User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 24323334353644 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Black people knew they needed white people on their side too to break down racism. Feminists give the impression we'd be better off without them. While that's not true at all, that's the message I frequently hear from men. And I don't find it a logical stretch with the current sensationalist attitude.
    This is a rather narrow and pejorative definition of feminism. The people I know who would consider themselves feminists - men and women - do not understand things this way. They are indeed more like those whites working against racism. If men react more negatively as a group in addressing sexism than whites did/do in addressing racism, that might say more about men than about the problem at hand, or the target group.

Quote Originally Posted by Society View Post
    but no matter how i turn it in my head, this war against an all encompassing abstract concept of rape culture still seems like the movement to add a "why the new funny feelings you'll experience are the root cause of all social ills that are indirectly raping your mother" companion book to my son's future sex ed class.
    Rape, sexual harrassment, and gender discrimination all have their root in the idea that it's OK to have a double standard where men and women are concerned. When it comes to women, different rules apply. These can be used to justify violence and oppression, or paternalistic protections imposed out of genuine if misguided caring. Either way, it is pervasive, often unconscious, and very hard to get people to acknowledge, much less correct.

This doesn't mean men are bad, as a group, or individually. In fact, women are often just as guilty of the basic underlying thinking and assumptions. Rather than point fingers and place blame, better for everyone to open our eyes to the many ways, small and large, these assumptions shape our daily interactions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is a rather narrow and pejorative definition of feminism. The people I know who would consider themselves feminists - men and women - do not understand things this way. They are indeed more like those whites working against racism. If men react more negatively as a group in addressing sexism than whites did/do in addressing racism, that might say more about men than about the problem at hand, or the target group..
    This is where I see the issue though. I don't know many men who would identify as feminist.. and it is because of political sensationalism and aggressive, angry, resentful attitudes that create that disparity. I've worked with hundreds and hundreds of men from many walks of life. It's a gift and a curse of being in the military.. and I know very few who would openly say they were feminist.. The most I ever got was "I agree with some of the things they say."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is where I see the issue though. I don't know many men who would identify as feminist.. and it is because of political sensationalism and aggressive, angry, resentful attitudes that create that disparity. I've worked with hundreds and hundreds of men from many walks of life. It's a gift and a curse of being in the military.. and I know very few who would openly say they were feminist.. The most I ever got was "I agree with some of the things they say."
    Sure - if you ask a man "are you a feminist" he will probably say no. If you provide a definition of feminism and ask whether he agrees with it and even tries to live by it, he is much more likely to say yes. Contents over packaging.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I used to self label as a feminist back in my college days, but I'm a male INFP , does that even count? I've since come around
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Sure - if you ask a man "are you a feminist" he will probably say no. If you provide a definition of feminism and ask whether he agrees with it and even tries to live by it, he is much more likely to say yes. Contents over packaging.
    I agree with this descriptive. Rape culture is a form of packaging.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I agree with this descriptive. Rape culture is a form of packaging.
    "Rape culture" is just a label, and like many labels, it vastly oversimplifies what it has been stuck on. That doesn't change the nature of what is inside the package.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Funny how that works out. Most people (simple majority) when you ask them if they are liberal or conservative on social issues and present some examples, will say they are liberal. When you ask them if they are liberal or conservative on fiscal issues and the role of government, most will say they are conservative.

Social Liberal/Fiscal & Government Conservative

This is the prototypical position of most libertarians, very "American" yet few label as such.
    Last edited by SpankyMcFly; 06-09-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: changed "nearly all" to "most"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

"Rape culture" is just a label, and like many labels, it vastly oversimplifies what it has been stuck on. That doesn't change the nature of what is inside the package.
    Rape Culture is to Rape as Adolescent Inner City Murder is to Murder, a part of the contents.

How an issue is framed and the verbiage used is important: Framing (social sciences) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rape is about power rather than sex. So rape culture is the culture of power.

So rape is part of the power of money, the power of the military, the power of religion, the power of ideology, and the power of men.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Rape Culture is to Rape as Adolescent Inner City Murder is to Murder, a part of the contents.

How an issue is framed and the verbiage used is important: Framing (social sciences) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No. Rape culture is to rape what a culture of violence would be to murder. The two are related, in that rape is a subset of all violence, just as misogyny is a subset of all bigotry/hatred/bias.

Verbiage and framing of issues has become important mainly because too many people are too lazy to look critically at the issue itself.