User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should the word Bossy be banned?

24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 8.33%
  • No

22 91.67%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Should Bossy be banned?

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I love how this thread is mainly about how censorship is stupid and hardly at all about what the (dubious) suggestion is really all about: the idea that the same behavior is judged differently if it comes from a boy or a girl. There are empirical experiments that have shown that that's the case even with newborn baby's (people perceive and describe the same behavior differently if they are told the baby is a boy/girl).
    Iwakar described this well.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I shared this a few weeks ago on my Facebook page when I first heard about it and was curious what other people thought. The first critical observation was that the title is deliberately provocative. Ban is a strong word meant to provoke strong reactions.
    I'd say mission accomplished for Ban Bossy. When you purposely use words like "ban" in the context of a free society, irrespective of the word, the user "should" be checked and called on it, an immune response. All press is good press? *shrugs*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Oh, oh, my mother was bossy, and I fall heavily for any bossy woman. I know it is a weakness, and worse I am politically incorrect, but like Oedipus, I love my Mum. The only problem is they find bossing me around all the time to be tedious. I don't want to look after you, the last one said, as she kissed me goodbye.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on