User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Do you wash your meat before you cook it?

Food Standards Agency - We are urging the public to stop washing raw chicken

Basically: Washing chicken spreads bacteria all over the place because people suck at actually being clean. Basically.

FSA Chief Executive, Catherine Brown, said: 'Although people tend to follow recommended practice when handling poultry, such as washing hands after touching raw chicken and making sure it is thoroughly cooked, our research has found that washing raw chicken is also common practice. That’s why we’re calling on people to stop washing raw chicken and also raising awareness of the risks of contracting campylobacter as a result of cross-contamination.
    I have never heard of this, and I have never washed any meat before cooking it. Is this a common thing in the UK or European countries? Or even here in the states and I'm just not aware of it?

It seems like common sense that it's going to be sanitary enough based on the fact that you're cooking it.. why is this step added into the process?

The most cited reasons people gave for washing chicken were the removal of dirt (36%), getting rid of germs (36%) and that that they had always done it (33%).
    I've never seen much dirt on chicken, and cooking it pretty much kills the germs.. So.. why? Is it a "it feels cleaner" sort of thing? Do people do this with all meat??

Usually, we get them in plastic bags, so when I'm cooking them I open the plastic shopping bag around it, cut it open, put the meat into the pan/pot, and tie the plastic bag back around the container and toss it. No mess, no fuss, and then you just wash your hands and voila.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

nope! never have even thought of washing meat.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

According to the article, 44% of people wash their uncooked chicken. That's quite a large number. It just never made sense for me to wash raw chicken, unless I dropped it on the floor. Wouldn't chicken lose flavor when you wash it?
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Yes, I wash the chickens. You don't know who's handled it and you don't know if the butchering process introduced fecal contamination on the surface. I wash everything except for ground beef.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Yes, I wash the chickens. You don't know who's handled it and you don't know if the butchering process introduced fecal contamination on the surface. I wash everything except for ground beef.
    I mean.. Water won't really knock off any fecal matter contamination though, I hope you realize? If there's fecal matter on a chicken, washing off the parts you think you see/might not see won't actually eliminate it. That's precisely why you have to cook it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've washed boneless chicken from supermarkets because it often has some sort of gel-like substance on it. It's probably a benign preservative, but the thought of cooking it into the food is not appetizing.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Nope, I don't, never did.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I wash chicken but I know how to clean my sink as well. No cross contamination with utensils or cutting boards either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've washed boneless chicken from supermarkets because it often has some sort of gel-like substance on it. It's probably a benign preservative, but the thought of cooking it into the food is not appetizing.
    It's juice from the poultry that has been affected by cold temperatures, the same stuff that appears when you put leftover chicken in the fridge. All you're accomplishing is removing chicken-flavour.

Honestly, what a strange habit. Washing eggs I could kind of understand, but this is just silly. Do people also wash their steaks?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Nope. I normally don't wash it because it is going to be heated anyway. I do wash my hands and knife and cutting board afterwards though to avoid cross-contamination before proceeding to cut other ingredients.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari