First 1234 Last

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I don't wash chicken, but pork, then pat it dry.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Hmm interesting. Yes, I occasionally wash poultry before cooking (generally whole birds, not pieces) but have no rationale for that aside from cookbooks telling me to do it or my Mom advocating it.

I would have liked that page to explain more about why you shouldn't wash chicken. The only "why" in there is because water droplets can spread the bacteria around. Like, show a video of the water droplets landing all over the place to illustrate the point, show test results of surface bacterial contamination even when you think you're being sanitary, stuff like that.

No one likes to be told "don't do X" without the WHY or proof of the WHY. It's just as bad as doing something without knowing WHY, really.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's juice from the poultry that has been affected by cold temperatures, the same stuff that appears when you put leftover chicken in the fridge. All you're accomplishing is removing chicken-flavour.

Honestly, what a strange habit. Washing eggs I could kind of understand, but this is just silly. Do people also wash their steaks?
    No, that's not what it is. I know what you are talking about and this is something different.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Hmm interesting. Yes, I occasionally wash poultry before cooking (generally whole birds, not pieces) but have no rationale for that aside from cookbooks telling me to do it or my Mom advocating it.

I would have liked that page to explain more about why you shouldn't wash chicken. The only "why" in there is because water droplets can spread the bacteria around. Like, show a video of the water droplets landing all over the place to illustrate the point, show test results of surface bacterial contamination even when you think you're being sanitary, stuff like that.

No one likes to be told "don't do X" without the WHY or proof of the WHY. It's just as bad as doing something without knowing WHY, really.
    It's all about water droplets. Think of, for example, a cold. Transmitted by water droplets. It survives days and proliferates after leaving the source. No matter how clean you think you are usually you end up getting sick eventually.

The chicken when hit by the water splashes. .. you don't notice the drops on the counter, or on your sponge, you miss a spot in the sink or on the utensil in the sink with it. The water helps the bacteria versus stopping it and sanitizing it like people think. If you're a slightly ocd mom cleaning type you might not worry... but for most of us we don't clean things to restaurant standards, and washing the chicken is inviting a higher risk of infection. And a particularly bad infection too.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

It's all about water droplets. Think of, for example, a cold. Transmitted by water droplets. It survives days and proliferates after leaving the source. No matter how clean you think you are usually you end up getting sick eventually.

The chicken when hit by the water splashes. .. you don't notice the drops on the counter, or on your sponge, you miss a spot in the sink or on the utensil in the sink with it. The water helps the bacteria versus stopping it and sanitizing it like people think. If you're a slightly ocd mom cleaning type you might not worry... but for most of us we don't clean things to restaurant standards, and washing the chicken is inviting a higher risk of infection. And a particularly bad infection too.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, that's not what it is. I know what you are talking about and this is something different.
    I have no idea what you're talking about here... slimy chicken means it's turning, and chicken breast is naturally slippery because the fat hangs out around it vs inside the meat because it's a leaner cut. The fats and juices gel up when cold but those are natural p parts of the chicken.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Yeah, my mom washes chicken too and has me do it when I'm home. Thanks for the article @kyuuei.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Permabanned

I don't wash chicken, but when I handle it, I treat that shit like it's radioactive material.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Yes, I wash the chickens. You don't know who's handled it and you don't know if the butchering process introduced fecal contamination on the surface. I wash everything except for ground beef.
    ^ pretty much this. Very paranoid about how it has been handled previously. I also don't like seeing that meat liquid that forms in those dishes that hold the meat.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Yes, I wash the chickens. You don't know who's handled it and you don't know if the butchering process introduced fecal contamination on the surface. I wash everything except for ground beef.
    what kind of detergent should i use when washing my meat?
    is it different for red meat el al?

please let me know.

also what if i do know who handled it??? if i know them and they're not sick do i still need to bleach the chicken....
    we fukin won boys