User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Bergdahl Deal

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Former Bush Official Blasts GOP On Bergdahl: Bush Would Have Done The Same Thing | ThinkProgress

Asked about reports that Bergdahl deserted his unit, Bellinger added that the former hostage “will have to face justice, military justice.” “We don’t leave soldiers on the battlefield under any circumstance unless they have actually joined the enemy army,” he said. “He was a young 20-year-old. Young 20-year-olds make stupid decisions. I don’t think we’ll say if you make a stupid decision we’ll leave you in the hands of the Taliban.”
    Though Cheney told Fox News on Monday that he would not have agreed to the deal, Bellinger stressed that the Bush administration “returned something like 500 detainees from Guantanamo.” Statistics from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence show that only 6 percent (5 in total) of Guantanamo detainees released during the Obama administration have potentially engaged in militant activities. That compares with a rate of nearly 30 percent under the Bush administration.
    “I’m not saying this is clearly an easy choice but frankly I think a Republican, a president of either party, Republican or Democratic confronted with this opportunity to get back Sgt. Bergdahl, who is apparently in failing health, would have taken this opportunity to do this,” he added. “I think we would have made the same decision in the Bush administration.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

It's a nasty story, and not at all as clear cut as the public would love for it to be.
    If he was a deserter-- and his unit, along with a growing amount of evidence, is really making it seem like he was-- he's actually still under UCMJ jurisdiction and would be punished accordingly. Lemme be clear, the military doesn't really work on the same level of leniency towards serious infractions that civilian courts do.
    If all of this is true and he really abandoned his post and proceeded to become captured... he could actually face up to a lifetime in a military penitentiary. Not a happy ending to the story in the least, but if seven (it's seven) other military members became casualties during the great manhunt for him, he sure doesn't have my sympathy, no matter how misguided or disillusioned he was.

Also I'm back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    [...] but if seven (it's seven) other military members became casualties during the great manhunt for him, he sure doesn't have my sympathy, no matter how misguided or disillusioned he was.
    How on earth can it be his fault these people died?

A: I don't want anything to do with this shit anymore. I'm leaving.
    B: No, you're not.
    A: Yes, I am.
    B: We're hunting you down, pal.
    A: Leave me the fuck alone!

B-H die on the hunt.

I: A killed 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How on earth can it be his fault these people died?

A: I don't want anything to do with this shit anymore. I'm leaving.
    B: No, you're not.
    A: Yes, I am.
    B: We're hunting you down, pal.
    A: Leave me the fuck alone!

B-H die on the hunt.

I: A killed 'em!
    Wow. You go through the trouble to basically call me a hack in another thread on a totally unrelated subject and then immediately post this ridiculous display of a hackish lack of the most basic critical thinking in defense of Bergdahl.

Let me spell it out for you:

All soldiers are privy to sensitive information that could lead to casualities should it fall into the wrong hands. They went after Bergdahl not just for his own sake, but for the safety of everyone in the area. In fact, platoon members reported that there was a substantial increase in effective attacks immediately following Bergdahl going missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Wow. You go through the trouble to basically call me a hack in another thread on a totally unrelated subject and then immediately post this ridiculous display of a hackish lack of the most basic critical thinking in defense of Bergdahl.

Let me spell it out for you:

All soldiers are privy to sensitive information that could lead to casualities should it fall into the wrong hands. They went after Bergdahl not just for his own sake, but for the safety of everyone in the area. In fact, platoon members reported that there was a substantial increase in effective attacks immediately following Bergdahl going missing.
    I invented a dialog to illustrate a perspective on the situation that helps explain my bewilderment at the suggestion that he is responsible for the seven dead soldiers.

If he is not only a deserter but also a traitor, as you would have it, not even knowing yet whether he is the former, the situation does indeed change.

I would not call you a hack, though. I think you are just rather suggestible.

I would not call you a hack, though. I think you are just rather suggestible.
    Easily swayed by what? Fox News? Republican strategists? First hand accounts from soldiers with nothing to gain from lying?

I didn't even bring the issue up until the liberal media started to take the questions surrounding the deal seriously.

I'm not suggestible. I'm just generally cynical of people in power. Wait until Jeb is president, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Easily swayed by what?
    By ideas indicating that what you fear about the government is true.

Being 'generally cynical of people in power' happens to be an ideology in the US, suggesting that it may not be the result of critical thinking but rather of believing what you were presented with, especially so if you were raised a Republican.

By ideas indicating that what you fear about the government is true.

Being 'generally cynical of people in power' happens to be an ideology in the US, suggesting that it may not be the result of critical thinking
    Sure, it's a disposition, but it's not a disposition that precludes critical thinking.

but rather of believing what you were presented with, especially so if you were raised a Republican.
    Sure, if you're presuming what I was presented with was an understanding of history and human nature.

Just to be clear here are the two mistakes by Obama's administration.

1. Obama shouldn't have stood next to Robert Bergdahl in the rose garden grandstanding given that he sent this tweet to a Taliban spokesperson:

2. The administration shouldn't have sent out Susan Rice to lie about Bergdahl serving with honor and distinction.

Wow. The WH is really digging in.

@AP: BREAKING: Officials: Congress not told of swap because Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if it leaked .
    1. This makes no sense since, as Rep. Amash noted, this would be done in a classified setting.

2. They told WaPo about the deal in February.
    U.S. seeks prisoner swap with Taliban to free Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl - The Washington Post

It will be interesting to see the response from Feinstein, Mancin, Rockefeller and other Dems who have complained about how this played out.