User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Bergdahl Deal

Default Bergdahl Deal

What a cluster*^%#

The press tried to protect Obama for a couple of days, but the administration's vagueness is not holding up well to scrutiny and first hand accounts of what happened with Bergdahl. Idk maybe I'm just not seeing the conflicting accounts because I'm not googling hard enough...

Even MSNBC is getting critical.

The crazy thing is that if Obama did do this to take away attention from the VA he just went from a mess where there's plenty of blame to go around to a mess where he and his team are the only ones to blame.
    Last edited by Beorn; 06-05-2014 at 05:47 AM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Probably not Googling hard enough.

I've already read 2-3 articles this morning just on Yahoo analyzing the situation and why it's not what people are trying to make it out to be, and I wasn't even looking for the articles.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Probably not Googling hard enough.

I've already read 2-3 articles this morning just on Yahoo analyzing the situation and why it's not what people are trying to make it out to be, and I wasn't even looking for the articles.
    Yes, please give me another account that conflicts with what his platoon members are saying.

Anyway, even if it is more complex the administration is doing a piss-poor job communicating that and making a significant mistake referring to soldiers playing "telephone" or "swift boating." Soldiers who put their lives on the line for the man.

At the very least this is a PR and military relations disaster... One that could have been avoided by quietly doing the deal if it really was necessary and not grandstanding.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

5 taliban leaders for 1 soldier (of dubious worth).

Sounds like a fair trade (oh sarcasm font where art thou).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One difference I saw in the framing was casting it either in a "trade terrorists for hostage" light or in a "recovering our POW" light. That can impact how one views the value of the trade. Is it true that the Taliban is not officially declared a terrorist org by our government?

@Beorn: I told you one mainstream site running such articles. If you're interested, feel free to take the responsibility to look yourself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @Beorn: I told you one mainstream site running such articles. If you're interested, feel free to take the responsibility to look yourself.
    I already did. I found nothing that didn't confirm what I've already read. If there were accounts that contradicted the platoon members or somehow explained Bergdahl's actions I haven't seen them. My understanding of the situation is that there is no official determination of what happened, but that's not the same thing as conflicting accounts.

Seriously, if it's so obvious why aren't these alternate accounts major talking points? I get you telling me to google because it's not your job to find facts for me. I don't understand why a spokeswoman for the state dept would tell me that given that relaying facts is her whole job.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't understand why a spokeswoman for the state dept would tell me that given that relaying facts is her whole job.
    Haha, are you serious?

Her whole job is spinstress.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Haha, are you serious?

Her whole job is spinstress.
    i was being nice.

Quick, make up your minds before more information is available!

My thoughts: Even if he is a deserter and an asshole on top of it, he is still an American citizen deserving to be brought back home. And if the government gives away some terrorists in exchange, I expect those to be milked dry of any value they may once have possessed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Quick, make up your minds before more information is available!

My thoughts: Even if he is a deserter and an asshole on top of it, he is still an American citizen deserving to be brought back home. And if the government gives away some terrorists in exchange, I expect those to be milked dry of any value they may once have possessed.
    Maybe this increases danger to Americans abroad by encouraging terrorists to kidnap them. I don't know if I'm right in my line of thinking.