User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 123451353 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I have my reservations as to whether this thread can actually be of any meaningful use, as there is no largely accepted definition of what exactly a rape culture entails.

All arguing about what must happen to definitively illustrate the presence of a rape culture in every last person's mind...yes, I do believe that rape culture exists. One (perhaps all-too-often overlooked) example (easily researched on wikipedia *cue groans of staunch academics*) of this is that in most western countries, marital rape was not outlawed until starting in the 1960s (unless you count the soviet bloc), and some, such as Ireland and Finland, did not pass such laws until the 1990s or later (see: Liechtenstein). Wikipedia also notes a 2010 study that indicated that the Finns were/ are particularly notorious for victim blaming, with 74C% of Finns blaming provocative behavior of women for violence against women.

Other important info I just found: 1 out of six American women experience attempted rape or completed rape in their lifetime. This is compared to 1 out of 33 men. If you wish to learn more from the source where I found this information, go to Who are the Victims? | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

That's about all I have to offer as far as material that is easily compiled into one post goes, for the moment. However, for a particularly damning portrait of intimate partner violence against women in the United States goes, I recommend viewing the PDF on this site: Costs of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women in the United States|Publications|Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You really need perspective, try just traveling in some third world countries as a woman alone.
    She has been to Egypt and has talked about seeing men and even boys who did not hesitate to grope women. She also knows Arabic.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have talked to a lot of feminists, none of them have ever been raped and none of their friends have been, either. They have just heard or read somewhere, some place, some girl was raped. Guess what, that is always going to happen. But it is far from rampant.

I live in New Zealand and officially we have the third highest incidence of rape in the world...at the same time as being one of the world's five most peaceful countries. A bit of a logical disconnect, don;t you agree? This is why I am so cynical about rape statistics and reporting in general.

You really need perspective, try just traveling in some third world countries as a woman alone.
    I have, and it's horrible. Like SD45T-2 said, I lived in Egypt for eight weeks. I couldn't go anywhere by myself, or in a group of women, without expecting to be verbally harassed and followed for several blocks -- by men of all ages and sometimes by schoolboys, with their mothers standing by and doing nothing. A guy got three inches away from me and whispered sexual things in my ear on a street corner, once. Some of my female friends were groped repeatedly.

However, your logic is flawed here, in that, like I said before, saying that this is horrible doesn't negate what happens in the first world. Rape and harassment are not okay in any form, no matter where you are -- no matter how severe.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Also, it is something rarely talked about. For good reason, too. It's a survival strategy. If the military is any reflection of society, it being a mere fraction of the American population.. I have never talked to a single female in the military that was not at least sexually harassed to the point of being highly uncomfortable at their work environment around a particular male. I'm not talking a simple cat-call, or a single joke. I mean serious enough that they are grated by the issue constantly. Every single one. There was no one left behind on that statistic. And these guys are suppose to be the upstanding 'best of the best' professionals that civilians look at with admiration many times.
    Slightly off topic -- but military is not, and should not be the builders of civilization. Their job is kill the enemy. That is their primary occupation - they should excel at it, and be encouraged to hone their skills in that department over anything else that they do. Not sure who started that whole bullshit that every grunt is a knight in shining armor straight out of Disney cartoon - but is counterproductive to everyone, military and civilians.

I am pretty sure that the incidents of rape in the military are higher than that in the general population, which, considering the macho testosterone lifestyle there, is not at all surprising. I'm not condoning it, of course, just stating the facts of life.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yes or no?
    EDIT: Shit, meant to make a poll. Could a mod do that for me? Thanks.
    in the United States: no
    in Saudi Arabia: absolutely
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

No, but if you change it to 'sexual harassment culture' I might agree.
    Last edited by Rasofy; 05-30-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: oops, wrong word

Am I being asked to answer the question with my American hat on or my Indian hat on? I think it exists in both cases but I'd be kidding if I didn't say the crimes against women tolerated in India weren't far worse.

My perspective is probably going to be gleefully seized by feminist-hating blowhards here for the purpose of pointing out to Western women that the problem they see is all in their heads, because OMG third world countries, you sheltered little fools. I just want to put it on record that that's not MY intent but I have to get this rant out of me regardless.

In my present context, yes, rape culture totally exists and routinely manifests itself in ways that would be chilling to Western audiences. Three days ago, two teenaged sisters (14 and 15) were gang raped and than hanged from a mango tree. The village woke up to the sight of their bodies swaying in the wind.

There's a law in India that prevents the identity of rape victims from being revealed in the public domain because of the attendant shame that comes from being raped. Why am I not surprised that the same courtesy was not extended to poor, low caste women? Because some douchebag decided to take pictures of their corpses and splay it all over social and electronic media. And their well meaning consumers dutifully shared them, too.

Lesson of the week: Nonconsensual consumption of women's bodies never ends. Not even in death. And we're all participating in it.

Yeah fucking right, rape culture doesn't exist.
    Last edited by 011235813; 06-06-2014 at 10:18 PM.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    No, but if you change it to 'sexual harassment culture' I might agree.
    This is how I see it. Though I would definitely agree if it's described at that.

In some countries it fits perfectly. As in, their culture that as a whole, does not take issue with rape, and or does almost nothing to stop it, or remove the source of why it occurs. It's a REALLY dangerously bad problem in some places, as @senza tema pointed out. I'm the only american student in my research group, and half of the students are from India. Some of the stories they have told me are horrifying (and they fill me in on news from their country from time to time). It absolutely exists there, and anyone who disagrees is well... I don't know how they couldn't. It's not the only problem. So yes, rape culture is a global problem, but that doesn't mean it is everywhere.

I take issue with the term "rape culture" in other countries though (such as the US). I feel it's not an apt description, and is used by people who are pissed off. Rightfully so, but I don't take well to things that smell of emotional pleading or guilting. When people start shouting "YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" I just turn off and ignore the person. I ain't got the time nor patience for that kind of BS behavior. I've had a few people at my grad school (never happened at undergrad though) actually get visibly mad at me because I said I didn't want to engage in a conversation about rape culture. Saying things akin to "well, you're part of the problem then!". You know, people have limits to the number of causes they can actively care about. Just because I don't want to talk about it, or get annoyed when other people go on and on about it, doesn't mean that I don't want things to get better. It's like, you can't win unless you throw all your weight at it. Nope, I am not having that.

Which, is why I just stay quiet on these discussions a lot of the time. People get too emotional, too huffy, too accuseatory, and it's REALLY effing annyoing. I want to shout STFU to all of them, but obviously I don't. I'll just get annoyed and not help, you guys go fix it, I'm gonna go help other things.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Am I being asked to answer the question with my American hat on or my Indian hat on? I think it exists in both cases but I'd be kidding if I didn't say the crimes against women tolerated in India weren't far worse.

My perspective is probably going to be gleefully seized by feminist-hating blowhards here for the purpose of pointing out to Western women that the problem they see is all in their heads, because OMG third world countries, you sheltered little fools. I just want to put it on record that that's not MY intent but I have to get this rant out of me regardless.

In my present context, yes, rape culture totally exists and routinely manifests itself in ways that would be chilling to Western audiences. Three days ago, two teenaged sisters (14 and 15) were gang raped and than hanged from a mango tree. The village woke up to the sight of their bodies swaying in the wind.

There's a law in India that prevents the identity of rape victims from being revealed in the public domain because of the attendant shame that comes from being raped. Why am I not surprised that the same courtesy was not extended to poor, low caste women? Because some douchebag decided to take pictures of their corpses and splay it all over social and electronic media. And their well meaning consumer dutifully shared them too.

Lesson of the week: Nonconsensual consumption of women's bodies never ends. Not even in death. And we're all participating in it.

Yeah fucking right, rape culture doesn't exist.
    God, that's just... I want to cry.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    In some countries it fits perfectly. As in, their culture that as a whole, does not take issue with rape, and or does almost nothing to stop it, or remove the source of why it occurs. It's a REALLY dangerously bad problem in some places, as @senza tema pointed out. I'm the only american student in my research group, and half of the students are from India. Some of the stories they have told me are horrifying (and they fill me in on news from their country from time to time). It absolutely exists there, and anyone who disagrees is well... I don't know how they couldn't. It's not the only problem. So yes, rape culture is a global problem, but that doesn't mean it is everywhere.

I take issue with the term "rape culture" in other countries though (such as the US). I feel it's not an apt description, and is used by people who are pissed off. Rightfully so, but I don't take well to things that smell of emotional pleading or guilting. When people start shouting "YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" I just turn off and ignore the person. I ain't got the time nor patience for that kind of BS behavior. I've had a few people at my grad school (never happened at undergrad though) actually get visibly mad at me because I said I didn't want to engage in a conversation about rape culture. Saying things akin to "well, you're part of the problem then!". You know, people have limits to the number of causes they can actively care about. Just because I don't want to talk about it, or get annoyed when other people go on and on about it, doesn't mean that I don't want things to get better. It's like, you can't win unless you throw all your weight at it. Nope, I am not having that.

Which, is why I just stay quiet on these discussions a lot of the time. People get too emotional, too huffy, too accuseatory, and it's REALLY effing annyoing. I want to shout STFU to all of them, but obviously I don't. I'll just get annoyed and not help, you guys go fix it, I'm gonna go help other things.
    Exactly as I see it.

I'm not a big fan of feminism myself, but I hope no one makes senza feel bad for opening up, as that would be pretty douchey.