User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Because whoever is trusted with such control is, by virtue of being trusted with it, a political elite... unless you want to make them accessible to everybody, in which case the end is nigh.
    Ya bc govts have such a great track record rite????
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Whenever there is a mass shooting, it's covered by the national media for days, if not weeks. But whenever someone uses a gun for defense, the national media never takes notice.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...ccba40c38.html
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Default An Immoral Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Their main purpose is to discuss guns and gun-related issues/topics. However, if they create a response, in you, that is similar to the emotional response that one can have when they are trolled, then I would suggest that you no longer post in gun threads. Similar to how, when you are annoyed by a particular forum member to the point that it hurts your forum experience, it would be best to put them on ignore and not engage with them. That way you will have a more pleasant forum experience overall, with less stress.
    Imagine the topic was not guns but child rape. And you told me I could have a more pleasant experience with less stress by not posting.

If I followed your advice we would not be having a Royal Commission into Child Abuse as I write.

And the results of guns are even worse than child abuse, because so far we have found no child murdered but on a regular and predictable basis we find Americans are masscred by guns.

So to suggest I not post is an immoral suggestion.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I usually stay away from topics like these because I never want to touch a gun ever and I haven't really decided my stance on guns, but here's my $0.02.

I dunno. It's hard to say for me. Having a gun in my own house to keep myself and my family protected does sound nice, but at the same time if everyone had a gun in their home the perpetrators would just be that much more prepared for whatever they were planning on doing.

Also, this would mean that ANYONE would be able to access a gun. I'm already pretty paranoid myself, and the rate of mass shootings in America has been increasing iirc, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel if I knew every citizen I pass by owns a gun. I'm already pretty suspicious of people around me for no reason (damn 6 wing) so giving all of these people a gun just puts me off. Not that the whole country has to cater to my feelings or whatever. But I mean if the Newtown shooter took guns from his mom then I dunno...it could create a lot of chaos. It's easy to conceal a shotgun in, say, a car. It just seems like enabling a bunch of other people to cause damage. And if these are exclusive to homes then there's no hope for people that didn't bring concealed handguns with them. But concealed handguns seems even worse, enabling more rapists, robbers, etc.

It's a big conundrum.
    I'm not sure what the conundrum is. Please clarify. Are you considering gun ownership or the principle of "everyone" owning a gun?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Thanks a lot, now I've just wasted enjoyed like 10 minutes clicking on others like "Sexy hot Girl Firing Automatic Weapons - Summer takes aim"
    Fixed.

Sexy hot girls doing just about anything has the "tendency", to make just about any activity more enjoyable to watch, for me at least.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Back on Topic:

Here is an article that discusses Defensive Gun Use (DGU) from Bloomberg Businessweek http://www.businessweek.com/articles...n-self-defense

This is a "balanced" article on the subject because the writer compares two sides of the gun control spectrum and their statistics.

The NRA, their stats: 2,000,000 DGU's per year http://www.americanrifleman.org/Blog...x?cid=25&id=21

David Hemenway, an eminent public-health scholar at Harvard University. Hemenway, analogizes gun violence to an epidemic and guns to the contagion: 100,000 DGU's per year

@WhoCares Even the most conservative figure by a bleeding heart, gun control liberal says 100k DGU's per year. It appears that it's a more frequent event than most people think.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    *puts gun down*
    *slowly steps away*

Isn't there a bigger chance of me missing it and just incapacitating him?
    The amount of blood loss from direct impact to a major artery would be enough to kill someone if they couldn't stop the bleeding real quick. Unless the guy was desperate to kill you he would be more concerned about stopping the bleeding.

You've probably never busted an artery before, but arterial blood is pumped at high pressure so it absolutely gushes out when there is a tear due to the pressure gradient (that is why blood samples are taken from veins). Even if you just hit a major muscle in the leg, you would slow your would-be-assailant down enough to get another shot at him. I have never been shot before, but just getting cramps/tightness in my thighs has slowed me down temporarily. You can kind of imagine what having a bullet in there would be like...100x worse...

As for the actual shooting, I understand how you feel. I feel uncomfortable going hunting, unlike my brother and father. But basic primal instincts come in when you are threatened. When I was in fights at high school, all I thought about was defending myself, and there wasn't even much conscious thought involved.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    As for the actual shooting, I understand how you feel. I feel uncomfortable going hunting, unlike my brother and father. But basic primal instincts come in when you are threatened. When I was in fights at high school, all I thought about was defending myself, and there wasn't even much conscious thought involved.
    This ^

The science behind an amygdala hijack and the limbic system is fascinating to me. Here is a video of 2 ENTP's discussing an amygdala hijack in clinical AND MBTI terms (1 of them is a certified MBTI practitioner)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Death is equal rights.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Imagine the topic was not guns but child rape. And you told me I could have a more pleasant experience with less stress by not posting.

If I followed your advice we would not be having a Royal Commission into Child Abuse as I write.

And the results of guns are even worse than child abuse, because so far we have found no child murdered but on a regular and predictable basis we find Americans are masscred by guns.

So to suggest I not post is an immoral suggestion.
    But the topic isn't child rape. Different situations require different responses.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...