User Tag List

View Poll Results: In developed Western countries, is patriarchy still alive?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 52.38%
  • No

10 47.62%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default In developed Western countries, is patriarchy still alive?

I'm not going to define patriarchy, as I'm more interested in a gut response of sorts.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

A higher value on masculinity and higher privileges for those who possess it still pervades these countries. Masculinity and femininity can be disjointed from one's biological sex, of course, but one does automatically get a lot of masculinity or femininity points for being a male or female, respectively.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

It's hard to say. As a male, I think we have to endure a lot of hardships that women, in general, have no concept of; but surely the reverse is true, as well. I don't know the statistics of employment wages or how conclusions are drawn as to whom makes more money. Women have a higher enrollment and graduation rate at the undergraduate and graduate level. There are also a great deal of scholarships that are specifically designated for women, not including athletic and academic scholarships. Any search for financial aid will reveal a plethora of grants and scholarships with various parameters given to women and minorities. Few, in comparison, are designated specifically for males.

Of course, there are industries which are predominantly male or female. There seems to be more men in many leadership positions, so from that perspective I suppose a patriarchy still exists; but as Magic Poriferan mentioned, it generally only benefits a minority of men who exemplify culturally acceptable masculine traits. Statistically, shorter men also make less money than taller men. I think in the social hierarchy of success, be it professionally or romantically, women who embody masculine personality traits will be held in higher regard than men who exude what society deems as feminine traits. Is that more indicative of misogyny or misandry? I think it's both, really; as these traits aren't inherently exclusive to one sex over the other, but frequently get defined as such to the detriment of anyone who doesn't conform.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, it is alive; perhaps not thriving, but far from dead yet.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

We've had versions of this thread 100 times...

Stop complaining about men and go get laid.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Depends on the country.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    We've had versions of this thread 100 times...

Stop complaining about men and go get laid.
    Who is complaining about men? Patriarchy is much more complicated than that, especially in the modern world.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Who is complaining about men? Patriarchy is much more complicated than that, especially in the modern world.
    This.

Not everyone sees it, but just because it's not seen doesn't mean it isn't still there. If you have individuals that put preference for men over women, simply because they are men and the (not always correct) assumptions that go with it, then you have patriarchy issues. These individuals have always existed, exist now, and will always exist, so this will always be ever present. It's simply a question of how much, and how bad it is. It really depends on where you go now. Some places it's horrible, some places it's not there at all. This can be seen on country size scale, and even as small as two businesses on the same street.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    This.

Not everyone sees it, but just because it's not seen doesn't mean it isn't still there. If you have individuals that put preference for men over women, simply because they are men and the (not always correct) assumptions that go with it, then you have patriarchy issues. These individuals have always existed, exist now, and will always exist, so this will always be ever present. It's simply a question of how much, and how bad it is. It really depends on where you go now. Some places it's horrible, some places it's not there at all. This can be seen on country size scale, and even as small as two businesses on the same street.
    Part of my point is that women are as much to blame as men for the continued survival of patriarchy.

Patriarchy is about power.

And we know that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So to maximise freedom and equality we developed, over centuries, liberal democracy based on the limitation of power, from Habeus Corpus to the Separation of Powers of the Cabinet, the Legislature and the Judiciary.

Some countries have rejected liberal democracy such as the 57 Islamic States, while others like the USA have only partially realised liberal democracy.

But as Winston Churchill said, liberal democracy is the worst possible system except for all the others.