User Tag List

Default questioning political correctness

Alot of people I talk to seem to think that only certain groups can be victims of discrimination, that for instance, women cant be sexist or that Navajoes and Sri Lankans cant be racist. This pleading in favor of "minority" groups as being "oppressees" and majority groups being "oppressors" is called political correctness, an idea stemming from Marxist ideology.

Now, I also find there is no argueing with someone convinced of these truisms(that "oppressed" groups are to be favored over those who aerent), since Marxist ideology sees everything in socio-economic terms, the only reality is a social one, hence people cannot be oppressed on an individual level, only "classes" can be oppressed or oppressive. Most people who adhere to this worldview do not even realize it stems from Marx. This isnt to incite a "commie hunt" or anything like that, just some perspective. I think its good to know the history of ideas and how they are commonly accepted as "realities" by people without questioning, once you identify the source of an idea, you can question it. If you understand that "political correctness" comes from Marx, notable his idea of class struggle, you can give it some context. Like I said, I notice that the term "potlically correct" is not something those I identify as being poltically correct use to describe themselves. They are simply right, and if you dont agree, you're part of a greater problem.

I dont know where Im going with this, as its only going to reinforce those who agree with me that Im right, and those disagree with me that Im wrong, I just feel like getting this out there. This was originally gonna be a thread about self-victimization, though there might be a companion thread to this one about that subject soon enough, I dunno.

tldr version; Political correctness, as we know it today comes from Marxism, to understand that is to gain some context, as Marx was but a man and he could very well have been wrong.

Any thoughts?

I agree.

For example, too many believe institutional racism is the only kind of racism. Granted, that's the most common expression of it and where our attention needs to be focused, but racism is racism regardless of the perpetrator.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I agree.

For example, too many believe institutional racism is the only kind of racism. Granted, that's the most common expression of it and where our attention needs to be focused, but racism is racism regardless of the perpetrator.
    I look at this way, white supremacy has historically been the dominant system of racism but not the only kind, it never occurs to liberals that whites who are in power can institute laws, practices, ect that could potentially discriminate against whites based on radically leftist ideological beliefs(look at what some of the Weather Underground advocates said after the Manson murders about white baby pigs), maybe not to the extent of institutional racism against people of color but it is possible. A lot of racism, sexism, ect is framed in us vs them perspective that is very limited, a lot of the racism I have received has been from fellow african-americans who discriminate against me because of my darker skin complexion(often called colorism), blacks are just as capable of being white supremacist as any KKK member and the hurt it inflicts is every bit as disgusting as a white person racist against non-whites.

Women are sometimes subject to abuse and misogynistic slurs by other women and men in power will often casually discriminate against men in the criminal justice system(based on internalized negative patriarchal beliefs about men), the new left has adopted the class conflict narrative of marxism when it is not always applicable(especially in regards to feminism), this comes almost directly from the Frankfurt School from the 1930s and was applied to the many social justice movements since the 1960s.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I absolutely agree that an oppressed minority can inflict discrimination upon another group. I saw this while living in South America where colorism, as Robopop referred to it, is very prevalent. I believe no group, or individual, is above being questioned regarding their actions, including myself.

Again, if you haven't seen Portlandia, I highly recommend it because it takes political correctness to such an extreme that it's hilarious and frightening, especially the two women who own a Womyn's bookstore.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    A lot of racism, sexism, ect is framed in us vs them perspective that is very limited, a lot of the racism I have received has been from fellow african-americans who discriminate against me because of my darker skin complexion(often called colorism), blacks are just as capable of being white supremacist as any KKK member and the hurt it inflicts is every bit as disgusting as a white person racist against non-whites.

Women are sometimes subject to abuse and misogynistic slurs by other women and men in power will often casually discriminate against men in the criminal justice system(based on internalized negative patriarchal beliefs about men), the new left has adopted the class conflict narrative of marxism when it is not always applicable(especially in regards to feminism), this comes almost directly from the Frankfurt School from the 1930s and was applied to the many social justice movements since the 1960s.
    Wins thread.