User Tag List

First 456

Results 51 to 58 of 58

  1. #51
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    @Lateralus I am hyper-rational so that would appear "extreme" to the irrational people around me. What am I wrong about?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  2. #52
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,186

    Default

    Kids these days. .. I guess?

    As it stands, this poll at first glance (which is all the attention that most would give it) implies that the millennials' political values are not like that of previous generations. May or may not be the case. Who knows? Maybe all people, on the average, have similar views.

    I'd like to see the same poll given to other generations. A comparison with Gen X would be pretty neat.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  3. #53
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    @Lateralus I am hyper-rational so that would appear "extreme" to the irrational people around me. What am I wrong about?
    It is possible to support capitalism and a progressive income tax, minimum wage, and social security. The only way your argument could be anything but absurd is if you replace capitalism with anarcho-capitalism. Anarcho-capitalists are idealistic extremists, every bit as deluded as the communists of a century ago.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #54
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    It is possible to support capitalism and a progressive income tax, minimum wage, and social security.
    According to the poll:

    "4. Millennials strongly prefer free markets over a government-managed economy."

    This is bullshit. The minimum wage is an example of government intrusion into the free market.

    "5. Millennials don’t like to be nannied."

    This too is bullshit because Social Security, Obamacare, subsidized education, etc are all examples of nanny state policies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    The only way your argument could be anything but absurd is if you replace capitalism with anarcho-capitalism.
    Reagan cut the federal register in half and the economy thrived. There are dozens of examples of nations that have decreased spending (and the size of the government) and enjoyed great success. There isn't a single example of anarcho-capitalism; there are thousands of examples of government over-regulating and stifling the economy.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    According to the poll:

    "4. Millennials strongly prefer free markets over a government-managed economy."

    This is bullshit. The minimum wage is an example of government intrusion into the free market.
    Everything the government does is intrusion into the "free market". Everything. Literally.

    "5. Millennials don’t like to be nannied."

    This too is bullshit because Social Security, Obamacare, subsidized education, etc are all examples of nanny state policies.
    Maybe they're referring to other nanny state policies, like drug prohibition and bans on gay marriage. If you support drug prohibition, you support the nanny state and you're every bit as hypocritical as these millennials you are trying to demonize.

    Reagan cut the federal register in half and the economy thrived. There are dozens of examples of nations that have decreased spending (and the size of the government) and enjoyed great success. There isn't a single example of anarcho-capitalism; there are thousands of examples of government over-regulating and stifling the economy.
    This is a nonsensical response that doesn't address my post, at all.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #56
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Maybe they're referring to other nanny state policies, like drug prohibition. If you support drug prohibition, you support the nanny state and you're every bit as hypocritical as these millennials you are trying to demonize.
    This.

    It is subjective and for me and many I know, what is considered to be "nanny state" legsliation is not an across the board definition. Most of what I consider nanny state are excessive control over public safety and certain areas of public health. As I saw in another thread, banned bake sales in public schools? That's fucking bullshit. Same with playgrounds for kids being so idiot proof they are completely unfun. A good example is nearly all of former Mayor Bloomberg's public health policies and mandates in NYC. God I despised that man.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  7. #57
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    Everything the government does is intrusion into the "free market". Everything. Literally.
    There is a continuum of government intrusion into the markets. There is far more intrusion today than there was in the 80s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    Maybe they're referring to other nanny state policies, like drug prohibition and bans on gay marriage.
    Or maybe, they don't really know what they're talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    This is a nonsensical response that doesn't address my post, at all.
    You brought up the 'anarcho-capitalism' argument. What exactly is this and where have we seen it? Arguing for the least amount of intrusion into the markets is very different from arguing for zero intrusion. Where I draw the line is where business interests hurt public interests (for instance, dumping toxins into rivers).
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    There is a continuum of government intrusion into the markets. There is far more intrusion today than there was in the 80s.
    This doesn't support your position, at all. In fact, it supports mine (that you are a hypocrite).

    Or maybe, they don't really know what they're talking about.
    Why don't you ask them? Because it's easier for you to just label millions of people as stupid than to try to figure out why they believe what they believe. You are intellectually lazy.

    You brought up the 'anarcho-capitalism' argument. What exactly is this and where have we seen it? Arguing for the least amount of intrusion into the markets is very different from arguing for zero intrusion. Where I draw the line is where business interests hurt public interests (for instance, dumping toxins into rivers).
    I never said anarcho-capitalism has been practiced. I said your argument would only make sense if you replaced capitalism with anarcho-capitalism. You are an extremist and you don't even realize it. So sad.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 874
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM
  2. Replies: 506
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 10:51 PM
  3. So I've got I and T... but not so sure about the rest...
    By zhandao in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
  4. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO