User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    What's your point?
    My point is, women can like girly things and masculine things and shouldn't be told that that isn't okay. "Enraged feminists" hate it when women like traditionally feminine things, because it supposedly weakens their cause. When in fact what should be the case is that all people of all genders can be interested in whatever they want. Regardless of studies, the point of the OP is to remind people not to judge, and it is aimed at both "enraged feminists" and folks with your viewpoint.

Edit: Pretty much what @Coriolis said.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    My point is, women can like girly things and masculine things and shouldn't be told that that isn't okay. "Enraged feminists" hate it when women like traditionally feminine things, because it supposedly weakens their cause. When in fact what should be the case is that all people of all genders can be interested in whatever they want. Regardless of studies, the point of the OP is to remind people not to judge, and it is aimed at both "enraged feminists" and folks with your viewpoint.
    I'm going to be politically incorrect and muddy the waters by observing that many traditionally feminine things are stupid and shouldn't be liked by anyone.

Does that make me an "enraged feminist"?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I'm going to be politically incorrect and muddy the waters by observing that many traditionally feminine things are stupid and shouldn't be liked by anyone.

Does that make me an "enraged feminist"?
    I can think of traditionally feminine AND traditionally masculine things that are stupid and shouldn't be liked by anyone.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I can think of traditionally feminine AND traditionally masculine things that are stupid and shouldn't be liked by anyone.
    That much is certainly true. My favorite of the images is this one:

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Then you should be happy about the girl whose idea of freedom was wearing high heels. We need to promote karate the same way we already promote ballet: as one of many possible activities. Actually, karate is likely to me more practical for women given the risk of sexual assault.
    Promote it for the purposes of self-defense then, not because the alternative "promotes gender stereotypes", a lie I have just debunked for you.

The stereotypes persist because the most effective social engineering continues to encourage them. All those outreach programs, consciousness-raising, and artistic campaigns like this are still swimming upstream against a strong current of social and cultural inertia.
    Males and females naturally perceive the world differently.

What you are referring to, I presume, are the beauty and entertainment industries, which encourage women to focus on their bodies. However this industry doesn't encourage women to be mothers, and take on feminine roles in society. I don't see how they do much except pander to female insecurity about their appearance, which is a very cynical way of making money. However, women have the choice not to buy those products.

By contrast, there is propaganda in universities actually denying biological sex differences, and more subtle forms of this exist in high and primary school education. Children don't have a choice about being exposed to much of this. In addition, it is very hard for a man to become a primary school or kindergarten teacher, which adds to the unbalanced environment. This is because left-wing women control the boards. After all, how could a man possibly want to teach young boys?

There has been significant progress over the generations, but it is slow. The attitudes illustrated in these images are one of the last bastions of these outmoded ideas. No, it is not outmoded for girls to take ballet, or to want a standard heterosexual relationship. It should be outmoded to hold them to the expectation that they will, and to judge them for making other choices.
    The idea that women should only be allowed to do ballet is an invention of Christian, 1950s society, and doesn't represent what I believe in. However, most women would rather become a ballet dancer than a black belt in karate anyway, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

Also as a last caveat: hardly anybody I know judges women for their life decisions to the extent they do men.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I agree. And it definitely goes both ways. A few of my guys friends posted this on facebook a few days ago. While a bit dramatic it gets the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Males and females naturally perceive the world differently.
    Not nearly as differently as we like to think we do. And how much of those differences can be attributed to biology is debatable.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It probably seems stupid, but the one that I was most insecure about (and thus appreciated the most) was this one:

I actually just had the conversation Tuesday with a friend in the lunch room -- she's 5'2" and can wear really tall heels but feels like she has to, in order to be at a manageable height, while I feel like I can never wear them. But some days I feel powerful and wear my 3-4" boot heels without caring how tall I am.

I doubt I'll ever own a $600 pair of shoes (like this name brand), nor do I care to; but focusing on the heels, I think way too much about "how tall I should be" or caring about my height and should just wear what I like and feel good about.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I agree. And it definitely goes both ways. A few of my guys friends posted this on facebook a few days ago. While a bit dramatic it gets the point across.

Not nearly as differently as we like to think we do. And how much of those differences can be attributed to biology is debatable.
    I posted a picture admitting that men and women have alot in common.

But saying that there are no biological differences is pretty stupid. The reason I fight that idea so hard is because it is based on an idea (egalitarianism) that is fundamentally wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Edit: Pretty much what @Coriolis said.
    I don't mind women doing most masculine things.

What I mind is them being told that those things are better for them to do, and that activities like ballet represent stereotypes. That is just not true.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The whole this is beautiful, this is also beautiful, omg everything is beautiful rubs me the wrong way, but I suppose women shouldn't be getting shit for not fitting into appearance parameters.