User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It sounds very egalitarian to be on the side of Net Neutrality and my first instinct was to join that side, but after learning more about the issue, I'm not really sure which path is best. The reason is, I don't think we've ever actually had Net Neutrality. It's always been possible for companies to pay for better access and that has gotten us the internet that we have today. That money has been used to pay for infrastructure upgrades that have benefited everyone. It's not as black and white of an issue as the Net Neutrality side makes it out to be.
    Where did you get this from? I want to know. Because from what I know, they haven't really done much when it comes to infrastructure upgrades. They are willing to keep other companies away from their zone even if that other company is willing create better upgrades in the region. They've been pushing for other things and increasing the price for these "plans" but that is about it. I mean, my city might be different and all, but the area I live in is stuck with DSL, which is a good decade or two, and the price hasn't decrease one bit.

I do agree on your second point about the "duopoly" though.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Where did you get this from? I want to know. Because from what I know, they haven't really done much when it comes to infrastructure upgrades. They are willing to keep other companies away from their zone even if that other company is willing create better upgrades in the region. They've been pushing for other things and increasing the price for these "plans" but that is about it. I mean, my city might be different and all, but the area I live in is stuck with DSL, which is a good decade or two, and the price hasn't decrease one bit.

I do agree on your second point about the "duopoly" though.
    Net Neutrality doesn't have anything to do with the price you pay for your plan or the fact that you're stuck with DSL. It has to do with the interconnects between providers and providers have upgraded their interconnections over the years.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Net Neutrality doesn't have anything to do with the price you pay for your plan or the fact that you're stuck with DSL. It has to do with the interconnects between providers and providers have upgraded their interconnections over the years.
    I know that much about Net Neutrality, I must have went on a tangent when I was referring to the bolded part (about infrastructures?) What I am essentially referring to is that there isn't much an infrastructure upgrade if the infrastructure itself has been the same for decades or just variances of that same structure.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I know that much about Net Neutrality, I must have went on a tangent when I was referring to the bolded part (about infrastructures?) What I am essentially referring to is that there isn't much an infrastructure upgrade if the infrastructure itself has been the same for decades or just variances of that same structure.
    The same infrastructure? You can't be serious.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."