User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Came home last night to see a young woman from down the street bringing her 2-3 year old daughter up on the front porch of my house to see my downstairs neighbor. They talked to my neighbor for a minute while I got my stuff together to get out of the car and go up to my own front door (on the same porch) and then they went to leave. The girl seemed disappointed and didn't want to go.

The mother said, "Honey, they are playing an xBox in there and that's not somethings that girls play with, that's a boy thing."

I suspect it's partly one of the made-up excuses on the spot that parents say to get their kids to comply when they need them to go along with the current plan, but at the same time the words were very very clear in labeling a gender-neutral activity that the girl obviously wanted to play as belonging to a particular gender... and the same reasoning probably gets provided in other circumstances as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Came home last night to see a young woman from down the street bringing her 2-3 year old daughter up on the front porch of my house to see my downstairs neighbor. They talked to my neighbor for a minute while I got my stuff together to get out of the car and go up to my own front door (on the same porch) and then they went to leave. The girl seemed disappointed and didn't want to go.

The mother said, "Honey, they are playing an xBox in there and that's not somethings that girls play with, that's a boy thing."

I suspect it's partly one of the made-up excuses on the spot that parents say to get their kids to comply when they need them to go along with the current plan, but at the same time the words were very very clear in labeling a gender-neutral activity that the girl obviously wanted to play as belonging to a particular gender... and the same reasoning probably gets provided in other circumstances as well.
    I didn't ever have to deal with that stigma, and I was 3 y/o 20 years ago. There are photos of my cousins -- both boys -- teaching me how to play SNES when they were 8 and 10 and I was about 2-3. I was a gamer for years, in my teens, and no one was rude to me about it. I guess that makes me lucky, and not part of the norm, if that stigma STILL exists 20 years later. And it makes me naive, as well, for thinking that American parents were mostly past that by now.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I didn't ever have to deal with that stigma, and I was 3 y/o 20 years ago. There are photos of my cousins -- both boys -- teaching me how to play SNES when they were 8 and 10 and I was about 2-3. I was a gamer for years, in my teens, and no one was rude to me about it. I guess that makes me lucky, and not part of the norm, if that stigma STILL exists 20 years later. And it makes me naive, as well, for thinking that American parents were mostly past that by now.
    I still run across fairly strong gender bias in some modern families. It is always surprising and disappointing, but fortunately there seems to be less of it over time. The more people like us these kids know, the more aware they will be of the full range of options open to them, whether male or female.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...