User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 67891018 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Since victim-blaming is still a thing, yes.
    In our society, a bigger problem than victim-blaming is victim-playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post

I take issue with the term "rape culture" in other countries though (such as the US). I feel it's not an apt description, and is used by people who are pissed off. Rightfully so, but I don't take well to things that smell of emotional pleading or guilting. When people start shouting "YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" I just turn off and ignore the person. I ain't got the time nor patience for that kind of BS behavior. I've had a few people at my grad school (never happened at undergrad though) actually get visibly mad at me because I said I didn't want to engage in a conversation about rape culture. Saying things akin to "well, you're part of the problem then!". You know, people have limits to the number of causes they can actively care about. Just because I don't want to talk about it, or get annoyed when other people go on and on about it, doesn't mean that I don't want things to get better. It's like, you can't win unless you throw all your weight at it. Nope, I am not having that.

Which, is why I just stay quiet on these discussions a lot of the time. People get too emotional, too huffy, too accuseatory, and it's REALLY effing annyoing. I want to shout STFU to all of them, but obviously I don't. I'll just get annoyed and not help, you guys go fix it, I'm gonna go help other things.
    For this, see my response to Chanaynay.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    In our society, a bigger problem than victim-blaming is victim-playing.
    No, I'm pretty sure you're wrong and victim-blaming is still a huge issue.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

No, I'm pretty sure you're wrong and victim-blaming is still a huge issue.
    Are you trying to guilt me?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Are you trying to guilt me?
    No? I don't see where you got that from. But the amount of people I see saying "she's a slut; she probably just had sex and regretted it so she's lying" or "she lead him on so she had it coming" is way more prominent among responses than responses saying "wow, it's entirely his fault."

Note: not to say these pronouns are exclusive in the situation I'm describing. Women can rape men, women can rape women, men can rape men - basically anyone can rape anyone. And it's never anyone's "fault" for being raped either.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

No? I don't see where you got that from. But the amount of people I see saying "she's a slut; she probably just had sex and regretted it so she's lying" or "she lead him on so she had it coming" is way more prominent among responses than responses saying "wow, it's entirely his fault."
    I dont think its anyone's fault they got raped. But if you dont know what happened when someone accuses another of rape, its best to let the police handle it and not express any kind of opinion(supposing there is genuine doubt as to whether a woman got raped or if shes just accusing a man of it) or get involved.

Note: not to say these pronouns are exclusive in the situation I'm describing. Women can rape men, women can rape women, men can rape men - basically anyone can rape anyone. And it's never anyone's "fault" for being raped either.
    Ok, said like that, I agree.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Ok, said like that, I agree.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. And following the definition @EJCC posted: "which people aren’t taught not to rape, but are taught not to be raped." - there are still way too many people out there blaming the victim for what happened to them, how the victim failed at not being raped, etc. That's one of the reasons why I believe rape culture exists still.

There's also this thing I found on Tumblr I found powerful:

prokopetz:

prokopetz:

Rape is the only crime on the books for which arguing that the temptation to commit it was too clear and obvious to resist is treated as a defense. For every other crime, we call that a confession.

I’ve gotten more angry asks about this post than I have actual reblogs.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Caution.
    How cautious do you have to be?

Yeah, rape culture exists but having visited other countries and hearing from foreigners, I'd say it's prevalent everywhere.
    Night is another candle

@Chanaynay

Thats interesting, and certainly makes you think about how we see rape in our society.

However, I wanted to bring up the issue of victim playing, which isnt the same thing as being a victim. I feel that in terms of numbers, theres alot more people who play victim then actually are(or at least are the most vocal), but I feel that would derail the topic, so Im probably going to create another one just for that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DeceptiveCreative View Post
    How cautious do you have to be?
    Six, give or take two.

Maybe "discretion" better encapsulates what I think most lack. Also the foresight to build a backdoor (maybe via support network?) before locking the front. That might be expecting too much, though. That also assumes the privilege of choice, which many cultures deprive women of.

Totally unrelated, does anyone think war might be beneficial to society?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

What are examples of this "rape culture"?

Objectifying women with happen until the end of time. And this isn't just from men. I saw a woman wear a mini skirt once.

And the only rapper I know of that contributes to rape culture is DJ Rapey Rape, "Hey yo, I love rapin' hos!' Deplorable.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.