User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Apparently the differences between places as disparate as Tennessee and Louisiana escape the participants of this thread. Far be it from me to dissuade you from your small minded concepts of "Southern".
    The difference is obvious. Tennessee hasn't been relevant since 90s. Lousiana (State) is in the running for the SEC Championship almost every season.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Have you ever heard of Texas or the Pacific Northwest?
    Texas is sort of indicative of the South but possesses its own little idiosyncratic culture. For prevailing culture I was referring to more than one states being involved, though I am not familiar with the Pacific Northwest culture.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Texas is sort of indicative of the South but possesses its own little idiosyncratic culture. For prevailing culture I was referring to more than one states being involved, though I am not familiar with the Pacific Northwest culture.
    Do you always divide things up in a very specific and arbitrary way to make your definition fit?

Ask a Texan if they think anything about their culture is "little".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Socionics
    ILI

Do you always divide things up in a very specific way to make your definition fit?

Ask a Texan if they think anything about their culture is "little".
    "little" was used in that sentence as a figure of speech, not as in the actual adjective.

Is Texas's culture as uniform throughout as the Deep South?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

"little" was used in that sentence as a figure of speech, not as in the actual adjective.

Is Texas's culture as uniform throughout as the Deep South?
    You're starting with a false premise, that the "Deep South" has a uniform culture. Also, Texas is huge, both geographically and in population.

I'd argue Texas is in a class all its own.

Socionics
    ILI

You're starting with a false premise, that the "Deep South" has a uniform culture. Also, Texas is huge, both geographically and in population.
    I submit then, though the usual cultural divisions of the United States include Texas with the South instead of separating it as its own entity.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I'd argue Texas is in a class all its own.
    It is, and if you're going to say the South has a culture that is somehow distinct from the rest of the US, you must also admit that the same is true for Texas.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I submit then, though the usual cultural divisions of the United States include Texas with the South instead of separating it as its own entity.
    Who defines these "usual cultural divisions"? Non-Texans and non-Southerners, I would guess. I'm not from either region. I'm from the Midwest, but I have spent a good amount of time in both places. I know enough to know better than to group them together simply because both regions are predominantly Republican.

Socionics
    ILI

Who defines these "usual cultural divisions"? Non-Texans and non-Southerners, I would guess. I'm not from either region. I'm from the Midwest, but I have spent a good amount of time in both places. I know enough to know better than to group them together simply because both regions are predominantly Republican.
    I have no idea who defines them. Though I'm sure the sub-divisions allow Texas its own culture.

I, myself, live in Northern Mississippi, and don't really see that many cultural differences along the designated bible belt (of specifically Tennessee, Arkansas, Southern Missouri, Alabama, Northern Louisiana, Mississippi, Western Georgia) except in the urban areas. Though perhaps I simply have not properly experienced neighboring rural cultures.