User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    The question arises, do women collectively really want breasts to be desexualized in the eyes of men? Sexual appeal is a form of power and control, one that many women use to their advantage to procure wealth and status; some deliberately use their sexuality to further their careers, as well. Without this asset/burden (however you choose to look at it), women may feel more equal to men in a certain sense, but with that may come some undesirable consequences.
    They aren't going to be desexualized. Even though I'm used to guys not wearing shirts in public, that doesn't mean I'm not turned on when a particularly sexy shirtless guy walks by.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    They aren't going to be desexualized. Even though I'm used to guys not wearing shirts in public, that doesn't mean I'm not turned on when a particularly sexy shirtless guy walks by.
    I don't see how there couldn't be some degree of desexualization if men become desensitized to seeing breasts. The nature of desensitization is that the subject becomes less sensitive or responsive to the stimulus.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

The question arises, do women collectively really want breasts to be desexualized in the eyes of men? Sexual appeal is a form of power and control, one that many women use to their advantage to procure wealth and status; some deliberately use their sexuality to further their careers, as well. Without this asset/burden (however you choose to look at it), women may feel more equal to men in a certain sense, but with that may come some undesirable consequences.
    Studies have shown that one reason women choose not to breastfeed is because they think it would diminish the sexual appeal of their breasts. It's a choice between the function as either nurturance or sex objects. Considering the benefits of breastfeeding, one wonders how this affects society at large and women themselves. However, breasts being desexualized, so as to be seen for their biological function, may be regressive to women's roles in modern society. The idea of this is likely distasteful to most women.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That and, ahem, while a minority might actively use their cleavage to their advantage, it's kinda insulting to imply that women depend on boobs to find and/or keep a decent job.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    Studies have shown that one reason women choose not to breastfeed is because they think it would diminish the sexual appeal of their breasts. It's a choice between the function as either nurturance or sex objects. Considering the benefits of breastfeeding, one wonders how this affects society at large and women themselves. However, breasts being desexualized, so as to be seen for their biological function, may be regressive to women's roles in modern society. The idea of this is likely distasteful to most women.
    Agreed. I think many women would be opposed to the idea, realistically, when faced with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    That and, ahem, while a minority might actively use their cleavage to their advantage, it's kinda insulting to imply that women depend on boobs to find and/or keep a decent job.
    Someone in the forum posted a link recently in reference to the statistics of women in the workforce, as far as wages and types of employment, suggesting that these numbers are often skewed or portrayed deceptively for political purposes without looking at the bigger picture. I can't attest to the (in)accuracy of that claim or the statistics. You make a good point that women shouldn't have to rely on their sexuality, though I think it happens more than people want to admit, even when women don't actually engage in sexual activity with superiors, but dress seductively to elicit a response. I believe they've done studies which have found that attractive people, among both sexes, tend to be more successful professionally. Don't quote me on that. I've certainly noticed that a lot of men in upper management positions tend to be taller; I don't think that is a coincidence and it coincides with statistics that taller men, on average, make more money and are usually perceived as more attractive. I think this is not only associated with cultural ideals of masculinity and male sexual appeal, but power in general. Taller people are considered more powerful. This puts women at a disadvantage because they are universally shorter than men. Women are less physically imposing, usually not as muscular, and are consequently perceived as less powerful. Just as shorter men have learned to deal with being given less respect (hence the Napoleon complex in extreme cases) women have learned to rely on their sexuality to compensate for the lack of power they wield, which is a form of manipulative control in itself, to get what they want. Sure, in an ideal world, people would be treated equally regardless of height, gender and physical appearances; but realistically, if you take away women's sexual appeal, I think it will result in less power at their fingertips.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

That power instantly becomes available by acting sexually receptive - and you don't need boobs to do that.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    That power instantly becomes available by acting sexually receptive - and you don't need boobs to do that.
    No, but I'm sure it helps when dealing with heterosexual men. The power of boobs and the response they command is the subject of this thread, more or less.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Its nothing compared to the power of seductive behavior though.

And ironically, i find the power of boobs is greater when you actually dress them up nicely

Wonder Bra anyone?

So, personally im not too worried about losing feminine 'power' in that department.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    DEUS

I doubt that's going to be a problem. Women who cover their breasts are probably going to be seen as being much more desirable than those who do not, concentrating the power in those who will not indulge in the freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Its nothing compared to the power of seductive behavior though.

And ironically, i find the power of boobs is greater when you actually dress them up nicely

Wonder Bra anyone?
    I'm more of an ass man myself. Don't get me wrong. I like a nice pair of titties as much as the next guy, but my eyes are instinctively drawn to the gluteal curvature of a woman's back side. Until recently, it didn't occur to me that other people can see my not-so-subtle ass gazing, so I've learned to be a little more discreet.

But, yes, even a woman who is not well-endowed with such assets can be quite alluring with her personality.