User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 234561454 Last

MBTI
    INtP

I'm going to skip on the "around the world" parts of the discussion -- I simply don't have enough information to speak for anything other than western culture. Do I think we live in a "rape culture"? No. Do I think that there are small subsets of the population that participate in a culture of sexual assault, including rape? Yes. But to compare it to another flame-worthy topic, it's similar in scope (if not in magnitude - it is much more prevalent) to mass shootings. Does it happen? Obviously. Is it horrible? Yes. Should it be a goal for society to minimize it as much as possible? Yes. Is it a fundamental characteristic of our culture as a whole? In my experience, no.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think rape culture is a strong phrase intended to excite, and I think it definitely doesn't get across the message it is intended to.. When you're trying to work WITH someone (i.e. men) you don't go around immediately accusing them of rape and put them on the defense. If someone told me they thought I was part of a rape culture I'd tell them they don't fucking know me and gtfo my nuts. It's a great way to shut someone down.
    As a man, this is largely how I experience the term. I forced myself to read the description linked above, and my reactions varied from being saddened at the truths, and offended at the presumptions. The very first segment in particular, flat-out states that any man can be a rapist, and that "nice guys rape, and they do it often". Perhaps that's a statement that somewhere, sometime, will help prevent an attack. But insofar as it's intended to get people to join in a movement to change things, it's just flat out incendiary, and is going to hurt more than it helps.

I'm having a hard time putting the rest of my thoughts on the issue into words, so I think I'll just stop there for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The concept of rape culture used by feminists is extremely narrow and seriously misses the bigger picture, it's framed in a mostly heterosexual male perpetrator on female victim thing.

A lot of rapist also happen to be psychopaths and these kind of people can give a shit about somebody's rights because they are inherently selfish and lack empathy, they just don't care, some are almost evil personified, they are social predators. That doesn't mean most psychopaths are rapist/murderers/serial killers but they do make up the majority of those populations(accounting for at least half of all violent crimes compared to their very small numbers).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Something else that may be of interest to the thread:

Rapists Explain Themselves On Reddit And We Should Listen

/ trigger warning, obviously, though maybe this entire thread should have that label on it
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I think this whole feminism business and its jargons are about a specific part of abuse that happens in unhealthy societies.

Types of Violence and Abuse | Violence Prevention Initiative

So in a society where men is said to objectify women and to rationalize forcing\coercing women into sex, one would expect to find other kinds of abuse perpetrated by both genders.

So what I am against is cherrypicking out of this whole culture of abuse a specific part that casts one gender as the victim and the other as the offender. I think this is due to physical offenses being more evident and visible to others and people's ignorance about other kinds of abuses and downplaying their impact on an individual's psyche.

So in a culture or society where impulsivity, violence and abuse is allowed to prevail, there will be all kinds of abuse including physical abuse like rape perpetrated by both genders.

In such an unhealthy culture, men will be more focused on physical and sexual abuse and be able to get away with raping (unconsentful sex) women due to those unhealthy dynamics, and women, having a relatively weaker body, will not be able commit physical abuses or offenses but will focus on non-pysical offenses such as emotional and verbal abuse aimed to maim others non-physically but psychologically.

I don't think anyone can clearly say which one originates from the other. So I am against emphasizing one aspect of this at the expense of others.

This rape culture exists in my country and I think it varies from society to society. I think that culture is more prevalent and goes unpunished in societies where people are impulsive (i.e. they have amplified id based drives to seek out pleasure and gratification against norms and rules) and that impulsivity is allowed to go unchecked.

Turning back to MBTI, I think this would mean a society where a majority of its members are Ne/Se doms auxes or the culture expects its members to act like Ne/Se doms or auxes.

I think the feminist movement is being blinded by its hurt and cannot see that it is wrong to broadly categorize an entire gender as sex offenders and neglect abuses committed by members of the other gender who share similar pathologies.

So yes, there's something as rape culture BUT there's also something as mind-fuck culture where women with unhealthy pathologies try to mind-fuck men and emotionally abuse and scar them like saying things like be a man, man-up etc. Some of these women unknowingly seem to put this expectation and gender role on men that men should be emotionless, non-empathic, strong and unyielding on the outside.

So long story short, abuse of all kinds WILL propagate more abuse and violence. So the root cause of all these is ABUSE and people with psychological make-ups that have a propensity for ABUSE.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Turning back to MBTI, I think this would mean a society where a majority of its members are Ne/Se doms auxes or the culture expects its members to act like Ne/Se doms or auxes.
    What?!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Slightly off topic -- but military is not, and should not be the builders of civilization. Their job is kill the enemy. That is their primary occupation - they should excel at it, and be encouraged to hone their skills in that department over anything else that they do. Not sure who started that whole bullshit that every grunt is a knight in shining armor straight out of Disney cartoon - but is counterproductive to everyone, military and civilians.

I am pretty sure that the incidents of rape in the military are higher than that in the general population, which, considering the macho testosterone lifestyle there, is not at all surprising. I'm not condoning it, of course, just stating the facts of life.
    I don't disagree with anything said here. They're not how civilians ought to be acting. But at the same time, they're suppose to be held to standards civilians just are not too. If there is such a blatant mentality of military men towards women that incidences of sexual assault are so high that even civilians are getting involved to try and stop it within the ranks? There is clearly something they're taking from it all, some sort of hive mind where something just goes drastically wrong. And to think that civilians are immune to this is ... a bit absurd, because despite the military being a giant hive mind, they aren't that far away from their civilian counterparts in many aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'm going to skip on the "around the world" parts of the discussion -- I simply don't have enough information to speak for anything other than western culture.
    This is how I feel too. I cannot speak for another culture--I'd be far too ethnocentric about it, and it just doesn't serve the purpose here. I think there are plenty of cultures that absolutely condone and support rape and the abuse of women, and they're absolutely open about it. That, however, is not the western society as a whole. So I'll only speak to western society.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP

I think the "we should teach men not to rape, rather than women not to be raped" argument is idealistic, no matter how ugly that truth is. I agree with the sentiment, but I have also warned female friends about behavioral patterns I foresaw as dangerous. I'm fairly sure I was right.

I think it's important to meet the problem where it is and practice prevention while we slowly change the populous's mindset. A friend of mine has devoted recent years to studying and sharing information about the sex industry (largely that participation is often non-consensual) and rape culture, which I applaud. I think signal-boosting ugly truths is a large part of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    I think the "we should teach men not to rape, rather than women not to be raped" argument is idealistic, no matter how ugly that truth is. I agree with the sentiment, but I have also warned female friends about behavioral patterns I foresaw as dangerous. I'm fairly sure I was right.

I think it's important to meet the problem where it is and practice prevention while we slowly change the populous's mindset. A friend of mine has devoted recent years to studying and sharing information about the sex industry (largely that participation is often non-consensual) and rape culture, which I applaud. I think signal-boosting ugly truths is a large part of the solution.
    What should the women be taught as to how to treat men?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    What should the women be taught as to how to treat men?
    Don't be a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Don't be a bitch.
    Define bitch.