User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    In reality, some ethnicities/races need to have less children and others more to restore an equilibrium.
    You should apply for an internship at Ann Coulter's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You should apply for an internship at Ann Coulter's office.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

According to life history theory, there are two types of people: those with fast life strategies and those with slow life histories. The fast trajectory individuals take more risks, are more impulsive, and often die young. The slow ones delay gratification and play it safe. What we've learned is that the stability of the environment plays a role in deciding which strategy people adopt. In dangerous and unpredictable places like Niger, women have babies at a much earlier age ("Fast strategies are adaptive in environments that are dangerous and unpredictable."). When the environment is safe and stable, we get more of the slow trajectory people.

What the stats tell me is that the millenials have probably been spoiled silly by their parents. They've adopted the slow strategy because they're living in comfort.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    What the stats tell me is that the millenials have probably been spoiled silly by their parents. They've adopted the slow strategy because they're living in comfort.
    What generation are you? Someone raised millenials, and apparently, from what I've heard, they didn't do a very good job.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Yes, but only because his general views are already well known. I introduced world population trends just to fuck with his nationalist approach to the topic.
    Should I take this to be representative of your position, at least in part? i.e. Nationalism is bad. I don't know how this relates to higher age of marriage though, could you elaborate? What do you think of the graph presented in the OP? Do you have any solutions/ideas? I'm more inclined to think that this has more to do with what you told me in ventrilo the other day. That you went to ventrilo specifically to F with @SilentMusings vs. anything more substantive. If not please advise. As to solutions/thoughts I'll go first.

I've shared my thoughts in a prior post in this thread but I will elaborate here. The planet needs healthy children, duh. The government plays a major role in incentivizing single parenthood via free daycare, welfare, food stamps, after school programs etc. "We" know that children brought up in a single parent environment have great-very greatly increased chances for all kinds of social maladies; high drop out rates, criminality up through adulthood, drug abuse, being a victim of sexual/physical abuse etc. Single parenthood is increasing. The nuclear family is pretty much in a downward spiral. Irrespective of where "we" stand on the nuclear family, on a macro level our current course will likely lead to a larger role for government as The Daddy State (tm). I think this is inefficient and counter productive when it comes down to raising healthy kids. This is my part of the solution, dialogue. Can we agree there is a problem?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2
    Someone raised millenials, and apparently, from what I've heard, they didn't do a very good job.
    I blame the public schools in addition to lousy parenting.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Should I take this to be representative of your position, at least in part? i.e. Nationalism is bad.
    You can.

I don't know how this relates to higher age of marriage though, could you elaborate?
    It does not. It relates to another post in a thread about higher age of marriage.

What do you think of the graph presented in the OP? Do you have any solutions/ideas?
    I take it as a presentation of facts, not as a problem. The structural details of society change all the time. I am more curious to see new models of living than concerned about the loss of old conditions. People always make do.

I'm more inclined to think that this has more to do with what you told me in ventrilo the other day. That you went to ventrilo specifically to F with @SilentMusings vs. anything more substantive. If not please advise. As to solutions/thoughts I'll go first.
    I always check who is on Vent before I log on... So, no, you got that wrong. It would be great fun to talk to him in real time, but I doubt I would go to Vent just to meet him.

But how is wanting to challenge someone's ideas not substantial? Critical discourse is an important tool in bringing about alternative perspectives, changing other people's minds. It also happens to be entertainment for me.

The planet needs healthy children, duh. The government plays a major role in incentivizing single parenthood via free daycare, welfare, food stamps, after school programs etc. "We" know that children brought up in a single parent environment have great-very greatly increased chances for all kinds of social maladies; high drop out rates, criminality up through adulthood, drug abuse, being a victim of sexual/physical abuse etc. Single parenthood is increasing. The nuclear family is pretty much in a downward spiral. Irrespective of where "we" stand on the nuclear family, on a macro level our current course will likely lead to a larger role for government as The Daddy State (tm). I think this is inefficient and counter productive when it comes down to raising healthy kids. This is my part of the solution, dialogue. Can we agree there is a problem?
    If there is a problem, it would be, as you just said, 'that children brought up in a single parent environment have [...] greatly increased chances for all kinds of social maladies', not that the age of marriage is rising. To address this problem by incentivizing a family model that has shown to be problematic for a large number of people seems like a helpless remedy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Actually, that does not follow at all from your previous summary of slow vs. fast "strategies".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Society

i really don't see why married people are threatened by this - if anything this makes it more likely that your kids will do better then more of their generation (a.k.a. children of single parent households) and be more successful in society - you are gaining a competitive edge - why is that a negative?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

People always make do.
    We do indeed. It's amazing what "we" can adapt to really.

I'd posit that the the graph (statement of facts) also illustrates a "problem" in so much as it is an indicator of the willingness/unwillingness of men and women to forge relationships that result in marriage and eventually families. There is a positive correlation between age of marriage and parenthood. I am sure there are many a happy "family" that are unmarried and raising healthy children, which the graph does not track for. Waiting to marry = waiting to have kids as several studies have shown the average age of parents rising. This impacts "the system". One example is the U.S. model for Social Security, i.e. current beneficiaries are paid with money that is taxed from the current working population so waiting to have kids as well as how many kids (# of kids is another issue of course) you have messes with this model. Social Security is an important issue for many people.

Helen Smith wrote a book on the growing trend to delay marriage (as a legal institution) and "what it means". Helen Smith (psychologist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That book is titled: Amazon.com: Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters (9781594036750): Helen Smith: Books

Here is a video of her discussing the book:

If there is a problem, it would be, as you just said, 'that children brought up in a single parent environment have [...] greatly increased chances for all kinds of social maladies', not that the age of marriage is rising. To address this problem by incentivizing a family model that has shown to be problematic for a large number of people seems like a helpless remedy.
    I don't know what model could work "better" but we had a model that worked, we are moving to a model that isn't working (currently). My mind is open to other ideas/possibilities but for the moment I have to conclude that the "old model" is better, i.e. a couple and their children is the optimal structure of the family unit that society depends on.

Not everyone wants/is going to have kids. I get that and in that case the above is moot, as we already know that marriage as an institution has no bearing on being able to enjoy the fruits of a meaningful relationship.

What do you think might be a move in the right direction Nicodemus?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft