User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I mean I only can't post because Texas isn't a recognized country.
    Exception to thread premise granted.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

The natural environment, which is pretty cool, snowy mountains, volcanoes, forests, steppe, as well the lakes and sea.
    No big cities except Auckland (which is another country...none of the positives mentioned here apply to that shithole)
    Very low crime - I don't have to lock my door at night
    The beer is of high quality, not that expensive and there is a wide variety available.
    People are generally friendly and happy to help if you get in trouble
    The Lord of the Rings?
    Venison pies...lol

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post

Doesn't help that we re forced to vote - we get fined if we don't.
    I kind of like it when countries do that (Australia is another one, I think). I think we should do that (not that we will). There are penalties for not going to jury duty, why not voting? It's even much less annoying than jury duty.

You didn't mention this fine thespian:

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I kind of like it when countries do that (Australia is another one, I think). I think we should do that (not that we will). There are penalties for not going to jury duty, why not voting? It's even much less annoying than jury duty.

You didn't mention this fine thespian:

Coz forcing college students who have been living on 4 hours of sleep for three weeks to give up their entire sunday by mandating they man the voting boot, or even just interrupting their studying process by making them stand in line for 2 hours to vote isn't the best way to get quality votes as they're more worried about the exam they'll be flunking on monday.

And coz I really resent having to vote - I'd like to have the choice. I literally felt free the second I moved to Norway where I could decide if it was worth my time to go stand in line like a clown. And mostly because it is done so certain parties don't lose their automatic votes of the people who could care less about politics and vote the same just coz.

It used to be possible to make an invalid vote in protest - now with PCs, that isn't even a possibility anymore. You no longer have the choice to reject *all* the parties for being blundering idiots. You have to pick an idiot. And give up your sunday coz they mandated it. And do so often, since they cannot put together a government to save their lives and therefore require a revote.

I really hate being told what to do without having any option to *actually* opt in.

We don't do as much jury duty as you guys, from what I understand. And jury duty is..I dunno. I can see the validity of that, the importance as someone's fate is at stake. Otoh, my vote should be mine to do with what I want.

And you don't want to know the amount of mockery Jean Claude van Damme gets over here and the cringing he induces to have him associated with our country at times

I am semi-proud of the social system we have to help out people. But the execution of it is... so meh. I do prefer us putting our money in helping our population when they're down on their luck to walking on the moon though.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Coz forcing college students who have been living on 4 hours of sleep for three weeks to give up their entire sunday by mandating they man the voting boot, or even just interrupting their studying process by making them stand in line for 2 hours to vote isn't the best way to get quality votes as they're more worried about the exam they'll be flunking on monday.
    I hadn't considered the fact that the lines would be a lot longer if everyone was voting. For midterms (where the lower chamber of Congress is elected every two years), there's usually no line at all. I confess I did not vote in primaries because I did not know who the candidates were. I need to follow local politics more. Also, ours is on a Tuesday for some reason. My polling place is just down the block at the fire station, and it's easy enough for me to do before work.

You have to pick an idiot. And give up your sunday coz they mandated it.
    Maybe if everyone had to pick an idiot, the idiots would have to get less idiotic. Alternatively, what if there was an option for a write-in vote? Would that be better?

And do so often, since they cannot put together a government to save their lives and therefore require a revote.
    That would be annoying, but I see that as separate from mandatory voting.

We don't do as much jury duty as you guys, from what I understand. And jury duty is..I dunno. I can see the validity of that, the importance as someone's fate is at stake. Otoh,
    Jury duty can take up a whole day, too, and you might not even get selected for a jury. I almost got a chance to sit on a case about some self-storage company vs. a town government, though! Apparently they couldn't build additional units because of zoning restrictions. The stakes couldn't be higher!

I am semi-proud of the social system we have to help out people. But the execution of it is... so meh. I do prefer us putting our money in helping our population when they're down on their luck to walking on the moon though.
    We're not doing things like that, either, these days. Too wasteful, and just lines the pockets of scientists Satanists who want to snort crack off of Bibles.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I wouldn't say the United States rules, but some positive things about it are:
    - Lots of semi-distinct cultures (for example, the Deep South, New England, and the Pacific Northwest are all very different), though to be fair that's probably common for most large countries.
    - Some of the large coastal cities like NYC are kaleidoscopes of world culture because of immigration. It's like having a slice of every part of the world in one place.
    - Its physical beauty. (Okay, inevitably there are some ugly places too.)
    - The gregariousness/friendliness of the people.
    - One of the leading nations in scientific research, innovation and technology.
    - Animal welfare laws are more progressive than in many countries (but TBH should still be a lot better).
    - Not the artistic/cultural wasteland that many think it is. Yes, we unleashed Jeff Koons, Katy Perry, and Michael Bay on the world, but Francis Ford Coppola, Bob Dylan and Kurt Vonnegut are/were Americans too.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Exception to thread premise granted.
    Whoo hoo!!

Texas is awesome because 1. Everyone knows who we are even though we're not even a country. 2. Everyone knows our good stereotypes too--most people only know bad stereotypes. 3. We have rodeos. 4. People actually die at our rodeos.. not too many soccer players can say that!! (insert hardcore emot here) 5. We let anyone become a Texan, at least for a day. We'll take ya and teach y'all proper slang. We taught a whole school of Djiboutian children how to say "Howdy" to properly greet people in English.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Dup.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@kyuuei Ya gotta rep Tejas, it is its own country.

As for my answer for the U.S.:

Jazz, Rock-n-Roll & Hip Hop. If there were nothing else we did, this is a freaking Opus.
    The 60's counter-culture, civil rights, free-thinkers that changed the world, primarily because we were fucked up enough that something had to change.
    The amusing idea that we're so backwards with social policy in spite of the above, but are still trying to carry the flag in legalizing pot and gay marriage.
    Tech center of the universe, software-wise.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Michael Bay.

Visit my Johari: