User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

Default Recommend a place to read "unbiased" politics?

Does anyone know of any? I can't watch the news because it's almost funny to me how things are framed. I've seen it happen with both liberal and conservative media, so please refrain from mentioning places noted for strong allegiances in either direction (e.g. Fox News/MSNBC).

Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    Does anyone know of any? I can't watch the news because it's almost funny to me how things are framed. I've seen it happen with both liberal and conservative media, so please refrain from mentioning places noted for strong allegiances in either direction (e.g. Fox News/MSNBC).
    You can't. You could just watch cspan feeds of congress which would filter out media spin, but you would still be left with politician spin. You're only hope to try and get at the truth is with a dialectical approach that would probably include fox and msnbc. I myself get my news from fox, msnbc, bbc, skynews, aljazeera, and various journalists from other organizations on my twitter feed. I used to pay some attention to RT until they really turned the propaganda up during the Ukraine invasion.

Whatever you do stay the hell away from Vox (who apparently thought there was a bridge between Gaza and the West Bank), salon, and slate. I'm sure more liberal leaning folks would say the same thing about breitbart, redstate, and the free beacon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You can't. You could just watch cspan feeds of congress which would filter out media spin, but you would still be left with politician spin. You're only hope to try and get at the truth is with a dialectical approach that would probably include fox and msnbc. I myself get my news from fox, msnbc, bbc, skynews, aljazeera, and various journalists from other organizations on my twitter feed. I used to pay some attention to RT until they really turned the propaganda up during the Ukraine invasion.

Whatever you do stay the hell away from Vox (who apparently thought there was a bridge between Gaza and the West Bank), salon, and slate. I'm sure more liberal leaning folks would say the same thing about breitbart, redstate, and the free beacon.
    Yeah I think I'll read this one; it's one I haven't read. I suppose there's no easy way to rid of slant. I'll just read as much of them as possible and hope to be able to identify the framing.

Off topic: that pic and your profile pic are stunning. Are those you? The badassness exudes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

IMO Fox is pretty heavily slanted, but I agree with Al Jazeera and BBC. I think the foreign aspect helps weed out bias.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    IMO Fox is pretty heavily slanted, but I agree with Al Jazeera and BBC. I think the foreign aspect helps weed out bias.
    Yes, most of the evening infotainment is not worth anyone's time, but their "hard-news" reporters are the only MSM people that attempt to hold the Prez accountable. If MSNBC had treated Bush post-911 the way that fox treats Obama instead of giving him a free pass maybe we wouldn't have gone into Iraq (ok, he still would have gone, but at least there would have been some resistence).

Just yesterday NBC gave this misleading headline.

Later they changed it under pressure to reflect the actual quote which was that this "may be a terrible tragedy" Which is an obvious gaffe. The point is that their reflex is not to criticize and hold into account, but to give the benefit of the doubt and actively report in a manner that defends his reputation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Yes, most of the evening infotainment is not worth anyone's time, but their "hard-news" reporters are the only MSM people that attempt to hold the Prez accountable. If MSNBC had treated Bush post-911 the way that fox treats Obama instead of giving him a free pass maybe we wouldn't have gone into Iraq (ok, he still would have gone, but at least there would have been some resistence).

Just yesterday NBC gave this misleading headline.

Later they changed it under pressure to reflect the actual quote which was that this "may be a terrible tragedy" Which is an obvious gaffe. The point is that their reflex is not to criticize and hold into account, but to give the benefit of the doubt and actively report in a manner that defends his reputation.
    Eh, yeah, but I'm not impressed by what they consider holding him accountable. I lean liberal, but I've been disappointed by some of Obama's choices and I'm cool with people talking about them. But to me it seems like Fox is really into pinpointing a minor incident and flip out over it and talk about how awful he is, instead of seriously considering potential failures to act or poor strategy choices and ramifications on future policy and the viewpoint of the rest of the world and how this will affect other countries. Like you said, though, that's the nature of the nightly news. It's so much a show and hype-hype-hype.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Fox is so funny! The same restricted elocution and dead eyes and their framing. I gave up on MSNBC as well, after the Treyvon Martin case. The fact that they used a near decade old picture

You might be right about Jazeera and BBC; they seldom have anything invested in us (e.g. votes)

Permabanned

shotgun, not rifle...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Uhm.. there are some things you'll just have to formulate facts on via pieces of media. Some things are obvious and no matter what you watch it'll show the same thing--like the Boston tragedy recently. Some will be rife with lies and ugly opinions like when the lady was filibustering for abortion rights. The instance isn't that the media is terrible at reporting news--it's terrible at reporting blunt, honest cold-harded facts *only*. News isn't science. Even if you get something from lots of media sources, they can all be fooled and turn right around and all apologize about it the next day and change it up.

I like BBC somewhat. I like Aljazeera somewhat. I like local.fr ...I like news fix because it's quicker and convenient, not necessarily anymore helpful. I like local news casts because usually the segments aren't trying to get too involved in the world news segments so it sort of forces just the main facts out. I find all of those talk shows and radio shows and all that absolutely boring and annoying though, all that Rachel Maddow and Oreilly shit.

The thing about the news is, most of it was NOT designed for critical thinking. You have to do that outside of their fluff, and identify the facts from the case and weed it out of the fluff. The news is designed to deliver things in a neat package for people so they can understand a concept in a short period of time, and that usually comes with speculation to fill in the gaps that should for all rights be there and it's littered with opinion. Even 'foreign' broadcasts that we seem to think so highly of tend to be littered with things I don't care about.

No one really gives a down and dirty summary of things anymore, which is sad, but true. Even though Jon Stewart and those comedy guys aren't really news, I wish more news casts gave quick no-bullshit explanations "Hey, this shit's going on right now and this is all that's been reported on it really" without too much speculation. I either like really in depth explanations based on facts (which are rare and usually I just watch a news caster showing aspects and speculating for an hour or two) or short sweet simple facts.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    Fox is so funny! The same restricted elocution and dead eyes and their framing. I gave up on MSNBC as well, after the Treyvon Martin case. The fact that they used a near decade old picture

You might be right about Jazeera and BBC; they seldom have anything invested in us (e.g. votes)
    The BBC is funded by the British government and Al-Jazeera is funded by the ruling family in Qatar, so both networks are going to give you a perspective representative of those groups' ideology/interests. I distrust all news media, and if I care enough will research an issue myself.

There is no such thing as unbiased journalism.