User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 4445253545556 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qloshae View Post
    Then, there was also the studies saying for example that women could multitask while men couldn't, later study proved that neither men nor women could actually multitask as the brain needs to distribute attention between the different tasks.
    It's culturally acceptable to say women are better than men. It's fair because people believed men were better than women in the past. Fairness is more important than truth for many people.

I have issues with this genre of studies, which could be called inequality promoting studies as all they do is lift up one of the sexes while putting the other down.

It's a sad day when people use the name of science as a tool to express sexism.
    I don't see how this particular study is promoting inequality. It's not claiming men or women are better, just different.

I don't think "promoting inequality" is necessarily a bad thing. Promoting truth is what is important. If it turns out women's brains are actually better than men's at some things, we shouldn't squash that knowledge in the interest of equality.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's culturally acceptable to say women are better than men. It's fair because people believed men were better than women in the past. Fairness is more important than truth for many people.
    That's one of the ideologies of feminism I got issues with, the "fair should be fair" feminism which wants men to suffer as long as women have to prove a point.
    I myself however was taught that two wrongs doesn't make a right.

I don't see how this particular study is promoting inequality. It's not claiming men or women are better, just different.
    It is tho, it claims that men are simple minded - only capable of thinking of a single thing at the time, vs the very superior woman who can do 10 things without any problem.

Things like that and the picture with a huge book saying "how to understand women" or something like that and with a tiny book with nothing in it saying "how to understand men" are very frequently occurring. If confronted, they reply "it's just a joke", or make fun of you for being "over-sensitive". While if you were to just make a small comment about women being in the kitchen suddenly it is HUGE SEXISM and you should be burned alive!

I don't think "promoting inequality" is necessarily a bad thing. Promoting truth is what is important. If it turns out women's brains are actually better than men's at some things, we shouldn't squash that knowledge in the interest of equality.
    Well, on one side there's science relating to biological factors that were necessary for survival. For example why color sight is in the X chromosome and not Y which may be because men hunted and didn't need to see colors to do that while women picking berries, fruit or anything as such would have needed to or they might have picked a bad one and poisoned everyone. On the other end there's self-proclaimed science which doesn't lead anywhere.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It is tho, it claims that men are simple minded - only capable of thinking of a single thing at the time, vs the very superior woman who can do 10 things without any problem.
    The study claimed that men are simple-minded? I didn't see anything like that in the article on the study I linked.

Things like that and the picture with a huge book saying "how to understand women" or something like that and with a tiny book with nothing in it saying "how to understand men" are very frequently occurring. If confronted, they reply "it's just a joke", or make fun of you for being "over-sensitive". While if you were to just make a small comment about women being in the kitchen suddenly it is HUGE SEXISM and you should be burned alive!
    The idea that men are simple and women are complex predates feminism.

Well, on one side there's science relating to biological factors that were necessary for survival. For example why color sight is in the X chromosome and not Y which may be because men hunted and didn't need to see colors to do that while women picking berries, fruit or anything as such would have needed to or they might have picked a bad one and poisoned everyone. On the other end there's self-proclaimed science which doesn't lead anywhere.
    I still don't see what this has to do with the article on the study I linked to.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The study claimed that men are simple-minded? I didn't see anything like that in the article on the study I linked.

I still don't see what this has to do with the article on the study I linked to.
    Communication issue, I was talking about the multitasking thing.

The idea that men are simple and women are complex predates feminism.
    So does the idea that women should be in the kitchen.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I believe a gun culture exists. There are gun shows, and shows about guns. Guns are portrayed in a cool fashion in movies, and we even have a constitutional right to own them. I talk to other friends who enjoy shooting about guns, and that's a normal thing.

There aren't rape shows. Or shows that portray rape favorably.

I believe a car culture exists. There are car shows, and a substantial subsect of the populace is into cars, and thats ok with society.

There is no such thing for rape.

Theres a sports culture, book culture, food culture, and plenty of other cultures. But rape is in no way as accepted or as promoted as any of those other things.

So no, there is no rape culture.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So does the idea that women should be in the kitchen.
    I don't see how this relates to my comment.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The caveat being that I guess you can torture and twist the definition of culture until you make the statement that there is a rape culture work, but you aren't even in the same ball park as any other commonly accepted culture.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I think if we said that there is a culture/ are cultures that enable rape and mindsets that lead to rape more than others- and unnecessarily so- there would be remarkably little disagreement in this thread.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    I think if we said that there is a culture/ are cultures that enable rape and mindsets that lead to rape more than others- and unnecessarily so- there would be remarkably little disagreement in this thread.
    There are attitudes and mind sets that do that. Not "cultures".

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    There are attitudes and mind sets that do that. Not "cultures".
    Attitudes and mindsets largely comprise culture, and cultures influence attitudes and mindsets.

What do you think a culture is?
    Go to sleep, iguana.