User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Especially as a female traveler, this thread just made me hate all men. Great job, guys.

Just one more way for me to be degraded and objectified, as if I hadn't had enough of that over the last half decade.
    Your post made me hate women. Great job Sanjuro, you fucked up my love life as if it wasn't bad enough.

Do you wonen experience any differences in the way you look at or interact with men when horny? If yes how? Do ypu start treating them as sex(ual) objects?

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Your post made me hate women. Great job Sanjuro, you fucked up my love life as if it wasn't bad enough.
    Guess what kiddo. MEN HAVE NEVER WANTED ME A DAY IN MY LIFE.

So you can fucking keep your love life to yourself as I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Guess what kiddo. MEN HAVE NEVER WANTED ME A DAY IN MY LIFE.

So you can fucking keep your love life to yourself as I have no sympathy whatsoever.
    Likewise.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Likewise.
    Actually, I do.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    FTR, I never experienced sexual harrassment during my time in the military, and the handful of women I knew well on active duty would say the same. Perhaps it differs from one service to another, or for officers vs. enlisted. I'm not saying it isn't a huge problem, just not absolute in scope as you describe.
    My point wasn't to sensationalize.. because I feel like National Guard females in particular are susceptible to this more-so than active duty females due to the fact that the soldiers within their own ranks don't see these females all the time during the years, and when they go on deployments they're typically 'new females' to the already established flora of soldiers. But this was absolutely true of the lower enlisted ranks, which happen to be the higher stats on this. I think officers tend to have way better buffers in place, and certain jobs tend to have much better, more professional outcomes. But where I was, typically dealing with lower enlisted combat related jobs? It was jarring when the females got together and would just complain and talk about being seriously creeped out by x soldier, day in and day out.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

There's no side. There's just reality and we are all a part of it.

I hate this us against them, Women against men camp formation and stereotyping and hatred based on association.
    This is another major issue I have about the 'movement' against rape culture--there is very little acknowledging the control women have in their own lives and in the lives of the women around them. It is impossible to say that men have slipped into rape culture mentalities without saying that we, as women collectively, allowed it to happen on some level. We're half the population. If it really pissed us off in the beginning stages, it would have been squashed long ago. To say there are only two sides is ridiculous--there are many neutral stances, and careless stances, and gray areas all inbetween. I don't really mind a neutral stance on this issue. There are plenty of men that don't objectify women, that grew up watching rap music videos on TV and still are decent guys, that go to clubs but don't actively try to get with the drunkest woman in the room.. I can completely understand a guy saying he's not an anti rape culture activist, but that he doesn't really want to rape women or make them feel uncomfortable around him either.

I was discussing this with my boyfriend the other day, and he said something really important to me. "The decisions you make, and the influences you have on others with those decisions.. those DO contribute to the movement, one way or the other. You don't have to hate men, go to rallies, or get on a soapbox to make a change in it all. Just living your life will help it, or hurt it." I think the most essential task in this anti-rape culture movement is to get CLOSER to men, not to push them farther away. And that part has massively failed.

I don't deny that rape-culture exists in the sense that the social phenomenons that are associated with it happen all the time. I hate the name, and the connotations that come with it, and the name itself has imploded on its mission, more less the loudest proponents of it. It alienates and destroys the bonds that are required to fix the issues at hand.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    I'm quite torn about this definition, finding it too drastic a hyperbole since it puts the majority of males on the defensive, the same males who aren't rapists. But I can't deny that a large percentage of women experience rape or rape attempts, needing to go excessive lengths to avoid the possibility of it happening. The question to ask is why women are held responsible for being sexually assaulted, when the responsibility for the assault should reside with the perp.
    @andante -- PM coming.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Socionics
    ESI None

I would say yes.

There is a culture, exemplified moslty by rap music, machism etc, which tries to impose male sexuality on women.

Dont get me wrong, I dont call myself a feminist, and I dont agree with feminist extremists would say we should castrate men who rape women(this was actually suggested by a male feminist classmate of mine in senior year government class) or anything like that, so dont get the wrong image of me.

But to deny that there is a problem with sexual harassment on our streets - sexual harassment mainly directed at women on the part of certain men - would be to deny a reality.

Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    No, but if you change it to 'sexual harassment culture' I might agree.
    Yeah, perhaps the term "rape culture" is a bit too strong for our western society, maybe in Egypt it would apply, but in non-middle eastern countries, its better termed "sexual harassment culture" especially since that carries less punch and is less likely to seduce those who are easily brainwashed by politically correct slogans.