User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 12341252 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The feeling of dread I get when I think about how threads like this are going to go down < the feeling of relief I have right now that, at least ten posts in, it's mostly a respectful conversation even though not everyone agrees.

Edit: Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have talked to a lot of feminists, none of them have ever been raped and none of their friends have been, either. They have just heard or read somewhere, some place, some girl was raped. Guess what, that is always going to happen. But it is far from rampant.

I live in New Zealand and officially we have the third highest incidence of rape in the world...at the same time as being one of the world's five most peaceful countries. A bit of a logical disconnect, don;t you agree? This is why I am so cynical about rape statistics and reporting in general.

You really need perspective.
    Sure. People are going to cough up a stigmatised past to a casual acquaintance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Sure. People are going to cough up a stigmatised past to a casual acquaintance.
    Well I can only act on the information I am given.

Well I can only act on the information I am given.
    Thanks for verifying my guess. Thought my post would lead you to admit it.

So, if a woman were to run around asking a bunch of casual acquaintance males if they have erectile dysfunction, even if the majority had it, do you suppose they'd tell her?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

So, if a woman were to run around asking a bunch of casual acquaintance males if they have erectile dysfunction, even if the majority had it, do you suppose they'd tell her?
    i'm not sure that it's helpful to compare erectile dysfunction with rape

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'm not sure that it's helpful to compare erectile dysfunction with rape
    They're both private and stigmatised issues. People aren't going to divulge confidential information to a casual acquaintance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Thanks for verifying my guess. Thought my post would lead you to admit it.

My first thought would be "why is she asking me this?". Someone with a brain doesn't ask these questions straight away, though I have to admit, I am often guilty of not caring about what the other person thinks if I don't think they'll be a part of my life.

In the conversations I mentioned, feminism and rape culture were brought up by the other party. I do not initiate conversations about these topics. One girl who I actually knew quite well made it her divine mission to "educate" me about feminism and women. lol. I also agree with @chana that comparing feminism to erectile dysfunction is pretty silly, one is a lot less personal than the other.

My first thought would be "why is she asking me this?". Someone with a brain doesn't ask these questions straight away, though I have to admit, I am often guilty of not caring about what the other person thinks if I don't think they'll be a part of my life.

In the conversations I mentioned, feminism and rape culture were brought up by the other party. I do not initiate conversations about these topics. One girl who I actually knew quite well made it her divine mission to "educate" me about feminism and women. lol. I also agree with @chana that comparing feminism to erectile dysfunction is pretty silly, one is a lot less personal than the other.
    Not feminism, rape. :facepalm:

MBTI
    yupp

it exists.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have talked to a lot of feminists, none of them have ever been raped and none of their friends have been, either. They have just heard or read somewhere, some place, some girl was raped. Guess what, that is always going to happen. But it is far from rampant. ...

You really need perspective, try just traveling in some third world countries as a woman alone.
    I think there are two important things to remember here.

The whole "there are starving children in Africa" thing doesn't give a business a right to put shitty ingredients in my food and slap a label on them that says it's good stuff. Likewise.. Just because other countries are worse than Western civilization, does not mean we ought not try to identify things within our own culture based on *our* standards. I am not going to use the Taliban's standards in any of my musings about my own country. Nor would I use Ugandan standards despite liking the country a lot. Uganda =/= America.

Also, it is something rarely talked about. For good reason, too. It's a survival strategy. If the military is any reflection of society, it being a mere fraction of the American population.. I have never talked to a single female in the military that was not at least sexually harassed to the point of being highly uncomfortable at their work environment around a particular male. I'm not talking a simple cat-call, or a single joke. I mean serious enough that they are grated by the issue constantly. Every single one. There was no one left behind on that statistic. And these guys are suppose to be the upstanding 'best of the best' professionals that civilians look at with admiration many times.

I think rape culture is a strong phrase intended to excite, and I think it definitely doesn't get across the message it is intended to.. When you're trying to work WITH someone (i.e. men) you don't go around immediately accusing them of rape and put them on the defense. If someone told me they thought I was part of a rape culture I'd tell them they don't fucking know me and gtfo my nuts. It's a great way to shut someone down. Feminists went entirely the wrong route. The point of the issue is to get something done.. and no man is going to admit that they participate in rapey behavior. You'd think, with as PC and 'educating' as the proponents and activists of the movement against this culture type are, that they'd be more PC about the way they address the issue. But no. It was immediately, "You men RAPE women, and if you don't you contribute to it with this." I'd like to have seen it as more of an anti-apathy movement. Because that's really what's at the heart of it all--apathy. People stopped caring about total strangers. It isn't just seen in the men vs women thing, or the 'rape culture' thing, it's seen everywhere..

My personal opinion on the issue at this the stuff identified by this movement is a small piece of a bigger picture of apathy and selfishness.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge