User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    YOUR premise. Not MINE. When you said biology > culture > ...etc...
    That's not a fact, it's an opinion. Therefore you can't take it for granted and build an hypothesis from there.
    I just did

"that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society." ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture

The very definitiion of culture is that laws and ideologies are subsets of culture.

Culture | Definition of Culture by Merriam-Webster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology

Let me test my 'hypothesis':

Canada should pass a law or modify their constitution to allow for the right to bear arms.

Australia should institute Sharia Law ASAP.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    You're falling into that typical, scripted argument libs fall back on. (Conservatives are guilty of it too, when they blame gun violence on poor mental health services, just so you know I'm not only singling out liberals here.)

Bigger picture, I think MANY factors give rise to gun massacres in the USA. Gun manufacturers may contribute to it, but I don't think they cause or give rise to it. That would be like saying trees, rather than dry conditions and high temperatures give rise to forest fires. Guns, like the trees, may provide fuel for the fire, but are they really the cause of the fire? Removing that fuel might help, but will we really be addressing the roots of the problem? Deforestation leads to other problems. The dryness and heat likely remain. Oh shit, here come dust storms and/or landslides and/or manmade deserts.

I think the conditions that give rise to gun massacres, to name a few, are overpopulation, continual economic disenfranchisement of a large number of citizens, and a society that isn't really interested in hearing about or discussing young men's (I'm mentioning them because the majority of gun massacres are committed by young men) concerns and issues if it doesn't involve trying to mold men to fit some traditional or feminized ideal of how men should be.

Republicans are offbase when they use the scapegoat of poor mental health services as are Democrats when they use the scapegoat of a lack of gun regulations. There is some truth in both sides' arguments, but they fail to get to the heart of the matter because no one can or is willing to see the interconnectedness of society's ills.
    It is obvious to the rest of the world that guns are the problem in the USA.

And it is obvious Americans will do or say anything but face this salient fact.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Australia should institute Sharia Law ASAP.
    To institute Sharia in Australia would mean changing the Australian Constitution. This is technically possible but highly unlikely in reality.

And the Islamists hate us because our Constitutions mandate the separation of religion and the State.

And unlike our Constitutions, Islam does not recognise the separation of Mosque and State.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    You're falling into that typical, scripted argument libs fall back on. (Conservatives are guilty of it too, when they blame gun violence on poor mental health services, just so you know I'm not only singling out liberals here.)

Bigger picture, I think MANY factors give rise to gun massacres in the USA. Gun manufacturers may contribute to it, but I don't think they cause or give rise to it. That would be like saying trees, rather than dry conditions and high temperatures give rise to forest fires. Guns, like the trees, may provide fuel for the fire, but are they really the cause of the fire? Removing that fuel might help, but will we really be addressing the roots of the problem? Deforestation leads to other problems. The dryness and heat likely remain. Oh shit, here come dust storms and/or landslides and/or manmade deserts.

I think the conditions that give rise to gun massacres, to name a few, are overpopulation, continual economic disenfranchisement of a large number of citizens, and a society that isn't really interested in hearing about or discussing young men's (I'm mentioning them because the majority of gun massacres are committed by young men) concerns and issues if it doesn't involve trying to mold men to fit some traditional or feminized ideal of how men should be.

Republicans are offbase when they use the scapegoat of poor mental health services as are Democrats when they use the scapegoat of a lack of gun regulations. There is some truth in both sides' arguments, but they fail to get to the heart of the matter because no one can or is willing to see the interconnectedness of society's ills.
    One thing that is religiously avoided is that guns are phallic symbols par excellence. So when we talk of the success of gun control, this is heard by American men as the success of castration.

So I think we can say that American men are insecure in their masculinity and need to be surrounded by phallic symbols to bolster their manhood.

From a psychological point of view this is very interesting - why do American men fear castration?

It is plain we are not talking about literal castration, but a castration of the psyche.

Like Oedipus, American men, symbolically killed their Father, the King, in 1776 and fear they will be punished by castration.

And like Oedipus, American men symbolically put out their own eyes so they can't see that guns and the fear of castration are the problem.

There is no Right to Bear Arms in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And we would never agree to such a Declaration.

The 57 Islamic States of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) have publicly and openly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, just as the American Right to Bear Arms is a slap in face to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

They make strange bedfellows.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Curious, not being a troll here (at the moment)... What are Americans so afraid of that they need to be armed all the time? Not even just handguns, but semi-automatic or automatic rifles?

I wonder if they're afraid of all the other people with guns...
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski
    Likes Qre:us, 93JC liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Curious, not being a troll here (at the moment)... What are Americans so afraid of that they need to be armed all the time? Not even just handguns, but semi-automatic or automatic rifles?

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Gamine liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post

The government.

But, really, this isn't how it works.
    You don't need a reason to keep a right.
    You need a reason to restrict a right.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

And getting hit in the feels every time there is a mass shooting is not a reason.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Where is the thread on harm sensitivity again?

I'm becoming interested in the idea of wider trends, much, much wider ones, I'm beginning to think of the trials and travils of partisan politics as at the very, very most like football players (though to be honest more like the half time show) and what really matters is the stadium they are playing on which is being undermined without anyone comprehending it.

Harm sensitivity and the phenomenon of spent resilience are two factors, there's others, all in all its amounting to a slow motion destabilisation of the western (read english speaking but I'm also thinking pan-European) world.

I think attempts to sow divisions and alliance breaking are part of it, the rise of new nationalisms and referendum on ending membership of the EU in the UK is one example of it, that's as old as Sun Tzu tactically, I dont know if the chinese are behind it or the Russians or if they are actually just a lot of fool pawns too but I have started to look at any of these single issues through that prism.