12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Private Company Sued For Firing Non-English-Speaking Employees

The Obama administration is cracking down on "discrimination" based on inability to speak English on the job.

Federal Gov’t Sues Wisconsin Company, Says English-Language Requirement is 'Discrimination' | CNS News
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned

uhh...depends on the function of the company. overall...seems not kosher.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    uhh...depends on the function of the company. overall...seems not kosher.
    Should American bosses have to learn other languages in order to manage their non-English employees?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

They got in legal trouble for firing them, which begs the question of why they were hired in the first place. It is common to have a certain level of communication ability as a position requirement up front when hiring, and as far as I know it is not illegal to not hire based on someone's inability to speak well - that seems to be an important factor in many hiring decisions. Unless I have misunderstood the case, it just sounds like the company needs to work on its hiring practices.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Yet another reason why I'm glad I don't live in America...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I can only seem to find this news story on lesser known news sites that all have a clear political bent. As such, I am very dubious over this and feel the full picture is not being given. Nevertheless, let's assume for a second that this is actually what's occuring:

What a crock of horseshit that lawsuit is.

Hendrickson said in the release. “When speaking English fluently is not, in fact, required for the safe and effective performance of a job, nor for the successful operation of the employer’s business, requiring employees to be fluent in English usually constitutes employment discrimination on the basis of national origin — and thus violates federal law.”
    I do not agree with this, however it is a fair statement.

But Garcia said the ability to speak English is necessary for employees of Wisconsin Plastics, Inc., but that the employees in question “were not able to speak English at any kind of level that would be considered proficient.”
    If they can prove this, then this lawsuit is going to get thrown out and the admistration is going to look like a bunch of social justice assholes (as they should).
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    They got in legal trouble for firing them, which begs the question of why they were hired in the first place. It is common to have a certain level of communication ability as a position requirement up front when hiring, and as far as I know it is not illegal to not hire based on someone's inability to speak well - that seems to be an important factor in many hiring decisions. Unless I have misunderstood the case, it just sounds like the company needs to work on its hiring practices.
    Maybe they hired them for whatever tax breaks or benefits the government gives companies for hiring minorities, however unqualified they may be.

On a related note, in celebration of our most American of holidays, I got a good laugh out of this:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I worked in HR before and I don't think you can fire someone based on their 'incompetency' if you have already hired them past the probation period. If they are really incompetent you need to have set the proper PMIs at the beginning, have a lengthy formal evaluation process, and a long trail of written warnings prior to the actual firing. So this is why we stress so much that the probation evaluation is extremely important because if you don't do it properly you're gonna be stuck with the person forever.

But maybe it's different in the US...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Interesting. Particularly that this happened in Wisconsin of all states.

The region of California I'm from has a population of over 50% that claims to be Hispanic, according to the most recent census. Having worked at a secondhand clothing store, I encountered a lot of them who are not able to have even the most basic of conversations in English. Which, can be frustrating at times. My managers eventually made it a priority to have Spanish speaking employees. Which, in a way ends up causing a level of discrimination against applicants that don't speak Spanish...

Anyway. As the daughter of a small business owner I definitely have a bias on this issue. But, it is fishy that these people were hired in the first place. If the company is that adamant about their employees having a certain degree of English fluency they shouldn't have hired these people in the first place.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Should American bosses have to learn other languages in order to manage their non-English employees?
    perhaps, to be competitive. they're not under an obligation to.