User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Stephen H. Webb wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal about how soccer is ruining America. Apparently conservatives' worldview is threatened by a recreational sport...
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    Stephen H. Webb wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal about how soccer is ruining America. Apparently conservatives' worldview is threatened by a recreational sport...
    Maybe because conservatives' worldview is centered around the idea of being threatened.

The funny thing is that football is probably the most progressive sport. They change rules all the time and there's just not the same respect for historic players like you see in baseball. Even the economics of football is progressive with salary caps and profit-sharing.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The funny thing is that football is probably the most progressive sport. They change rules all the time and there's just not the same respect for historic players like you see in baseball. Even the economics of football is progressive with salary caps and profit-sharing.
    I like American football more than baseball. My parents are from Chicago, so knowing all about the silly Cubs-Sox rivalry was forced on me. There's also so much strategy behind American football, and I can definitely respect that.

I guess my main point is that I think baseball is boring, and I'm not sure how anyone can claim that it's a more exciting or interesting game than soccer, or even enjoy it sober.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

interest in reality tv of 3 year old strippers throwing chocolate milk at each other's faces and cracked out in the mcdonald's play place isn't contributing to moral decay of this country. it's soccer! good to know
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Maybe because conservatives' worldview is centered around the idea of being threatened.
    That is not an unlikely premise.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    She's getting in an anti Kennedy dig while injecting immigration into the equation. Then whips out a True Scotsmen followed by a very real concern some centrists and most right'ists have with immigration, the unwillingness/willingness of certain immigrant groups to assimilate via learning English, with a small dig at soccer by calling it a fetish
    According to online accounts of the history of soccer, it was first brought to the US by immigrants in the 1850s. I suppose these immigrants would be the great-great-great grandfathers of today's American soccer players and fans. The same references (e.g. Wikipedia) also mention that the Native Americans had their own variation of soccer. If so, soccer is as home-grown as it gets.

Relating soccer to moral decay in America today makes even less sense than blaming global warming on the decline of piracy. At least one can show correlation for the latter, if not causality:

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Relating soccer to moral decay in America today makes even less sense than blaming global warming on the decline of piracy. At least one can show correlation for the latter, if not causality:

That is a hella funny! WTF pirates?!

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    ...mention that the Native Americans had their own variation of soccer.
    I vaguely recall that it was was the Aztecs? or Zapotecs? who played "hip ball" a game like soccer in that they didn't use their hands but their hips. They were pretty hardcore though, with the losers being killed afterwards or some such ill fate.

Update: Found it, Ulama (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

She can very eloquently say nothing yet emboss it with enough vocabulary and syntax to mimic something far more profound. I don't think she's stupid; I think she's made a name for herself by being extremist; a part of me believes this was said for publicity.

Quick, summon Tellenbach.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian