123 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default 10 Fun Facts About the Millennial Generation

10 Fun Facts About the Millennial Generation

"1. Millennials prefer smaller government, if larger government requires high taxes.
    2. Millennials are cautious of government power.
    3. Millennials still want government to care for the disadvantaged.
    4. Millennials strongly prefer free markets over a government-managed economy.
    5. Millennials don’t like to be nannied.
    6. Millennials are entrepreneurial and like business.
    7. Millennials favor meritocracy over egalitarianism.
    8. Millennials are social liberals and fiscal centrists.
    9. To stimulate the economy, millennials want action.
    10. Millennials are the most racially diverse generation. "

What this tells me is that millenials aren't tuned in to the economy, to politics and to current events in general. They say they want free markets, but they support policies such as a "living minimum wage". They say they don't want a nanny state but they support the nanny state political party in droves. They say they like business but they support business killing policies like cap and trade. In short, these people (generally speaking) are statists who don't want to be called statists. The only bright spot in this poll are the millenials making $50,000 and more/year. 57% of millenials making over $100,000/year oppose wealth redistribution policies while only 39% of those making less than $20,000 oppose wealth redistribution.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    10 Fun Facts About the Millennial Generation

"1. Millennials prefer smaller government, if larger government requires high taxes.
    2. Millennials are cautious of government power.
    3. Millennials still want government to care for the disadvantaged.
    4. Millennials strongly prefer free markets over a government-managed economy.
    5. Millennials don’t like to be nannied.
    6. Millennials are entrepreneurial and like business.
    7. Millennials favor meritocracy over egalitarianism.
    8. Millennials are social liberals and fiscal centrists.
    9. To stimulate the economy, millennials want action.
    10. Millennials are the most racially diverse generation. "

What this tells me is that millenials aren't tuned in to the economy, to politics and to current events in general. They say they want free markets, but they support policies such as a "living minimum wage". They say they don't want a nanny state but they support the nanny state political party in droves. They say they like business but they support business killing policies like cap and trade. In short, these people (generally speaking) are statists who don't want to be called statists.
    Some of those statements are completely contradictory!

Millennials are for the most part "feel-good" people, we believe whatever sounds/feels good even if it's inconsistent and impractical. The only pro I can take about my generation over past ones is that we seem to take less drugs and not have orgies every weekend like the X'es especially. But that's not much.

The only bright spot in this poll are the millenials making $50,000 and more/year. 57% of millenials making over $100,000/year oppose wealth redistribution policies while only 39% of those making less than $20,000 oppose wealth redistribution.
    Only 57%? Shit.

I'm sorry (not sorry) that we are such a disappointment to you.

They say they want free markets, but they support policies such as a "living minimum wage".
    Why is there a "but"? Why are these two statements contradictory to you?

MBTI
    DEUS

57% of millenials making over $100,000/year oppose wealth redistribution policies while only 39% of those making less than $20,000 oppose wealth redistribution.
    Surprise.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, not really surprising that the people making the most money are more against wealth distribution. That's not a generational attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Millennials are for the most part "feel-good" people, we believe whatever sounds/feels good even if it's inconsistent and impractical. The only pro I can take about my generation over past ones is that we seem to take less drugs and not have orgies every weekend like the X'es especially. But that's not much.
    Gen X'ers are especially liable to do drugs and have orgies every weekend?

... well, fuck. Don't I feel like a loser.

Maybe there's a country/cultural divide here? In the US, we weren't the generation that promoted "free sex" and drugs through the 60's and swinger parties in the 70's. In fact, those things and the parental focus on their own work and play led Gen X kids to grow up more alone and so have a different attitude towards such things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, not really surprising that the people making the most money are more against wealth distribution. That's not a generational attitude.

Gen X'ers are especially liable to do drugs and have orgies every weekend?

... well, fuck. Don't I feel like a loser.

Maybe there's a country/cultural divide here? In the US, we weren't the generation that promoted "free sex" and drugs through the 60's and swinger parties in the 70's. In fact, those things and the parental focus on their own work and play led Gen X kids to grow up more alone and so have a different attitude towards such things.
    My parents were born in the mid 60s (borderline Boomer/X). My dad and his friends complain that it is much easier to get quick, no-strings attached sex now than it was when they were at university. It isn't that sex was hard to get, but a lot of the women were looking for a husband and would use sex in the hope that someone would "fall in love with them". At the very least, they expected some kind of relationship.

He thinks the attitude of women to sex has changed a lot, but the attitude of men hasn't changed at all.

It would make sense that selfish individualism and the sexual revolution didn't infect more distant parts of the world until a bit later. The corollary is that because we are smaller, it takes less time for new ideas to take hold. That is both good and bad.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    My parents were born in the mid 60s (borderline Boomer/X). My dad and his friends complain that it is much easier to get quick, no-strings attached sex now than it was when they were at university. A lot of the women were just looking for a husband and would use sex in the hope that someone would "fall in love with them". Unlikely.

I think selfish individualism and the sexual revolution didn't catch on in more distant parts of the world until a bit later. The corollary is that because we are smaller, it takes less time for new ideas to take hold. That is both good and bad.
    Yeah, I'm just saying it might be clearer if we specify the location (Europe, US, Australia, etc.) in conjunction with what amounts to cultural groups when making blanket statements. Because in the States, what you said is IMO very inaccurate, if I had to summarize the generations here. I can't speak for Gen X generations outside the US because I haven't experienced them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I'm just saying it might be clearer if we specify the location (Europe, US, Australia, etc.) in conjunction with what amounts to cultural groups when making blanket statements. Because in the States, what you said is IMO very inaccurate, if I had to summarize the generations here. I can't speak for Gen X generations outside the US because I haven't experienced them.
    You know I'm not American already, though. Right?!?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us
    Why is there a "but"? Why are these two statements contradictory to you?
    A mandated "living wage" is government interference. It means that the government knows better than the business owner what he/she can afford to spend on labor. That's not free market capitalism. Ideally, there should be no minimum wage.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

One thing I know... Republicans whining about how younger people are all free-loading lazy uninformed losers constantly isn't going to make them flock to the Republican party. I'm inclined to vote for a third party, but whenever I read something like that, I'm more inclined to vote Democratic just out of spite.

A lot of the conclusions you are drawing from that are pretty off. That data seems to suggest that the young people are more libertarian than you might think, not more "statist". I suspect you support a few "statist" policies. What makes the "statist" policies you support worse than the ones young people support?

I don't call myself a libertarian because I'm in favor of wealth distribution to some extent. It would be a fallacy to say that I "want everyone to be the same", but I think less income inequality (which is not the same as none) would be a good thing, and would solve a lot of other problems. High income inequality isn't really good for an economy, because then nobody can afford to buy any of the things that are being produced. Being in favor of wealth distribution doesn't make someone a Stalinist. That's like saying being anti-immigration makes someone a Nazi.

It's obvious that @SilentMusings is a Mana Party supporter from New Zealand.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78