User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Default Deracination and Exceptionalism

The USA deracinated in 1776 and the only way left to form an American identity is through ideology.

Ideology is a second rate form of identity so as a reaction formation the USA created the ideology of American Exceptionalism.

American Exceptionalism is a denial of their own deracination.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Hey, the people living 40 miles from me do NOT have the same culture. Do not confuse us. We eat slightly different foods & have slightly different accents. Get it straight, you ignoramuses!

------

My exact race is up in the air, depending on how you define such things. If you consider Spaniards & Italians white, then I'm white. If not (was it DiscoBiscuit who said we're "swirls"? That was a new one to me ), then I'm "off white" I guess. Hispanic people in California do not consider me Hispanic at all & certainly not my red-haired Spanish mother or blond sister. Most white people DO consider me white given that I'm fairer & taller than most Hispanics here, who are predominantly Mexican & usually a mix of native peoples & Spanish. But a larger amount just kind of wonder or assume I'm a mix. If I am tanned or dye my hair darker, the ambiguity increases & the topic inevitably comes up with new people.

I loathe the term "Hispanic" for many reasons, and I normally avoid using it. I never was given that ethnic identity from my Spanish speaking family members, who consider themselves white & of European heritage, but also Latin & "Mediterranean". So I tend to think of myself in terms of specifics - I'm a mix of German, Spanish & some Italian, among other things. I amusedly call myself a mutt too. If push comes to shove, then I'd say I identify with "white", especially culturally. I definitely don't identify as, uh, "non white". It really IS simpler for me to be specific, which I choose to be if I can be. If traveling, of course I'd just identify as American & Californian, as most people inquiring want to know where you are from, not what your ethnic background is. My identity is not strongly linked to any of this either.... INFP is probably a better label than any of those :P.

The OP is funny because some time ago people were criticizing white Americans FOR knowing & identifying with their ethnic heritage. They scoffed if an American would say "I'm Italian" as if they were claiming they were the same as someone whose nationality was Italian. People tried to explain that an American is unlikely to say this in a context of identifying anything other than their ethnic background, and the reason it's done is because of the mix of ethnicities here, how that affects pockets of sub-cultures, and especially how someone's physical appearance is influenced by their heritage. So from their perspective, Americans have a habit of specifically noting their ethnic background & not just identifying with their color & nationality.

Appearance is interesting because it can be soooo deceiving. There was this app I came across called "Who Am I?" (or something like that) where you guess the race of someone based on a photo, & it was pretty interesting because people often were not what they appeared to be, not according to common ideas anyhow. The clear lines don't really exist, and even a spectrum is not quite there, as within an ethnicity there can be a lot of variety.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    My exact race is up in the air, depending on how you define such things. If you consider Spaniards & Italians white, then I'm white. If not (was it DiscoBiscuit who said we're "swirls"? That was a new one to me ), then I'm "off white" I guess.
    Some americans have a weird concept of southern Europe. Current italian football team (ok the black guy is an exception):

ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Some americans have a weird concept of southern Europe. Current italian football team (ok the black guy is an exception):
    Oh I know.... it's weird. I consider Italians (and Spaniards) white & so does my family, but the term "white" doesn't seem to have any clear definition here. It changes a lot over time too. Supposedly, in the US in the distant past, Irish and Germans weren't considered white either .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm Southern first. Then American. Then Floridian. Then White.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm Southern first. Then American. Then Floridian. Then White.
    How far down that chain is human?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The OP is funny because some time ago people were criticizing white Americans FOR knowing & identifying with their ethnic heritage.
    Maybe this partly answers the OP's question. Hyphenated American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

You guys, there's a very diverse mix of cultures in the United States, even within the south.

Redneck from South Carolina:

Redneck from the Dirty South Mississippi:

And Redneck from the Dirty Dirty South, Alabama:

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

A different kind of southern.

Deb ball

SEC tailgate

Charleston garden party

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Think we're dumb all you want, being underestimated never held me back.