User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 77

  1. #31
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Yes - do they have more in common with each other than with states outside that region - should be the criteria. Otherwise, we drift further and further into minutia, and, I mean, we could, because it's true that even in a relatively small state like Virginia there are several distinct cultures (as has been pointed out).

  2. #32
    Problem? Grand Admiral Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    It's important to be culturally aware of other white people because if you try to serve them non-fish in Louisiana on a Friday, the Catholics won't have enough protein and they will get Kwashiorkor and die one hour after lunch.

    If you serve gumbo to Louisianian on the New Orleans side of the Pontchartrain, you have to have potato salad because they put that in their gumbo. You just need to know that in advance because you won't understand them when they tell you (horrible accents). This will frustrate them. And they'll throw Mardi Gras beads at you (quite good at that) and you will die.

    But don't put potato salad in gumbo on the other side of the Pontchartrain, because they'll be like "WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? What did you DO?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" Then they will die.

    That's why white people need to be culturally aware of other white people.

  3. #33
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I would think the same type of distinctions are present in all our Southern States.
    Indeed, cultural differences between the Appalachians and their foothills, metro Atlanta, and the low-country are very apparent to Georgia natives.

    Southerners, in general, share a common identity, with many different cultural variations blending into each other, not a homogenous culture (and certainly not more homogenous than other areas of the country with distinct voting patterns, such as New England, the Megalopolis of the Eastern Seaboard, or the West Coast).

  4. #34
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    yes, americans largely divide by race.

  5. #35
    Problem? Grand Admiral Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    yes, americans largely divide by race.
    I interpreted his questions as, "why do white Americans identify as white rather than something more nuanced?", because of his description of how he identified himself which linked with his specific cultural roots. I could've interpreted it wrong though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I just think of myself as (West) Germanic (a ethnocultural group)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Americans are much more divorced from their roots than people in other colonial countries due to mixed ancestry and the lack of a founding culture directly based on a European nation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    a lot of "whaat folk" don't look at all like me and have very different cultural practices, so I find it strange that Americans consider everyone to be the same when they are quite clearly not. Is it just a lack of awareness or more than that, due to the melting pot effect changing their perception?

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    I interpreted his questions as, "why do white Americans identify as white rather than something more nuanced?", because of his description of how he identified himself which linked with his specific cultural roots. I could've interpreted it wrong though.
    my intention was just to affirm the existence of the phenomenon
    ...
    we should blind people who see race...see if they can't hear it..

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    The USA way of defining identity in comparison to the Australian way of defining identity is clear.

    The USA defines their identity by ideology while Australia defines our identity through history.

  8. #38
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    It's important to be culturally aware of other white people because if you try to serve them non-fish in Louisiana on a Friday, the Catholics won't have enough protein and they will get Kwashiorkor and die one hour after lunch.

    If you serve gumbo to Louisianian on the New Orleans side of the Pontchartrain, you have to have potato salad because they put that in their gumbo. You just need to know that in advance because you won't understand them when they tell you (horrible accents). This will frustrate them. And they'll throw Mardi Gras beads at you (quite good at that) and you will die.

    But don't put potato salad in gumbo on the other side of the Pontchartrain, because they'll be like "WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? What did you DO?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" Then they will die.

    That's why white people need to be culturally aware of other white people, lest someone die.
    Fixed. This makes sense to me, with a comic, but possibly true, flare.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    my intention was just to affirm the existence of the phenomenon
    ...
    we should blind people who see race...see if they can't hear it..
    You would blind someone for being able to recognize that people are different and categorize them accordingly (this comes naturally to xxTJs, especially). How tolerant of you.

    Left wingers are the ones who really hate diversity.

  10. #40
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    My observation is that Americans base their identity on race (and to an extent, ideology) - whereas in most of the world, however, people base their identity on ethnicity, which is a lot more specific.

    My question was why this is.

Similar Threads

  1. Americanized ways of treating mental illnesses are actually spreading them
    By Olm the Water King in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 06:38 PM
  2. The American Delusion Of Personal Interpretation
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
  3. The Secret Life of the American Teenager
    By InfiniteIntrigue in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 04:32 AM
  4. What is the American frame of mind?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
  5. Closing of the American Mind - a review
    By Sniffles in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO