First 6789 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    If there is a genetic basis to race and ethnicity, and ethnic groups have lived in an area for a long time uninterrupted (around a thousand years or more probably), they deserve the title of indigenous, because they will have created the main culture associated with that country. If you change the genetic composition of the country's inhabitants, the culture will change, too.
    How long has your country existed as a political entity? I'm surprised you also live somewhere without any variation in dialect. Is there genetic variation to account for the variation in language, a cultural phenomenon?

If there is no variation in dialect, it must be very small. Are you from San Marino?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

If there is a genetic basis to race and ethnicity, and ethnic groups have lived in an area for a long time uninterrupted (around a thousand years or more probably), they deserve the title of indigenous, because they will have created the main culture associated with that country. If you change the genetic composition of the country's inhabitants, the culture will change, too.
    The problem is you're permenantly linking DNA lineages and culture, and they do not have to be mixed. A completely prime example of this is the USA. It's as cosmopolitan as you can get, and quite quickly it developed a culture of its own. Cultures can shift and change when new individuals are brought in, but it's because of their culture, not their DNA, the latter is simply incidental.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    He doesn't really know how long his genetic line has even been in that particular land, I suspect. I really only know for certain with mine only 4 generations, and sometimes not even then. Perhaps he knows more, but I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't even know 1000 years ago.
    I don't have full records I can access before around 1750. My grandfather has done some research, building on what his father did, trying to trace family history back to around 1000AD and even earlier but it is obviously very difficult to find a direct father to son line unless you are royalty. Though he is quite sure with one branch of the family...however if I told you you would never believe me without evidence, which I of course don't have with me.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't have full records I can access before around 1750. My grandfather has done some research, building on what his father did, trying to trace family history back to around 1000AD and even earlier but it is obviously very difficult to find a direct father to son line unless you are royalty. Though he is quite sure with one branch of the family...however if I told you you would never believe me without evidence, which I of course don't have with me.
    I believe you, but you also do not know your ancestors did not come from a neighboring country to flee the Black Plague or something like that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The problem is you're permenantly linking DNA lineages and culture, and they do not have to be mixed. A completely prime example of this is the USA. It's as cosmopolitan as you can get, and quite quickly it developed a culture of its own. Cultures can shift and change when new individuals are brought in, but it's because of their culture, not their DNA, the latter is simply incidental.
    The founding culture of the USA is actually English. Its political system and set of values was not invented there.

American culture is different because the ethnic groups that mixed in America brought various cultures and these then combined in various ways into something different. None of what you have said invalidates my point. I should also mention that the USA wasn't actually very cosmopolitan until about 1880. For the almost all of first century of "American" history, there were just white Protestants from northwestern Europe and their black slaves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I believe you, but you also do not know your ancestors did not come from a neighboring country to flee the Black Plague or something like that.
    Apparently they fled being burnt at the stake by Catholics...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Apparently they fled being burnt at the stake by Catholics.
    Why don't you go back to where you came from? The reformation wasn't 1000 years ago. According to your own reasoning, you should. Unless you just mean by culture "Europe" which is really vague, and isn't really a unified culture.

Visit my Johari:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Why don't you go back to where you came from? The reformation wasn't 1000 years ago.
    That becomes problematic when your family apparently come from England, Scotland, France and Germany.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

That becomes problematic when your family apparently come from England, Scotland, France and Germany.

Visit my Johari:

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

The founding culture of the USA is actually English. Its political system and set of values was not invented there.

American culture is different because the ethnic groups that mixed in America brought various cultures and these then combined in various ways into something different. None of what you have said invalidates my point. I should also mention that the USA wasn't actually very cosmopolitan until about 1880. For the almost all of first century of "American" history, there were just white Protestants from northwestern Europe and their black slaves.
    there were already cultures existing, just the one acknowledged in the eyes of england was as you said, now if you want to mix your opinion in, which you did, an present it as fact, i would say what you said. go argue with some native americans.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee