User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes - do they have more in common with each other than with states outside that region - should be the criteria. Otherwise, we drift further and further into minutia, and, I mean, we could, because it's true that even in a relatively small state like Virginia there are several distinct cultures (as has been pointed out).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

It's important to be culturally aware of other white people because if you try to serve them non-fish in Louisiana on a Friday, the Catholics won't have enough protein and they will get Kwashiorkor and die one hour after lunch.

If you serve gumbo to Louisianian on the New Orleans side of the Pontchartrain, you have to have potato salad because they put that in their gumbo. You just need to know that in advance because you won't understand them when they tell you (horrible accents). This will frustrate them. And they'll throw Mardi Gras beads at you (quite good at that) and you will die.

But don't put potato salad in gumbo on the other side of the Pontchartrain, because they'll be like "WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? What did you DO?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" Then they will die.

That's why white people need to be culturally aware of other white people.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I would think the same type of distinctions are present in all our Southern States.
    Indeed, cultural differences between the Appalachians and their foothills, metro Atlanta, and the low-country are very apparent to Georgia natives.

Southerners, in general, share a common identity, with many different cultural variations blending into each other, not a homogenous culture (and certainly not more homogenous than other areas of the country with distinct voting patterns, such as New England, the Megalopolis of the Eastern Seaboard, or the West Coast).

Permabanned

yes, americans largely divide by race.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    yes, americans largely divide by race.
    I interpreted his questions as, "why do white Americans identify as white rather than something more nuanced?", because of his description of how he identified himself which linked with his specific cultural roots. I could've interpreted it wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I just think of myself as (West) Germanic (a ethnocultural group)
    Americans are much more divorced from their roots than people in other colonial countries due to mixed ancestry and the lack of a founding culture directly based on a European nation
    a lot of "whaat folk" don't look at all like me and have very different cultural practices, so I find it strange that Americans consider everyone to be the same when they are quite clearly not. Is it just a lack of awareness or more than that, due to the melting pot effect changing their perception?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    I interpreted his questions as, "why do white Americans identify as white rather than something more nuanced?", because of his description of how he identified himself which linked with his specific cultural roots. I could've interpreted it wrong though.
    my intention was just to affirm the existence of the phenomenon
    we should blind people who see race...see if they can't hear it..

The USA way of defining identity in comparison to the Australian way of defining identity is clear.

The USA defines their identity by ideology while Australia defines our identity through history.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    It's important to be culturally aware of other white people because if you try to serve them non-fish in Louisiana on a Friday, the Catholics won't have enough protein and they will get Kwashiorkor and die one hour after lunch.

If you serve gumbo to Louisianian on the New Orleans side of the Pontchartrain, you have to have potato salad because they put that in their gumbo. You just need to know that in advance because you won't understand them when they tell you (horrible accents). This will frustrate them. And they'll throw Mardi Gras beads at you (quite good at that) and you will die.

But don't put potato salad in gumbo on the other side of the Pontchartrain, because they'll be like "WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? What did you DO?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" Then they will die.

That's why white people need to be culturally aware of other white people, lest someone die.
    Fixed. This makes sense to me, with a comic, but possibly true, flare.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    my intention was just to affirm the existence of the phenomenon
    we should blind people who see race...see if they can't hear it..
    You would blind someone for being able to recognize that people are different and categorize them accordingly (this comes naturally to xxTJs, especially). How tolerant of you.

Left wingers are the ones who really hate diversity.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

My observation is that Americans base their identity on race (and to an extent, ideology) - whereas in most of the world, however, people base their identity on ethnicity, which is a lot more specific.

My question was why this is.