First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol
    When a traffic pile-up takes place (every day across my country), people do not become inflamed and form lobbying groups to enact changes to auto/traffic legislation. Why not?

When a mass-shooting takes place, that is the immediate reaction! Despite the fact that: the chances of being killed by a gun are 1 in 220,000 and the chance of being killed in an auto accident is 1 in 11,000.
    This kind of reminds me of how more people are afraid of spiders and snakes than mosquitoes, even though mosquitoes are more deadly. Guns "seem" more deadly to people, so people are going to be more afraid of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingForPeace
    As to guns, they are a wedge issues. Wedge issues are emotionally charged issues designed to divide people and hide more important society issues (such as the plutocracy) and never get resolved. Wedge issues greatly aid political parties by forcing people to a side.
    I think debates about abortion and guns are really played out, and I no longer wish to really participate in them. I don't really have a strong opinion on either one of them, to be honest, and the only way I can have a conversation about them with other people is to pretend to have a strong opinion. Maybe this is why I feel inclined to disengage from politics... the big hot-button issues of the day feel like smaller potatoes than the issues that got me interested in politics in the first place. Essentially this election is a vote between personalities... I don't see much in terms of a broad progressive vision, and that's why I think Trump will win in November. I don't think Dems are going to get people to show up to the polls and vote for them because they are scared of guns. The debate about gun control just feels so... not relevant to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None

Yes and you can always blow away anyone who doesn't agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You want us to take self defense advice from this guy?

He is your elected Head of State, your elected Commander in Chief, and your elected political leader. If you won't take advice from those you elect, who will you take advice from?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It should be obvious that this gunman was pathological. In the absence of headline-grabbing violent Muslim groups, he would have found some other justification, perhaps just "plain, old" homophobia.

Similarly, the Salem Witch hysteria had nothing to do with Christianity; that was just the pretext. It was all a property dispute.

Then there is the issue of mental illness, especially left untreated due to social stigma, accessibility of care, or cost of care.
    There is the issue of guns and the issue of mental illness, and there is the issue of ideology. And the ideology is Wahabism, the ideology of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States. And Wahabism is promoted across the world by Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, by funding mosques and staffing them with Wahabists. And even more important, Wahabism has a potent presence on the internet. And it appears the Islamic terrorist was converted to Wahabism on the internet and not by his parents nor his mosque.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    He is your elected Head of State, your elected Commander in Chief, and your elected political leader. If you won't take advice from those you elect, who will you take advice from?
    It took you 2 years and 2 days to respond to my post and this is the best you could do?

I'm disappointed.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It took you 2 years and 2 days to respond to my post and this is the best you could do?

I'm disappointed.
    Well, if you won't take advice from the elect, I don't like to think who you do take advice from. America was founded by the Puritan Elect and this Godly Elect was democratised into democratic elections and representative democracy.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

I is perhaps ironic then that Reagan was particularly masterful at using these wedge issues to divide his opponents.
    Lol, attacking Reagan again.....you are so predictable.

And wrong again..... you really missed my entire point (while using the selective quoting that you criticze others for).....

Reagan used emotional appeals, but not to divide, but to unite. He wasn't Lee Atwater or Karl Rove. Reagan struck at basic themes long existing. He loved America and used emotional appeals to patriotism. He used emotional appeals to fairness when he mentioned welfare cheats. He used emotional appeals to liberty in his anti-communism.

But the cheap divisive tactics are intended to force everyone into one of the two parties, to ignore the needs of everyday people. They are designed to obfuscate how much those outside the 1% have been screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, if you won't take advice from the elect, I don't like to think who you do take advice from. America was founded by the Puritan Elect and this Godly Elect was democratised into democratic elections and representative democracy.
    Bruh, the puritans democratized, constitutionalized, and republicanized America.
    Not the other way around.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

@Osprey

This kind of reminds me of how more people are afraid of spiders and snakes than mosquitoes, even though mosquitoes are more deadly. Guns "seem" more deadly to people, so people are going to be more afraid of that.
    Exacccctly! Love that analogy.

@Coriolis

Then there is the issue of mental illness, especially left untreated due to social stigma, accessibility of care, or cost of care.
    Truth. Most criminals are mentally ill to some extent and the resources funnelled to the ongoing gun debate could be put towards treatment and education if the situation was viewed more realistically, in line with firearm facts!

I volunteer at a prison for the criminally insane and it is always scraping for funding. Meanwhile, it houses people who will return to the communities sooner than other prisoner's and who have chronic mental conditions. But, most people want to turn the lock on such ones and not have to think about them...out of sight out of mind.

Don't drink the Kool-aid people!
    "May you live all the days of your life"