First 8910

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    There is a reason I used WWII as the benchmark. American Exceptionalism was an advent of the Cold War. Just like "In God We Trust" (1957) being added to our currency In God we trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and "one nation under god" (1954) being added to our pledge of allegiance Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It just goes to show you how people will suspend their principles (our founders vision for a separation of church & state) when they are in a state of fear (of the godless Soviets). Funny how history repeats itself... The Patriot Act, a different fear but same result, messing with our founding principles. This goes towards the point that I was making that American Exceptionalism is a shield that not only deflects criticism of American Foreign Policy (from a values perspective) from "others" but and allows "us" to suspend our principles/ethics/morals, we are shielding ourselves from self reflection upon our actions. It's seems very similar to an ego defense mechanism.

"Fear is the mind-killer."
    "Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration."

The first link I supplied is critical of the concept via a historical/philosophical context and I think it's the one you'd enjoy the most if you haven't read it already. American Exceptionalism...Exposed | Foreign Policy Research Institute Something to factor in for sure, imo whichever way you fall on the topic.

I listened to Obama talk about what the U.S. is going to do in response to this whole situation and find myself in agreement with him. I am concerned though about the 300 special forces "trainers" he sent though. Mission Creep Mission creep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My thoughts "overall": We gtfo and now we need to stfo (the s means stay), no boots on the ground at ALL.
    I read it and of course it's something to factor in. However, it doesn't lead me to gtfo:stfo. My thoughts are more along the lines of: The American government is a huge bungler and should avoid making matters worse. I believe I stated something like that above.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Unless you are willing to send one of your own children to fight and die in another country or you are willing to fight and die in another country, yourself, you should shut the fuck up about how you think this country needs to go to war. If anyone thought we shouldn't have brought the troops home from Iraq, they should have volunteered to take the place of the troops or shut the fuck up. I'm sick of people who have no skin in the game acting like they're tough guys when it comes to military issues (Tellenbach).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    It's a shame when people don't "give a fuck" about foreign politics and major redrawing of political boundaries - especially in the Middle East.
    I agree that it's a shame because it's likely that those people used up all their fucks caring about the numerous domestic problems in this country.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Something will happen somewhere sometime.

I'll believe it when I see it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Looks less silly when there are countries involved, but it is just as silly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Bye Iraq, we'll miss you. So many memories.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

Looks less silly when there are countries involved, but it is just as silly.
    What I don't understand is why the guy took his shirt off.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What I don't understand is why the guy took his shirt off.
    the same reason ender lubed himself up with soap in the shower