User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should the word Bossy be banned?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 8.33%
  • No

22 91.67%
123 Last

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Default Should Bossy be banned?

There is currently an ongoing campaign to ban the word bossy from use in the U.S. Ban Bossy. Encourage Girls to Lead Here is their mission statement:

"When a little boy asserts himself, he's called a “leader.” Yet when a little girl does the same, she risks being branded “bossy.” Words like bossy send a message: don't raise your hand or speak up. By middle school, girls are less interested in leading than boys—a trend that continues into adulthood. Together we can encourage girls to lead."

This campaign is the brainchild of Facebook's COO Sheryl Sandberg ~ Sheryl Sandberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who is the author of book Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead: Sheryl Sandberg: 9780385349949: Amazon.com: Books and founder of Lean In

The Girl Scouts of America are already on board Let's Ban Bossy Together! Girl Scouts | Lean in

I was floored when I learned of this campaign to ban a word. If you are looking for empirical evidence I couldn't find any on BanBossy and tried to find some at LeanIn.org but all they had were some videos of communications experts. Yes, yes, we know that stereotypes are mental shortcuts that our brains use...

FTR I voted no.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I heard about this a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    There is currently an ongoing campaign to ban the word bossy from use in the U.S. Ban Bossy. Encourage Girls to Lead Here is their mission statement:

"When a little boy asserts himself, he's called a “leader.” Yet when a little girl does the same, she risks being branded “bossy.” Words like bossy send a message: don't raise your hand or speak up. By middle school, girls are less interested in leading than boys—a trend that continues into adulthood. Together we can encourage girls to lead."
    That is brain-wrinklingly* idiotic. I'm a guy and I got called bossy all the time a a kid. I also got called a variety of unrepeatable stuff, too.

*I think I just invented a new term. Perhaps that means I'm a leader.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Permabanned

I think it’s a great campaign, it should be banned. Personally, I think it would solve a lot of the world’s problems, so I’m all for it. Calling a girl bossy should be considered a hate crime and should be punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.

I vote yes.

On the cover of Fortune Magazine this month:

This CEO is out for blood
    In the fall of 2003, Elizabeth Holmes, a 19-year-old sophomore at Stanford, plopped herself down in the office of her chemical engineering professor, Channing Robertson, and said, “Let’s start a company.”

Full story here:
    This CEO’s out for blood - Fortune

Women don't need any help being leaders. They've been doing it for decades.
    To suggest women need protected from a word paints them as helpless little rabbits, and in the end would likely prove to be counterproductive.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

These social issues are becoming increasingly stupid. It's almost as if humanity is running out of things to complain about.

Let's ban the word "like", too, because I'm, like, tired of, like, seeing it after, like, every other word.

What other words should we ban?

• Let's ban the word "soda" and make everyone say "pop" because it sounds cooler and makes more sense.
    • Let's ban the word "awesome" because it's so goddamn overused.
    • Let's ban the word "drunk" because "drunque" is far more classy.

Silly feminazis, if you can't stand the heat, stay in the kitchen (haha)!!!

That's just treating a symptom, not the disease.

What bullshit.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Banning the word bossy won't stop the double standard smh.

Hey, when someone calls me bossy I'm like "hell yeah I am, now get a move on."
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It's pretty bossy of feminists to demand that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    I think it’s a great campaign, it should be banned. Personally, I think it would solve a lot of the world’s problems, so I’m all for it. Calling a girl bossy should be considered a hate crime and should be punishable by fines and/or imprisonment. I vote yes.
    Fines and imprisonment, posh -- what a slap on the wrist. Why stop there?

Dip them in honey and fling them across the bear pit via trebuchet.

... anyway, I understand the intent, to reduce words that are essentially used regularly to dismiss rather than bolster. (And "bossy" is typically a term just applied to females, not males.)

And sure, if someone wants to make a case for why the word isn't a great one to use and this makes people think twice when they use the word, then okay.

But that's about as far as it can go, and I don't think it's going to resolve underlying attitudes with the people who truly are problematic. And sometimes people can be bossy, or overbearing, or ruthless, or whatever.

If people would just think a little about the words they use but more importantly treat people regardless of gender according to their talents, gifts, and aspirations (i.e, help people become who they're capable of -- empower them), then things would improve.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft