User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should the word Bossy be banned?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 8.33%
  • No

22 91.67%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's almost like America is ignoring its bigger issues on purpose at this point.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Society

she's a fucking FON - a force of nature - have some respect.

(point: use 21st century neologism culture to build instead of 20th century censorship crap to destroy)

MBTI
    ENTP

tl;dr

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    It's almost like America is ignoring its bigger issues on purpose at this point.
    Almost.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I love how this thread is mainly about how censorship is stupid and hardly at all about what the (dubious) suggestion is really all about: the idea that the same behavior is judged differently if it comes from a boy or a girl. There are empirical experiments that have shown that that's the case even with newborn baby's (people perceive and describe the same behavior differently if they are told the baby is a boy/girl).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I love how this thread is mainly about how censorship is stupid and hardly at all about what the (dubious) suggestion is really all about: the idea that the same behavior is judged differently if it comes from a boy or a girl. There are empirical experiments that have shown that that's the case even with newborn baby's (people perceive and describe the same behavior differently if they are told the baby is a boy/girl).
    Yup, I did mention that when I said the term is mainly applied to females (I rarely ever hear a boy or man called "bossy," and if he is, it's usually a gay male -- interesting, isn't it?) In that sense, the term typically serves as a way to dismiss a female's assertion of self on a situation -- it delegitimizes her expression of leadership. That is the reason all of this discussion is even occurring -- a particular adjective is used to discourage female leadership.

But then the solution seems (1) not necessarily related to the problem, since it allows for the same attitudes to persist just under different language and (2) word-policing in a society that respects diversity is near impossible and can create other abuses.

there is also the realization that sometimes a person IS being bossy. Exhibit A:

So the term is accurate... but then again, we are in a position where the term is typically applied to bossy girls but not to bossy boys.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I shared this a few weeks ago on my Facebook page when I first heard about it and was curious what other people thought. The first critical observation was that the title is deliberately provocative. Ban is a strong word meant to provoke strong reactions. There is no actual "banning" taking place as far as I can tell. If there is and you know about it, please share the enforcement authority and context of said "ban."

Movements often hurt themselves when they oversimplify AND sensationalize ideas regarding identifiable social stigmas into catchy rhetoric and bumper stickers. It's particularly a shame in this case because I think parents and teachers raising boys and girls absolutely do "check" little girls as being bossy and elevate little boys as being leaders when they demonstrate the exact same traits.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I second @Jennifer and @iwakar.

OP and poll are misleading, because as others have said, this isn't actually a literal attempt to ban the word. It's an attempt to get people to stop using it to prevent girls from being assertive. I got that right away, but apparently it's not as evident to everyone.

As for evidence of the phenomenon, I can't provide that except that it happened almost for the entirety of my childhood. Could have been worse -- most of the time people erred on the side of "positive" condescending comments about my assertiveness, and not negative ones.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    The three men in the top pic should turn around and dump the jerk on his lazy ass.

In my experience boys are more likely to fit themselves into a hierarchy based on ability, age, size, intellegence or whatever and it's more common for a girl over a boy to want to disrupt that by shear force of personality and start telling everyone what to do regardless of the benefit/detriment of them doing so. I had a bossy mom so I didn't really appreciate it when I also had bossy playmates.

Maybe there's a better way to correct and hone this particular character flaw/strength, but I doubt banning bossy will help.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    In my experience boys are more likely to fit themselves into a hierarchy based on ability, age, size, intellegence or whatever and it's more common for a girl over a boy to want to disrupt that by shear force of personality and start telling everyone what to do regardless of the benefit/detriment of them doing so. I had a bossy mom so I didn't really appreciate it when I also had bossy playmates.

Maybe there's a better way to correct and hone this particular character flaw/strength, but I doubt banning bossy will help.
    Are you saying that it's only annoying when they're on the bottom of the hierarchy? Why are they more likely to be on the bottom of the hierarchy, in your view? Why was your MOM on the bottom of the hierarchy?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!