User Tag List

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Should women be allowed to be topless in public?

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Given some men's inclinations toward violence and impulsivity, though, is female toplessness always wise?
    No. Nor is it always feasible, given that some people live in areas with cold seasons. I also strongly suspect the fashion industry would spend billions on marketing efforts to keep women shopping before toplessness became a sustainable trend anywhere.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really care, but I think the same standard whatever that is should apply to both sexes. Personally I would prefer not to see shirtless people (male or female) everywhere I go, but maybe that's just me.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    NF
    Enneagram
    4dw sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

It would be nice not to have to cater to temper tantrums though, and instead be able to just think 'ohh, what do I want to wear today?'
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Given some men's inclinations toward violence and impulsivity, though, is female toplessness always wise?
    People in certain countries in Asia and Africa make the same argument about going without a headscarf. I don't think male-on-female violence is any better in those countries, than in countries where headscarves aren't the cultural norm for women. Similarly, the French are much more comfortable with toplessness than Americans are, but their level of male-on-female violence is not worse than ours.

Also, see Lady X's post below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    women being arrested for wearing "lewd" swimsuits
    Attachment 12115

women being stopped to have their suits measured.
    Attachment 12116
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I feel very strongly about this topic. My great grandmother was a pioneer for women's rights. At the beach one day, she exposed her left ankle and they burned her at the stake.

So please, ladeez, don't let my great granny die in vain. Set the nipple free. I have beads.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    People in certain countries in Asia and Africa make the same argument about going without a headscarf. I don't think male-on-female violence is any better in those countries, than in countries where headscarves aren't the cultural norm for women. Similarly, the French are much more comfortable with toplessness than Americans are, but their level of male-on-female violence is not worse than ours.

Also, see Lady X's post below:
    Cultural concealment of the female form definitely correlates with patriarchal oppression. I imagine a society must ease from one norm to another to minimize damages; even if public toplessness were legalized today I couldn't recommend it without proper precautions. With the female form exalted as it is by media, and media being the primary tool for manipulation of US values, I assume an adjustment period would be necessary; taboos aren't erased overnight.

So, in short, I agree, with a dash of cynicism and wariness.

I don't think it should be illegal.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think it should be less illegal, but not ok to walk down the street with your top off.

At the beach OK. At Mardi Gras OK. Reasonable accommodation.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    NF
    Enneagram
    4dw sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

It is a great start but why not go for equality?

A guy wont go to work shirtless (unless he is in construction or something) or to class, church or other official places but they do get to on the street when it is hot( cant telk you how many times ive envied that when dying of heat; hell just even in my own backyard without worrying about the neighbours)beach etc. Lets start there.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Generally, I think adults should decide whether or not they want to go topless at the beach --outside of that environment, things get murkier for me. Time/place/context etc... all bears relevance. There is certainly room for expansive change in the future as the public becomes gradually inured to waist-up nudity.

I also have no issue with public breastfeeding. I breastfed my son, in public at times, and I chose to use a nursing cover.

But (always a caveat)... I am not down with the idea that a woman with milk-engorged breasts could potentially be legally protected to choose to leak breastmilk (it IS a bodily fluid that can transmit disease) all over a restaurant table --without a child in sight-- while I'm trying to enjoy my lemon-rosemary salmon because it's a legally-sanctioned FFA titfest in every conceivable environment and some chick's trying to make a point and "like... wants to be free, man."

So yeah, context, it matters and stuff.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."