User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    47 72.31%
  • No

    18 27.69%
First 3435152535455 Last

Results 521 to 530 of 567

  1. #521
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Well said. There are definitely trends in characteristics and abilities. But it seems like there's enough variation among individuals to warrant not assuming gender-based trends apply to anyone in particular. On average, men have greater upper body strength. But I'd put Sara Robles up against any man here in a weightlifting competition.
    We make assumptions all the time, about everything. If we didn't take shortcuts, it would take forever to make decisions. Our species would have gone extinct long ago if we didn't have that trait.

    Some people are assholes with the assumptions they make and that sucks, but it gets old hearing people constantly rag on a trait that is fundamental to how our brains function.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #522
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We make assumptions all the time, about everything. If we didn't take shortcuts, it would take forever to make decisions. Our species would have gone extinct long ago if we didn't have that trait.

    Some people are assholes with the assumptions they make and that sucks, but it gets old hearing people constantly rag on a trait that is fundamental to how our brains function.
    Learning to be quicker at correcting our mistaken assumptions and adjusting our behavior accordingly needs to become just as fundamental to our functioning. Otherwise we are still living in the age of the woolly mammoth.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #523
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Do you think rape affects men? What % of all rapes do you think men consist? Are you aware of PREA and their surveys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Rape affects men, directly and indirectly.
    I noticed that you didn't answer the 2nd or 3rd question so I will fill in the gap with readily available information on the internet.

    More men are raped in the US than women, figures on prison assaults reveal, Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz34aBHcflX

    The Daily Mail was "sloppy" and did not provide links at the bottom of the online article, however if you look at the FBI's stats (2008), they line up: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-1 Here is a link to stats collected by PREA 2014 I could not find PREA stats for 2008.

    Which brings me to PREA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_...on_Act_of_2003 Their Site: http://www.prea.org/

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What's your point here?
    My point is still the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    As to the "point" I was trying to make, about rape being a societal/criminal issue that affects us all, alludes to the societal ignorance/indifference to prison rape. More men are raped each year than women when you factor in prison rape (I will supply a link to a prior post I made, which includes embedded links for the raw data, at the bottom of this post). It's a human issue.
    If prevalence is the standard by which a determination as to which gender to focus messaging to, then it is clear to me, based on the information I've supplied, rape is a gender neutral issue, within the framework of victim identity.

    As pertains to the substantive effect of "what to do about rape" it should be, but isn't, important to consider all kinds of rape (not just the "rape culture" narrative) when deciding upon a strategy to combat it. This is one reason why the concept of "rape culture" is defective, as it has clearly failed and continues to do so, in addressing a whole segment of rape. Step one in regards to "what to do about rape", stop calling it a woman's issue. Get men more involved.

    @Coriolis Do you think that rape is a "women's" issue? If so, could you please elaborate? Perhaps I've overlooked something and would appreciate the opportunity to expand my understanding on this subject. Thanks!

    Additionally RAINN makes some really good recommendation's as to how to proceed https://rainn.org/images/03-2014/WH-...mendations.pdf
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #524
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    As I write we are in the middle of a Royal Commission into child rape.

    Yes, we are inquiring into 1,000 institutions regarding child rape.

    Both the victims and the perpetrators are testifying before the Royal Commission.

    So there is no doubt there is a culture of institutional child rape.

    Only two nations in the world have had the moral courage to have a Judicial Enquiry into institutional child rape, Ireland and Australia. In other countries the powerful perpetrators remain hidden and protected.

  5. #525
    Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why do people keep repeating this nonsense about men and women being the same, just with different sex organs? I think they've allowed the Politics of Equality to cloud their judgment. Science backs up the claim that there are innate differences between men and women that go beyond penises and vaginas.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4374010.html

    That's not to mention all the behavioral hormonal differences between males and females. People don't want to admit that the differences between the sexes are real because they pray at the Altar of Equality.
    If you are referring to what I said then I only brought up sexual organs for their obviousness as a distinction between sex and gender.
    What you brought up are differences between the sexes.
    I've been trying to explain that physical differences do not relate to gender as gender is a social construct.

    That said, I've never trusted that research you are showing, a lot of it seems to be aimed at the current attitude of "10 reasons women are superior to men", which is just silly.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

  6. #526
    Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Men evolved to perform a certain function in society, as did women. I think that men and women would naturally assume gender roles if they weren't brainwashed. What concerns me is that men have traditionally had separate roles to women which has given us a sense of identity and purpose. Also explain to me how you can be valued as much if you are doing something which the other party can do as well?
    Pulling the evolutionary card doesn't give you any points when discussing genders. Plus, your body has no concept of society so it can't have "evolved to perform a certain function in society". It is also a very very narrow-minded view on the whole thing.
    Brainwashed? You mean, brainwashed to believe that everyone is equal and is deserving of equal respect, no matter sex, gender, sexuality, color of their skin or whichever other thing that makes people different from each other? Probably not, brainwashed would be to believe that one sex is superior to the other without a valid reason to believe so, or to believe that the way things have been is the way things must be to guarantee your survival.

    That you have lost a sense of identity and purpose because you can't dominate and control women really isn't my concern as I feel both a sense of identity and purpose.

    You need a cookie for cooking food instead of your significant other? A medal?

    Sure. This should be obvious (though i am learning nothing can be taken for granted with you people) but men and women are unequal physically; the average man is going to be able to perform a number of physical tasks to an ability above that of the average woman. Again, this is due to evolution, males and females being crafted for differing roles.
    You are mixing up gender and sex. The male sex has more testosterone than the female sex which also leads to things such as thicker bones and more muscles. Has nothing to do with gender.
    Ofc. if you want that to limit you then go ahead, personally I wouldn't like being in the mines or some other extremely physical job while the women were in the intellectual and care-taking fields due to their naturally lower amount of muscle. I'd rather be part of the intellectual fields myself.

    Believe it or not, I treat women with respect as well. In fact, it has been me treating them with respect, doing favours for them and not focusing on my own needs enough which has led to me being taken advantage of in the past. We were just discussing in another thread how being really nice and passive with women doesn't turn them on. Guys who act that way get friendzoned and laughed at. I used to be completely like that, and still are partly. I am just learning from my mistakes.
    I see, could have fooled me because I thought you were very narrow-minded and disrespectful to women. Claiming they needed to be dominated etc.
    Tho ofc. that is a sign of feelings of inferiority which leads to the mind defending itself through attacking whatever gives it that feeling. In your case that would be women.

    Plus, it seems like the consensus in general is that you are far too disrespectful to be attractive.
    The women in your other thread actually stated many times over that they were attracted to men that did their part in a relationship and also respected them. Tho I guess you missed that because it didn't fit your internal image of women.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

  7. #527
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qloshae View Post
    That said, I've never trusted that research you are showing, a lot of it seems to be aimed at the current attitude of "10 reasons women are superior to men", which is just silly.
    Of course you don't. Wherever science conflicts with belief, science loses out. You can tell what people hold sacred by which scientific findings they deny.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #528
    Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Of course you don't. Wherever science conflicts with belief, science loses out. You can tell what people hold sacred by which scientific findings they deny.
    True.
    However, I also know that if scientists write something controversial, the universities won't want them. Therefor they need to conform to the attitudes in society. Which means stating anything that could be interpreted as sexist against women will be seen as sexist against women and the scientists will meet a wall of hate. The opposite is in contrast written into most pop-psychology papers and spreads like wildfire.
    On top of that, there is no objectivity when it comes to such topics.

    That is why I don't trust that the studies are valid.

    There was some article on this earlier that I can't find relating to a female scientist making a study on something relating to children or something like that which could be seen as kinda harsh or half-controversial which was met with such hate from self-proclaimed feminists that she got fired. Because it didn't paint women in a positive light.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

  9. #529
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qloshae View Post
    True.
    However, I also know that if scientists write something controversial, the universities won't want them. Therefor they need to conform to the attitudes in society. Which means stating anything that could be interpreted as sexist against women will be seen as sexist against women and the scientists will meet a wall of hate. The opposite is in contrast written into most pop-psychology papers and spreads like wildfire.
    On top of that, there is no objectivity when it comes to such topics.

    That is why I don't trust that the studies are valid.

    There was some article on this earlier that I can't find relating to a female scientist making a study on something relating to children or something like that which could be seen as kinda harsh or half-controversial which was met with such hate from self-proclaimed feminists that she got fired. Because it didn't paint women in a positive light.
    It sounds to me like you have more of a problem with certain studies not being performed than the results of this particular study.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #530
    Assassin from the future Qloshae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    MBTI
    NONE
    Enneagram
    5 sx/so
    Socionics
    NONE
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It sounds to me like you have more of a problem with certain studies not being performed than the results of this particular study.
    Then, there was also the studies saying for example that women could multitask while men couldn't, later study proved that neither men nor women could actually multitask as the brain needs to distribute attention between the different tasks.

    I have issues with this genre of studies, which could be called inequality promoting studies as all they do is lift up one of the sexes while putting the other down.

    It's a sad day when people use the name of science as a tool to express sexism.
    MBTI: IXXX (I don't even believe in it atm.)
    Enneagram: 5 | Sx/So
    Big 5: RLOAI (last time I did it)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    MOTIV type: SOTID
    MOTIV+ type: |S|oxiD

Similar Threads

  1. Do You Believe Hair Culture Exists?
    By Grand Admiral Crunch in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
  2. How much do you believe you are an ther type?
    By Lexlike in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:51 PM
  3. What ideas do you believe are innate?
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
  4. Do you believe in natural rights?
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
  5. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO