User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe rape culture exists?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 72.31%
  • No

18 27.69%
First 2101112131422 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    You know yourself better than I do.
    naturally. I also know passive aggression when I see it

Edit:

@OP
    anyway :P
    I define rape culture as
    - a society which encourages or justifies rape
    - a society which blames the victim when he/she is raped
    - a society which dismisses rape accusations (this is not the same thing as failing to punish them, which is often problematic due to it being difficult to prove. )

there is a big difference in my mind between "society justifies rape" and "society does not do enough to prevent or punish rape". the latter is a more reasonable assessment of the culture of the United States (and this goes for rape of both genders), but supporting more effective measures of combating rape does not mean a rape culture is present.
    @Ginkgo
    you did make a good point about crime syndicates, so I think it would be best to point out that there is a difference between certain corners of society encouraging rape (crime syndicates always have an always will have a rape culture. in fact, any hope of idealistic reform within such a culture is too futile to be even worthy of discussion) and assuming that the views of said
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    naturally. I also know passive aggression when I see it
    I'm not being passive aggressive. This is not the first time you've accused me of being passive aggressive. I responded to you directly and evaluated thoughts you've shared in other threads with the utmost honesty.

Ginkgo

@Elfboy thanks for staying on-topic.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

If a guy starts dragging you to the bushes, stab that motherfucker in the throat.
    My point is that "teaching men not to rape" may be ideal as a long-term solution, but alot of women (and men) are going to get raped while we wait for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Female self-defense classes stress "stern lectures" to potential rapists. Very effective.
    The stern lectures, or more accurately pointed telling-off, is most effective with the rapists you know. The key is you can't wait until someone is on top of you in a locked room to do it. You object as soon as your boundaries are crossed, which assumes (1) you know what/where your boundaries are; and (2) your judgment isn't clouded by alcohol, drugs, or even a compulsion to be polite and not rock the boat. It's a bit like those communities that crack down on minor crimes like littering and graffiti, and as a result have little serious crime. Criminal elements know from the start that they will be dealt with swiftly and surely, and move on.

Yes, ju-jitsu style self-defense is often recommended, and can be very effective. See, for instance, the Gracie System. They also have several videos on youtube. They do put alot of emphasis on ground fighting, based on the assumption that a woman attacked by a man will end up on the ground most of the time. (In my karate group, we try to avoid ever getting put on the ground; my colleague in ju-jitsu will try to get her opponent on the ground, because she's trained to handle it.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My point is that "teaching men not to rape" may be ideal as a long-term solution, but alot of women (and men) are going to get raped while we wait for that to happen.
    Oh, I'm not saying that it's a good short-term solution. Women (and men) should definitely be wary of potential dangers out there too. I'm just saying that a part of the reason I believe rape culture exists today is because people still place the blame on the victims for their clothes, physiological arousal, leading the offender on, etc rather than place the blame on the person who committed the actual crime.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

LadyLazarus

GoooodGOOOD is such a great username; because you don't know if he's actually good or if he's being satirical or ironic or maybe he's portraying himself as good only to serve as distraction from his truly evil nature.Perhaps he is doing it to makes us think about what it means to be good; am I good? Ehhh. Are you good? Maybe; as long as you have never OD-ed on potassium tablets you are clearly not evil at least.

This man or woman or moderately literate kangaroo with Wi-Fi is my soulmate and I plan to confiscate the neighbor's poodle in order to prove it.

Anyway; in regards to the actual thread; I do believe there is such a thing, but I am not exactly sure as to the specifics of why(I don't want to explain!).

Ginkgo

@Elfboy, I'm referring to this post you made in @greenfairys thread about rape culture:

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    just for the hell of it, I'm going to be really controversial for a moment
    - I know many people, some male, some female, who I feel deserve to get raped (even if I have no desire to do it myself). if it traumatized them and got them to shut hell up, good, cuz that's more important to me than their mental health
    - if you withdraw consent in the middle of sex, it doesn't mean you deserve to be raped, but it does make you an asshole (though I'll extend this to people who sexually tease in general). it was definitely wrong that they got raped, but, in this instance specifically, I don't have to have sympathy for them.
    - rape is a sadistic, violent crime, not a sexual crime. the goal is the pain, humiliation and suffering of the victim (comparing it to being a peeping tom was fucking retarded).
    - I make rape jokes all the time. it's not because I don't know how horrible it is, it's because I know how fucked up it is (no pun intended). that's what makes it funny
    - while i have no desire to rape anyone (hell, I don't even like the concept of rough sex. the notion offends me), I have no problem with using the threat of rape to intimidate someone (of course, they have to deserve it. like, if someone is being a bully, I can use it to become a much scarier boogeyman than they are willing to be) and have done so many times in the past to combat gay-bashing and bullying unrelated to my sexuality.
    - this article is idealistic as fuck. there will always be slums, red light districts and shady ass mofos who would not bat an eye at the concept of raping someone, because these people are sociopaths, not people who bought into some social norm that it's okay to rape people.

Here you actively condone rape. Culture starts on an individual level, formed by learned behaviors, experiences, and shared ideas. To say that it only factors in on a broad, societal level leaves no room for any outliers to be accountable for their beliefs or behaviors. It's impractical in that virtually no society is that homogeneous about such a stigmatized activity. (After all, how many rape victims among that society would go about espousing a pro-rape position?). Honestly, if you're going to operate on such a slapdash definition of rape culture, you may as well say "No" in general, not just for the U.S.

I still stand by my original position and definition and disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    What do you notice as signs of violent nature in men?
    Failure to respect boundaries - same as it would be with women. It may be someone a woman knows: a coworker, neighbor, brother's friend, etc. The familiarity causes her to want to trust him to the point of overriding the evidence of her own senses, and giving him too much benefit of the doubt, until it is too late. Boundary crossing can be standing a bit too close; touching a bit too much, or in the wrong place; placing himself between her and the exit, seeming to literally back her into a corner; even discussion that is more personal, sexual, or disrespectful than usual.
    I've been on the receiving end of this kind of behaviour, in the physical coercion sense by male ESTPs and in the sexual coercion sense by a female ESxP. I think Se-doms have a habit of disregarding physical boundaries as well as not caring about the distress signals given by others. I think they see distress signals as a sign of submission and push on further rather than disengaging. It manifests itself in the ESxP type as lack of Fe or low Fe.

Women are often raised to be polite and accommodating, to avoid conflict, to be peacemakers, to put the other person first. Better for them to know their own boundaries and place at least equal emphasis on their own comfort. Stepping away and saying, "Hey, buddy - that's just a bit too close", or "Sorry, but you don't get to touch me that way" really isn't that rude, but makes the point. Someone with truly friendly intentions will be embarrassed, back off, and probably even apologize. Someone who doesn't, but instead persists and insists, has crossed the line into threatening behavior, and should be dealt with accordingly.
    There are men that fit that overall women description you gave in the bolded though they do not represent a majority of the males. I, for instance, am having problems related to my lack of physical aggression and am also considering learning some kind of self defense technique.

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Do you wonen experience any differences in the way you look at or interact with men when horny? If yes how? Do ypu start treating them as sex(ual) objects?
    No, actually. If that happens, it makes me miss my SO and want to be with him.
    Interesting. I've read some studies that mention women rating men high in testosterone (Se-doms?) higher during their ovulation period than during their non-ovulation period.

So I'd expect women to start noticing certain members of the male sex more for the purposes of copulation during their ovulation period. I don't have an SO at the moment so I cannot compare that but if I go a week without satisfying my libido, it goes into some kind of overdrive and I start noticing more (certain type of) women that I'd like to have sex with. I am usually a soft spoken person but I've noticed that some of those times my voice starts to get a lower pitch and becomes more gutteral.

I also start giving intense gazes to women around that I like. I was wondering if the same thing happens with women, not once a week perhaps but like a week per months or something.

I'd also welcome feedback about that intense (creepy?) gaze that men give to women. Is there any time at all it doesn't irritate women, like if the women is also horny at the same time and finds the guy attractive? Do women give that kind of gazes to men at all? Is it a kind of mating signal?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Rape Culture is a Feminist narrative, an integral part of their collective and perpetual victimhood that focuses on the male aggressor and female victim while discounting male on male (prison rapes especially), female on female (homosexual couples, which wasn't even considered rape until recently) or the uncommon female on male.

Rape has always been around and perpetrators have always suffered the consequences (when caught), sometimes with their life. Lynchings, "special" attention in the pen etc. The premise that "our" society accepts this type of behavior is ludicrous. We dislike murders too right? Why does this continue!?" Clearly we live in a murder culture as well.

The reality: incidents of rape have gone down every single year for the past 20+ years

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-1
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

What I also notice is a lack of empathy towards female experiences that men rarely have an equivalent of. Things are still framed & judged in the context of the male experience, and I think the taste of that in return (having something framed & judged from a different experience) is not something men are used to & many resist adapting.
    I think men could liken women forced into sex to men being forced to go thru a prostate exam against their will, which many men don't eant to go thru despite their health concerns require them to.