User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

There's a pretty big difference between Atlanta and anything in Mississippi.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    That's started changing in recent decades. The south is not this big, unified culture it once was and is still perceived as being--I'm not sure it was ever all that unified and homogenous. For example, Virginia has counties and communities which more resemble Vermont or the northwest in terms of culture and values. The Old South as we knew it, for all intents and purposes, is dead (if it ever existed to begin with).
    I said similar. One example, the South is more religious. A LOT of churches. And each state has a unique culture.

Disco makes a good point about Louisiana, being one of the more distinct southern states. Creole, and all that. I'm pretty sure it's largely religious, with a sprinkle of voodoo.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There's a pretty big difference between Atlanta and anything in Mississippi.
    Of course, because Atlanta is an urban center. (and an awesome one, at that)

If we looked at Austin to base the culture of Texas, then we'd have something completely different.

The more similar cultures are pronounced in the rural regions.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I said similar. One example, the South is more religious. A LOT of churches. And each state has a unique culture.

Disco makes a good point about Louisiana, being one of the more distinct southern states. Creole, and all that. I'm pretty sure it's largely religious, with a sprinkle of voodoo.
    I'd say each state has several distinct cultures, or subcultures, at the very least.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Shit.. you could break Florida up into four different cultural regions by itself. South Florida (kind of like the dark place Mufasa points out to Simba in the Lion King), Central Florida, North East Florida aka The First Coast, and the pan handle. To you guys it would be easier to explain North and South Florida, but the distinctions still matter.

I would think the same type of distinctions are present in all our Southern States. And half my family is from Texas and its not some monolithic cultural amalgam either.

Florida is kind of a special case, because the northern and southern parts are so much different from one another.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Shit.. you could break Florida up into four different cultural regions by itself. South Florida (kind of like the dark place Mufasa points out to Simba in the Lion King), Central Florida, North East Florida aka The First Coast, and the pan handle. To you guys it would be easier to explain North and South Florida, but the distinctions still matter.

I would think the same type of distinctions are present in all our Southern States. And half my family is from Texas and its not some monolithic cultural amalgam either.

Florida is kind of a special case, because the northern and southern parts are so much different from one another.
    And Naples, on the SW side of Florida, is worlds away from Miami in terms of culture

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Apparently the differences between places as disparate as Tennessee and Louisiana escape the participants of this thread. Far be it from me to dissuade you from your small minded concepts of "Southern".
    The differences, in religion, cuisine, accents, mannerisms and traditions, are obvious between the white person from Tennessee and Louisiana, and I'm sure they'd both be quite aware. But, as most white Southerns are Republicans, they have this similarity. During the 2012 presidential cycle, they voted for Romney, even though they hated him, and they had the same reason, "the lesser of two evils," and posted it to Facebook. If they were different so significantly, they shouldn't have been acting the same.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    And Naples, on the SW side of Florida, is worlds away from Miami in terms of culture
    You could include Fort Myers and Port Charlotte with Naples.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Of course, because Atlanta is an urban center. (and an awesome one, at that)

If we looked at Austin to base the culture of Texas, then we'd have something completely different.
    That's my point. The South isn't all the same. Neither is Texas, but if you're going to call the South a culture, you can call Texas a culture.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

But I would contend that all those (south of Tampa) cities have more in common with each other than they do with Gainesville, or Jacksonville.

With the caveat being that the distinct central Florida culture extends down past Tampa down through the middle of the state to about the Okeechobee.