Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    How far down that chain is human?
    It's not on the chain.

Its the lowest common denominator.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Think we're dumb all you want, being underestimated never held me back.
    I don't think anyone underestimates you.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's not on the chain.

Its the lowest common denominator.
    Haha I have to give you that one.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You would blind someone for being able to recognize that people are different and categorize them accordingly (this comes naturally to xxTJs, especially). How tolerant of you.

Left wingers are the ones who really hate diversity.

My point was, to a blind man, there are no "black people" or "white people".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have seen enough of the world to recognise that a lot of "whaat folk" don't look at all like me and have very different cultural practices, so I find it strange that Americans consider everyone to be the same when they are quite clearly not. Is it just a lack of awareness or more than that, due to the melting pot effect changing their perception?
    America from the very beginning has been a culture founded on an idea rather than a geographical location or set of traditions. Until the 1950s, it wasn't a demographic concept, it was a political one. That's why identity is (or is supposed to be according to the American theory) determined by non-ancestral factors, and renders your ancestry a moot point.

In the words of Jean de Crevecoeur:

What attachment can a poor European emigrant have for a country where he had nothing? The knowledge of the language, the love of a few kindred as poor as himself, were the only cords that tied him: his country is now that which gives him land, bread, protection, and consequence: Ubi panis ibi patria, is the motto of all emigrants. What then is the American, this new man? He is either an European, or the descendant of an European, hence that strange mixture of blood, which you will find in no other country. I could point out to you a family whose grandfather was an Englishman, whose wife was Dutch, whose son married a French woman, and whose present four sons have now four wives of different nations. He is an American, who leaving behind him all his ancient prejudices and manners, receives new ones from the new mode of life he has embraced, the new government he obeys, and the new rank he holds He becomes an American by being received in the broad lap of our great Alma Mater. Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world. Americans are the western pilgrims, who are carrying along with them that great mass of arts, sciences, vigour, and industry which began long since in the east; they will finish the great circle. The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared, and which will hereafter become distinct by the power of the different climates they inhabit. The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born. Here the rewards of his industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labour; his labour is founded on the basis of nature, self-interest; can it want a stronger allurement? Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields whence exuberant crops are to arise to feed and to clothe them all; without any part being claimed, either by a despotic prince, a rich abbot, or a mighty lord. I lord religion demands but little of him; a small a small voluntary salary to the minister, and gratitude to God; can he refuse these? The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and form new opinions. From involuntary idleness, servile dependence, penury, and useless labour, he has passed to toils of a very different nature, rewarded by ample subsistence.–This is an American.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    American is real big. Each state has a unique culture. Though the south, the bible belt, is all similar.
    Uh... no, it's not.

South Carolina and Southeastern Georgia are aristocratic, North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, and Northern Georgia are agrarians who are descended from mountain-dwelling families (hillbillies), western Tennessee is much more urban and has serious gang problems (gangster rap was started in Memphis), Louisiana is its own culture entirely...

Just in Tennessee I can define three completely different cultural strata, with musical innovations to prove the point -- Appalachian in the east spawning bluegrass music and traditional country, rock and roll coming coming from middle Tennessee (Nashville), along with a more modernized, pop country, and rap and blues coming from the west.

The South is a cultural powerhouse of the country. We've got lots of variations of very strong cultures lol

But yes, there's a degree of cultural identity crisis since the mass media of the region became the national standard (Turner Broadcasting creating CNN and making the 24 hour news cycle the standard of the industry). We're right on the edge of a new artistic renaissance though.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    America from the very beginning has been a culture founded on an idea rather than a geographical location or set of traditions. Until the 1950s, it wasn't a demographic concept, it was a political one. That's why identity is (or is supposed to be according to the American theory) determined by non-ancestral factors, and renders your ancestry a moot point.
    This is a really interesting explanation, so thanks for posting it. Actually, I sense elements of this attitude in NZ as well - a very idealistic approach towards immigration. My ancestors didn't arrive in poverty, and my grandparents still have connections with extended family in Europe - they're visiting them atm actually - so these perspectives can be hard for me to relate to. But yeah, I do forget that not everyone can trace their family history back a long way (though being an INTJ I am a bit skeptical).

Identity has indeed become a lot more important recently, but in a very superficial, politicised way.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

really? what is american? an how are non americans not participating in what it is to be american?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

When you are out of the bathroom, you are American. What are you when you are in the bathroom?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

im all about give an take. reciprocity an balance. is that not american?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    It's important to be culturally aware of other white people because if you try to serve them non-fish in Louisiana on a Friday, the Catholics won't have enough protein and they will get Kwashiorkor and die one hour after lunch.

If you serve gumbo to Louisianian on the New Orleans side of the Pontchartrain, you have to have potato salad because they put that in their gumbo. You just need to know that in advance because you won't understand them when they tell you (horrible accents). This will frustrate them. And they'll throw Mardi Gras beads at you (quite good at that) and you will die.

But don't put potato salad in gumbo on the other side of the Pontchartrain, because they'll be like "WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? What did you DO?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" Then they will die.

That's why white people need to be culturally aware of other white people.
    Your posts are consistently top-shelf.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

@theDarkSide first place for mr. snarky pants. i like
    -Bruce Lee