User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you personally offended by the picture?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes absolutely. It's offensive and done in bad taste.

3 8.82%
  • I find it very distasteful, but I'm pretending I'm not personally affected.

2 5.88%
  • eh... I can understand people being offended but I really just don't care.

12 35.29%
  • No, people can't tell people when to smile in pictures or not. It's just a picture.

16 47.06%
  • I probably would have done this tbh.

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

while i still don't find it that offensive, the girl who posted that selfie was definitely trying to be provocative and is loving the attention this has gotten her.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Offensive no, bad taste and a sign of ignorance yes. Then again, what do you expect from a tween?!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I tend to assign theme songs to threads in my head and this has two competing ones

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Yes this is offensive and it should not have been done. However, she is a child and she simply made an error. I don't think she needs to be punished, but simply told by her parents how and why this is bad.

This is a place that demands respect and this is known and regarded by the world. I get what @five sounds is saying here, in that she was in a unique place to her, and wanted to commerate te moment and share what she was doing. However, what she should have done was taken a picture without her in it, or simply make a statement that she was there. People are upset over the fact that she appears to taken far too much self importance when it is not warranted. Her being of a young age though, she would not have reasonable ability to discern what is ok or not. She has no emotional connection to aushwitz, and therefore disregarded it.

The public shaming is over the top, but what she did is wrong, so it is understandable why people are reacting they way they are. They see a narcissistic kid and extend it as a reflection of todays youth and culture, and react accordingly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Just one more non-news story to take people's minds off of how bad they're getting F'ed by the gov't and upper 1%.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's not offensive to me.

Permabanned

Counter point:

Kids smiling to the camera.. In Darfur.

I think that when it comes to honoring tragedies, people have a very twisted notion of "sacred". We like to think of tragedy as something to purely mourn and wish to protect that purity, but in life tragedy is something you live through. The people in concentration camps didn't mope endlessly - they smiled & laughed, they played as children and fucked as adults. Their where kids who had an entire childhood in concentration camps, and they smiled no less then any other kids, a life with the hedonistic treadmill set much lower. Today, they would have being taking selfies.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Counter point:

Kids smiling to the camera.. In Darfur.

I think that when it comes to honoring tragedies, people have a very twisted notion of "sacred". We like to think of tragedy as something to purely mourn and wish to protect that purity, but in life tragedy is something you live through. The people in concentration camps didn't mope endlessly - they smiled & laughed, they played as children and fucked as adults. Their where kids who had an entire childhood in concentration camps, and they smiled no less then any other kids, a life with the hedonistic treadmill set much lower. Today, they would have being taking selfies.
    exactly. but the general us population tend to be emotional blow hards
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Ok, I've been to Auschwitz and Birkenau and had someone take a photo of me in front of this exact gate:

My computer got stolen and lost it forever (FML, lot's of good ones gone).

Anyway, I wasn't smiling, nor do I think I would have for a pic, but me and the boys managed to laugh at some stuff after because GOOD GOD it was like Disneyland from the darkest pit of Hell.

Actual prisoner barracks are turned into museum type rooms. THOUSANDS of prosthetic appendages behind glass in one, uncountable spectacles in another, BAILS OF HUMAN HAIR used in German textiles piled up, around a ton. Just to name a SMALL handful of possessions that were taken before they gassed or shot all those thousands of jews (I fucking had pictures of that stuff too, argh).

Then the hallway with about 1,000 or so prisoner's photographs, framed, faded sepia, ALL with shaved heads, ALL looking blankly, dead eyes. One of the creepiest, saddest, most horrific, jaw dropping experiences of my life.

This isn't just a museum, it's where it actually happened. Some barracks were done up just like they really were. Loose piles of straw on the wooden beds for sleeping.

And then there was the "Death Wall" near Block 11, where thousands of prisoners were executed with a bullet to the back of the head. Later, they started using more Zyklon-B, the deadly gas in the showers. The day we were there, about a dozen jewish people with yamakas were' milling around that area, saying prayers. Intense.

"The condemned prisoners had to strip naked in block 11, on the ground floor. Any women among them disrobed in separate rooms. The women were then led into the courtyard and shot first. The condemned prisoners were led to the wall in pairs. The SS executioner walked up from behind and shot them in the back of the head with a small-caliber rifle. Designated prisoners threw the corpses onto trucks or carts that delivered them to the crematoria."

SO. The fact that she went there and saw all that, major props to her. Smiling is a reaction to a photo and perhaps she was thinking of her father. WHO GIVES A FUCK.

I highly doubt she went around smiling when she was in front of the actual ovens where 10s of thousands of jews were cremated. Or when she walked throughout any of the blocks of horror, giving a thumbs up and tongue out.

People critical of this girl, GET A FUCKING LIFE.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If it wasn't a non-story before, to me it definitely became one after she explained her intentions. Imprudent to twitter, sure; but she's a kid (and kids make mistakes, they're kids), and some guy's threatening to kill her, etc etc etc? The Internet can be as frustrating as hell sometimes.

*abandons plans to selfie up on Wall Street, in case someone thinks I am taking pleasure in the US economic crash a few years back, where large numbers of people lost their homes to foreclosure*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft