User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The comparison is misleading. Despite their occasional misuse, guns have many legitimate and worthwhile uses. Child rape has none.

Baseless comparisons show up in one's offense when one does not have a sound and supportable argument.
    I've studied the comparative history of the Continents: Australia, North and South America. And the comparing of histories gives insight obtainable in no other fashion.

The same with child abuse and gun culture. But as you many notice, they are both united by a common psychology.

And as our site is devoted to psychology, I though it would be of some interest to members and guests.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would like to see you banned for similar reasons.

However, neither of us will or should get what we want, because our only argument is bruised personal sensibilities.
    He's a great example of Flanderization. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Flanderization
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    C'mon, for 100 years we have fought beside Americans in every major conflict. We have three treaties with you: a military treaty, an economic treaty, and a land treaty - all in good repair.

As I write, our Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, is visiting your President, Barack Obama, and they have declared they are best mates.

And they are such good friends President Barack Obama praised Australia for our successful gun laws and would like America to follow suit.
    We are in a fortunate position in that we were able to take the best from Britain and the best from the USA to form the Australian Constitution.

And fortunately we were free to reject the worst from Britain such as the Class Structure, and we were free to reject the worst from the USA such as money politics, religion and guns.

And so create Australia Felix.
    I don't think you quite understand. It is not a matter of evidence and changing your mind, it is a matter of values and changing your heart.
    Living in a culture of extreme individuality Americans naturally make the mistake of thinking that guns are a matter of personal choice.

But the fact is that gun culture is a social issue and cannot be solved on the individual level but only on the social level. So gun culture can only be resolved by a broad democratic social movement. The great American, Meryl Streep, is starting such a democratic movement.

So in discussing guns Americans make a category mistake: they put guns in the personal category when they are in the social category.
    Imagine the topic was not guns but child rape. And you told me I could have a more pleasant experience with less stress by not posting.

If I followed your advice we would not be having a Royal Commission into Child Abuse as I write.

And the results of guns are even worse than child abuse, because so far we have found no child murdered but on a regular and predictable basis we find Americans are masscred by guns.

So to suggest I not post is an immoral suggestion.

Getting offended by gun discussion = Getting offended by "child rape" discussion
    Great point!

Ok, I've read your arguments (here and elsewhere), analyzed the meaning, and you make a lot of good points. You've really made me think, and provided solutions that are easy for the American government to implement.

Your point of view on gun control is very sound, logical, and good.

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Whenever there is a mass shooting, it's covered by the national media for days, if not weeks. But whenever someone uses a gun for defense, the national media never takes notice.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...ccba40c38.html
    Murder suspect shot by neighbor responding to cries for help
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...g-apart/ngJLx/

Armed Samaritan prevents Stroud Mall robbery set up on Craigslist
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...110336/-1/NEWS

The video shows the alleged robber drawing what looks to be a gun and yelling at the store’s clerk, who then pulls out a gun of his own and fires one shot at the man.
    http://wkbn.com/2014/05/21/clerk-pul...lleged-robber/

She said her husband was inside the store when the attempted robbery happened. A man put a gun in her husband’s face, demanded his cellphone and any money in the store, and threatened to kill him if he did not comply.

Then, the woman said, her husband turned around, pretending to get money, but instead pulled out a gun and shot one of the suspects.
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U57T441dUSe

22 year old young man protecting 3 younger siblings, gun fight, victim received numerous gunshot wounds to upper body, stayed in the fight, and managed to put down 1 perp and wound another.
    http://abc30.com/news/three-shot-one...hooting/79635/

A military veteran with a concealed handgun license came to the rescue and exchanged gunfire with two alleged robbers Thursday in northeast Harris County, killing one of them.
    http://news92fm.com/442038/us-marine...harris-county/

Police said that shortly after 6 a.m., a man knocked on the front door of a Coalville resident. The man cut the homeowner in the neck with a knife.

The homeowner then used a handgun to fire three shots into the man's torso. The suspect managed to drive five miles away from the scene on Old Mill Road, just south of Fort Dodge, where police ultimately found him.
    http://www.kcci.com/news/two-men-ser...6280058#!T4z60

“I looked at him and I see his hands and see he has a 9-mm pointed at my face,” Bishop recalled.
    “He kept saying ‘That's all the fuck you got? I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna shoot you,’” the retired patrolman recalled.
    “I said 'Listen this is everything.' So I started taking everything out of my pocket and throwing it on the ground, hoping he would look down at the ground because I was trying to get some type of advantage and it just didn't look good.”

“I didn't want to get shot in the face,” he said. “I didn't want to get shot.”

"It's not a good feeling to shoot anybody,” Bishop said Tuesday afternoon, tears streaming down his face. “It was just something that happened. I didn’t want to die. I wanted to be able to see my kids and my wife.”

^^^^
    Case in point, an 18 year old gun wielding car jacker was shot dead by a retired NYPD officer as he sat in his Mercedes in Brooklyn.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...cle-1.1806542#

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Thanks a lot, now I've just enjoyed wasted like 10 minutes clicking on others like "Sexy hot Girl Firing Automatic Weapons - Summer takes aim"

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Fixed.

Sexy hot girls doing just about anything has the "tendency", to make just about any activity more enjoyable to watch, for me at least.
    Thanks! I've heard of this tendency. I just ordered Girls Gone Wild: Hot Babes Tying Their Shoelaces

Oh, and continuing the discussion, even hot chicks can equalize the playing field with guns 'n shit:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I guess the bottom line is that there is no particularly safe way to shoot somebody.
    lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I think most people who are pro-gun also imagine that their perceived threats are always going to give them time to access and use their weapon by coming at them from a visible angle and a distance. Yet if you spend time with police, you will find that attacks mostly do not happen that way. Bad guys aren't going to give you the opportunity to reach for a gun, aim it and fire. They are bad guys because they stack the odds in their favour by not fighting fair. And if you are carrying a gun you've now just armed your attacker if they weren't already armed.
    I hear tell, one recurring nightmare of a cop is losing their primary weapon.

Ask a cop how often officers get their sidearm taken from them by some super sneaky criminal. You will probably get laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    The question isn't if there are guns or aren't guns people are going to always find a way to murder people with or without guns, there are always explosives, construction tools, hand-made guns etc. People will murder one another regardless if there are guns so my question to you are you paranoid about guns or other human beings? Is the problem with guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's guns.

But I can obviously tell what agenda you're coming from and just trying to advance it so goodbye.
    "The same day as the tragic Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting, a Chinese man stabbed 22 children in China's central province of Henan. "
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...ittle-coverage

Sorry about the drive-by shooting of posts (hahahahahaha, hey that's not funny), just catching up.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

I hear tell, one recurring nightmare of a cop is losing their primary weapon.

Ask a cop how often officers get their sidearm taken from them by some super sneaky criminal. You will probably get laughs.
    Is the average gun toting citizen a cop? Did they also have the same level of training in their weapon, some.....probably, all or majority? I doubt it. Does the average citizen carrry their weapon in a freely accessible holster on their hip? I dont know the answer to these questions but I suspect a lot if people aren't walking around armed with weapon and training the same as a cop.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Is the average gun toting citizen a cop? Did they also have the same level of training in their weapon, some.....probably, all or majority? I doubt it. Does the average citizen carrry their weapon in a freely accessible holster on their hip? I dont know the answer to these questions but I suspect a lot if people aren't walking around armed with weapon and training the same as a cop.
    Yet if you spend time with police, you will find that attacks mostly do not happen that way. Bad guys aren't going to give you the opportunity to reach for a gun, aim it and fire.
    ^^This quote struck me as odd. Do you spend time with police? I've seen countless videos of people calmly and quietly pull out their concealed gun and either fire on a robber wielding a gun in an innocent's face, or threatening to use it.

Plus about a dozen stories from close friends. Several involving a burglar breaking a window and entering their house, only to find one of my friends holding a gun at their face, and a cell phone to their ear with 911 on the line.

Most guys I know that carry concealed at the very least spend a TON of time at the shooting range and people I know that carry a lot, go to training camps, or NRA classes, of which there are way too many to count.

Here's a few, just for poise.

Thunder Ranch
    http://www.thunderranchinc.com/director.html

RangeMaster Tactical Training
    http://www.rangemaster.com/

Nighthawk Custom Training Academy
    http://nighthawkcustomtraining.com/m...terton-ar.html

The Range at Barren Creek
    http://www.therangeatbarrencreek.com/

The last 2 are just a couple of DOZENS in my home state.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Does the average citizen carrry their weapon in a freely accessible holster on their hip?
    It depends. Some people (especially in more rural areas) do open carry. Many do concealed.

Patrol cops typically have double, triple, or quadruple retention holsters. You can undo the strap and pull up so hard you lift the cop off the ground, but the gun won't come out.

I dont know the answer to these questions but I suspect a lot if people aren't walking around armed with weapon and training the same as a cop.
    Cops (on average) do not have a stellar track record when it comes to handling guns. Their fire discipline can be alarmingly poor. Just ask the mother and daughter who were delivering the Los Angeles Times when they received a huge barrage of gunfire from cops who mistook them for Christopher Dorner.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz