User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Being able to separate oneself from their anti -ism (anti-Americanism in your case Mr. Mole) requires disassociating themselves from their fears. This requires some effort and often the self identity/ego gets in the way. As the venerable Mark Twain once said, "Courage is resistance to and mastery of fear - not the absence of fear." It's what you do with these fears that we ALL have that matters.

What does this have to do with the thread topic?

Paragraph 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Preamble:

"Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people." The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

It is this fearless state then that I'd like to see spread. Individual arms possession provides a freedom from fear. Gun ownership “often confers a sense of security” upon people who possess them. (page 9) http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/vie...26&context=flr This is one reason why: Guns ARE equal rights. ("should" be anyways)

Maybe I'm wrong though, not like I haven't been wrong before and I am quite willing to change my mind. Please present a rational argument though, preferably with evidence (yeah I'm talking to you @Mole). Thanks!
    Liberal democracy is based on the limitation of power.

The limitation of power maximizes freedom and minimizes fear.

A gun maximizes the power one person has over another, and so is antithethical to liberal democracy and universal freedom.

We have achieved freedom from guns. You plainly have a long way to go. Your biggest problem is that guns and paranoia are imprinted on your psyche.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Liberal democracy is based on the limitation of power.

The limitation of power maximizes freedom and minimizes fear.

A gun maximizes the power one person has over another, and so is antithethical to liberal democracy and universal freedom.

We have achieved freedom from guns. You plainly have a long way to go. Your biggest problem is that guns and paranoia are imprinted on your psyche.
    Security quickly becomes authoritarian without the necessary restraint of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Other nations hardly need our help to engage in civil war. They do that quite well on their own. Lest one think civil war is the only evil that can befall a nation, we should remember there are also repressive authoritarian regimes; the human toll on indigenous peoples of colonization; and the pervasive problem of domestic violence.

The focus should be on violence, whatever means are used to commit it.
    Desiderius Erasmus, a popular and famous Dutch philosopher of the 16th Century told us, The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most just war.

And the worst war is a Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Security quickly becomes authoritarian without the necessary restraint of liberty.
    This is fine. And we have found the political way to maximise freedom and equality, and that is by the limitation of power. This is called liberal democracy and it works.

The American psyche still hankers to maximise power and this is acted out by holding a gun in your hand.

The American psyche has a deep authoritarian thread.

You speak of liberty but don't know how to get it.

But just as the Greeks civilized the Romans, we seek to civilize the Americans.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is fine. And we have found the political way to maximise freedom and equality, and that is by the limitation of power. This is called liberal democracy and it works.

The American psyche still hankers to maximise power and this is acted out by holding a gun in your hand.

The American psyche has a deep authoritarian thread.

You speak of liberty but don't know how to get it.

But just as the Greeks civilized the Romans, we seek to civilize the Americans.
    The Australian psyche fears what it doesn't understand.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Desiderius Erasmus, a popular and famous Dutch philosopher of the 16th Century told us, The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most just war.

And the worst war is a Civil War.
    I see. Do you agree with this? Should we have let Hitler spread the Third Reich across Europe and beyond, in the interests of maintaining the peace? Peace means more than the absence of war.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Speaking of civil war. If you want one. Come to take our guns away.

It's amazing how much of this thread is

This message is hidden because <name> is on your ignore list.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

You plainly have a long way to go. Your biggest problem is that guns and paranoia are imprinted on your psyche.
    Do you have any evidence of this paranoia?

I put on my seat belt when I drive my car. I don't keep large sums of cash on me. I look both ways before I cross a street. I also don't eat yellow snow. Gun ownership gives me an option in case a criminal comes into my house. What you are calling paranoia is simply me exercising "precaution". The irony is that you're calling my/our gun ownership paranoia, "can" itself be a form of paranoia, moral terror if you will. OMG all these people with guns, I can't trust them, only the government should have guns.

We have achieved freedom from guns.
    Here is the cost Australia is paying:

"In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% (hardly significant) in homicides and a one-third decrease (doing good!) in armed robbery since the 1990s, but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults. Australian Institute of Criminology - Australian crime : facts and figures 2008"

Australian Institute of Criminology - Australian crime : facts and figures 2008

I think that regardless of the outcome of Australia's gun laws, we are obviously two very different countries geographically (85% of Australian's live within 50 KM of the coast and are highly urbanised 1301.0 - Year Book Australia, 2004), historically (yeah I'm sure you'd love for Americans to forget our very REAL past), culturally (which factors in the above), and politically.

Ya'll are a buncha city slickers, no wonder you're anti gun :P
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

In short, you speak a bastard English that know not its parents.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz