User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Bergdahl Deal

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    Maybe this increases danger to Americans abroad by encouraging terrorists to kidnap them. I don't know if I'm right in my line of thinking.
    Such a standard consideration has probably not occurred to any of the people responsible for these matters.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe this increases danger to Americans abroad by encouraging terrorists to kidnap them. I don't know if I'm right in my line of thinking.
    See my earlier post.

One side is asserting he wasn't captured and ransomed by terrorists but instead was a POW whose release we were arranging. Our government regardless of the party in charge seems to view the release of POWs as extremely important, historically

The accusation of "deserter" however is definitely complicating the matter.
    EDIT:
    Bowe Bergdahl: Vets Accuse Soldier of Walking Away - ABC News
    Bowe Bergdahl’s Former Roommates Paint Different Picture of Controversial Soldier - Yahoo News
    Bowe Bergdahl Too Fragile for Desertion Questions, Official Says - ABC News

Here is one article show that shows the difference in perspective:
    Page 2: White House: Yes, The Taliban Is a Terrorist Organization - ABC News

Obviously there's a tussle going on over how the issue is branded ("negotiating with terrorists" vs "arranging release of POW"), and of course it matters greatly in this situation which it really is. Or maybe it just matters how potential terrorists decide to view it regardless?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    See my earlier post.

One side is asserting he wasn't captured and ransomed by terrorists but instead was a POW whose release we were arranging. Our government regardless of the party in charge seems to view the release of POWs as extremely important, historically

"trade terrorists for hostage" vs "recovering our POW". I guess the distinguishment between the framing does make a difference. But, he was captured and ransomed, wasn't he? I guess what you're saying is the prisoner exchange was kind of routine historically, and not much different than how we've recovered POW's in the past.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"trade terrorists for hostage" vs "recovering our POW". I guess the distinguishment between the framing does make a difference. But, he was captured and ransomed, wasn't he? I guess what you're saying is the prisoner exchange was kind of routine historically, and not much different than how we've recovered POW's in the past.
    Yeah, that was essentially my point.
    But I am not sure how to read the whole situation myself yet, personally.

It looks like the White House WAS talking to Congress about it... yet then actually arranged the exchange without tacit Congressional approval. And despite brokering deals for POWs historically in our past (regardless of party in charge?), I'm still kind of on the fence here since perception sometimes can trump reality; as long as a terrorist thinks the US will be willing to negotiate, do the nuances of this kind of exchange matter?

I also read he was our only "official" POW at this point in that particular conflict, but I'm looking for confirmation on that.

I do suspect the intelligence community (as Nico kind of nodded to) milked the five prisoners for what they were worth and likely thinks now they'll get more out of them in surveillance than just holding them indefinitely under wraps.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yeah, that was essentially my point.
    But I am not sure how to read the whole situation myself yet, personally.

It looks like the White House WAS talking to Congress about it... yet then actually arranged the exchange without tacit Congressional approval.
    Uh, a couple of years ago, yes.

But, Obama had to apologize to Feinstein for not notifying her when the decision was made.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Considering that this particular swap was last brought up in Jan 2012, and that a law was passed last year requiring the White House to give Congress 30 days notification of any such prisoner swap, yes, the White House should have apologized since they apparently only gave 1-2 days notice.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Whatever accusations are being made or labels give, I'm going to go ahead and trust the ones of his platoon over anyone else. They were there, grunts don't spin.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Whatever accusations are being made or labels give, I'm going to go ahead and trust the ones of his platoon over anyone else. They were there, grunts don't spin.
    I don't have an issue with that at all, honestly, I have the same kind of view.
    What I'm more interested in is how that impacts his status as a POW.

If someone walks off-post, does that officially mean he cannot be considered a POW if captured if he's overseas and in enemy territory? What's the official "law" on that if any?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Back during the Reagan administration, Democrats bitched and moaned when Reagan's officials traded arms for hostages. Which is worse? Trading arms for hostages (plural, but I'm not sure how many hostages they had) or trading terrorists for a hostage (possibly deserter/collaborator/traitor)?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    5 taliban leaders for 1 soldier (of dubious worth).

Sounds like a fair trade (oh sarcasm font where art thou).
    I've been hearing from Jake Tapper that 6 soldiers died looking for Bergdahl. Good grief.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz