User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 789101119 Last

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    What are examples of this "rape culture"?

Objectifying women with happen until the end of time. And this isn't just from men. I saw a woman wear a mini skirt once.

And the only rapper I know of that contributes to rape culture is DJ Rapey Rape, "Hey yo, I love rapin' hos!' Deplorable.
    I think it manifests mostly by some men harassing women on the street by whistling, turning around in flagrant manner to say "oooooh", honking, etc. I used to do it. Some of my friends still do it. Its just not a way to act. The same is true, btw, when its women who do this to men; I had a friiend get his balls grabbed by a woman in public; its just not a way to act.

I dont think its wrong to "objectify" memebers of the opposite sex, but it is wrong to openly harass them.

And as far as rap music goes, you just have to hear the words rappers use to refer to women.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

What are examples of this "rape culture"?

Objectifying women with happen until the end of time. And this isn't just from men. I saw a woman wear a mini skirt once.

And the only rapper I know of that contributes to rape culture is DJ Rapey Rape, "Hey yo, I love rapin' hos!' Deplorable.
    25 Everyday Examples of Rape Culture

(Skip the intro)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Ok, that actually makes sense.

It does say that rape jokes are never funny, but I did laugh at this: "New Rape Slide Whistle Renders Attacker Incapable Of Maintaining Erection"
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think it manifests mostly by some men harassing women on the street by whistling, turning around in flagrant manner to say "oooooh", honking, etc. I used to do it. Some of my friends still do it. Its just not a way to act. The same is true, btw, when its women who do this to men; I had a friiend get his balls grabbed by a woman in public; its just not a way to act.

I dont think its wrong to "objectify" memebers of the opposite sex, but it is wrong to openly harass them.

And as far as rap music goes, you just have to hear the words rappers use to refer to women.
    Only a small percentage of rap music even focuses on that, the majority of rap's subject matter involves respect and to a lesser degree violence(against other men) and survivalism/nihilism. There is a good percentage of socially conscious rap as well but let's just stigmatize the entire genre as female objectification.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Chris Rock-"It's hard to defend rappers today."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Only a small percentage of rap music even focuses on that, the majority of rap's subject matter involves respect and to a lesser degree violence(against other men) and survivalism/nihilism. There is a good percentage of socially conscious rap as well but let's just stigmatize the entire genre as female objectification.
    When people aren't rap fans, they judge it based on what's on the radio. And what's on the radio is disproportionally about problematic attitudes towards women. Because that's what sells, I suppose.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

When people aren't rap fans, they judge it based on what's on the radio. And what's on the radio is disproportionally about problematic attitudes towards women. Because that's what sells, I suppose.
    Or Iggy Azalea.

But she just can't rap at all.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Ummmmm, no.

I listen to a LOT of rap, have for a decade. For every album there's at least 3 songs devoted primarily towards "bitches and hos."

Hip Hop would side less on the hos and bitches side, but there's that too.

And yes, what makes it into the mainstream as well, is mostly "bitches and hos" rap.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ummmmm, no.

I listen to a LOT of rap, have for a decade. For every album there's at least 3 songs devoted primarily towards "bitches and hos."

Hip Hop would side less on the hos and bitches side, but there's that too.
    I've been listening to rap for decades, I was probably thinking more along the lines of late '80s/'90s rap but I have noticed a trend towards hyper-sexualization since the late '90s but I stand by my statement that the majority of rap's subject matter is about respect.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Socionics
    ILI Ni

@Robopop Weird it didnt notify me when you quoted me.

But I think that while there certainly is alot of sensible stuff in rap music, theres also alot of stuff about "bitches and hos", though it depends on the artist, really. If you're into more socially oriented rap music, you might get less of it, and you will hear some very sensible stuff. I guess I generalized when blaming rap music, I dont mean to say all rap and rap music promotes sexual denigration of women, but a large percentage of rappers do, more so than in other subcultures it seems.