User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default How we see women

I ran across this collection of artwork, and found it an interesting commentary on lingering stereotypes and prejudices about women. I've linked just a couple. The rest are here.

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Are Babi's parents from the 1950s?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Someone linked those pics on Facebook a while back -- could have been @Ivy. I really, really like them.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Two books that changed the way we see women are -

The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer,

and,

Odd Girl Out: the Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls by Rachel Simmons.

Both books changed the way both women and men see women.

And interestingly both books were written by women who are feminist.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I noticed those! They were really well done. Simple drawings from the heart, positive messages, there's not much to dislike here.
    @gromit I also thought that about the karate girl But then I remembered that my parents wouldn't let me play football in an age where football is definitely played by girls...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

What is amazing is that we change the way we see.

From the Enlightenment, universal literacy, liberal democracy, the emancipation of women, sexology, and the pill, we have changed the way we see women.

However this change has occurred only in prosperous and democratic parts of the world. In other parts of the world women are chattels who are bought and sold.

It's interesting, when economic conditions change, we change our minds.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

There is a very important distinction between allowing your daughter to learn karate, and actively promoting it as a better alternative to learning ballet, presumably because it "promotes gender stereotypes".

It is time the people here who constantly complain about gender stereotypes consider why these supposed stereotypes persist, despite the massive amount of social engineering that people in Western societies have been subjected to recently.

That males and females have different drives/preferences should makes sense from the rule that differences in form reflect differences in function, but for those who are 100% rigid empiricists: studies have shown that male and female nonhuman primates had different preferences in toys. This enraged feminists (I talked to one about it) because it is more evidence that gender differences in behaviour are not due to the patriarchy brainwashing women. If you accept the above, some aspects of feminist "theory" begin to fall apart, which explains why they are so resistant to accepting it.

If more girls want to learn ballet than karate, that's not anybody's "fault". Accept them as they are, like you love to tell me.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    There is a very important distinction between allowing your daughter to learn karate, and actively promoting it as a better alternative to learning ballet, presumably because it "promotes gender stereotypes".

It is time the people here who constantly complain about gender stereotypes consider why these supposed stereotypes persist, despite the massive amount of social engineering that people in Western societies have been subjected to recently.

That males and females have different drives/preferences should makes sense from the rule that differences in form reflect differences in function, but for those who are 100% rigid empiricists: studies have shown that male and female nonhuman primates had different preferences in toys. This enraged feminists (I talked to one about it) because it is more evidence that gender differences in behaviour are not due to the patriarchy brainwashing women. If you accept this, some aspects of feminist theory begin to fall apart, which explains why they are so resistant to accepting it.

If more girls want to learn ballet than karate, that's not anybody's "fault". Accept them as they are, like you love to tell me.

One of my favorites from the series.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

One of my favorites from the series.
    What's your point?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post

It is time the people here who constantly complain about gender stereotypes consider why these supposed stereotypes persist, despite the massive amount of social engineering that people in Western societies have been subjected to.

That males and females have different drives/preferences should makes sense from the rule that differences in form reflect differences in function, but for those who are 100% rigid empiricists: studies have shown that male and female nonhuman primates had different preferences in toys. This enraged feminists (I talked to one about it) because it is more evidence that gender differences in behaviour are not due to the patriarchy brainwashing women. If you accept this, some aspects of feminist theory begin to fall apart, which explains why they are so resistant to accepting it.

Then you should be happy about the girl whose idea of freedom was wearing high heels. We need to promote karate the same way we already promote ballet: as one of many possible activities. (Given the risk of sexual assault, though, karate is likely to be more practical.) The stereotypes persist because the most effective social engineering continues to encourage them. All those outreach programs, consciousness-raising, and artistic campaigns like this are still swimming upstream against a strong current of social and cultural inertia. There has been significant progress over the generations, but it is slow. The attitudes illustrated in these images are one of the last bastions of these outmoded habits. No, it is not outmoded for girls to take ballet, or to want a standard heterosexual relationship. It should be outmoded to hold them to the expectation that they will, and to judge them for making other choices.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...