First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    From the Telegraph:

Are we all racist now?

As a survey of British social attitudes reveals a shocking upturn in prejudice, Allison Pearson argues that the political elite’s desire to advance multiculturalism with mass immigration has backfired

An excerpt...

I think this parallels whats going on in the US.

Thoughts?
    I'm always a little uneasy with self report servays. To me, the idea of considering yourself to be a racist is rather strange. As I understand it, a prejudice is basically a mistaken belief, so if you believe yourself to be mistaken, why do you still believe it? I'm sure Hitler would have thought of himself as enlightened rather than racist. I'm wondering if the people who called themselves racist are using the word in the same way I am, and if they're not, what does this report mean?
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    So why is racial conflict the root cause, and not cultural conflict?

Assuming the economy and other things increasing racial tensions wasn't a factor, would white and black people living in the same area, sharing and living by the same cultural values, still fight each other for dominance?
    Racial difference leads to cultural difference, the two are connected to each other.

To go near to achieving this you would need extremely authoritarian government that strongly discouraged any identity unrelated to the state. Some form of communism. The problem with this is that the economy quickly stagnates in a communist society. It is a temporary solution to the issue, as nearly a century in experimenting with communism has shown. I am also sure that you wouldn't enjoy living in such a country any more than I would, the Soviet Union was more repressive artistically and intellectually than any other country I can think of, for a very long time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    "Racism" as a word wasn't around until the 1920s.

You won't find the word in any 19th century dictionaries.
    Social Darwinism as distinct from Natural Selection has been around since the middle of the 19th century.

Social Darwinism gave rise to economic exploitation by the Robber Barons in the USA, and gave rise to a Social Darwin theory of race leading to Eugenics, first in the USA, then in Europe.

And interestingly Social Darwinism gave rise to Christian Fundamentalism for the first time in the USA.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    From the Telegraph:

Are we all racist now?

As a survey of British social attitudes reveals a shocking upturn in prejudice, Allison Pearson argues that the political elite’s desire to advance multiculturalism with mass immigration has backfired

An excerpt...

I think this parallels whats going on in the US.

Thoughts?
    Is this what I think it is? You want to excuse racism now?
    There exists only two kinds of people:

1. The people who are politically correct (read:the non-racists)
    2. The people who are not politically correct (read: the racists).

It is possible to adopt non-racist terms.
    Say after me: African American spirituals. See? It is not so hard at all.
    You can learn it. The Italians did. Forza.

Old people are able to leave out racially offensive epithets. If they want to.
    Such epithets are an offence to African Americans. And they know it.

The N word pertains to colour only.
    If you are not a racist, you do not see colour.
    What you do not see, you do not mention.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Is this what I think it is? You want to excuse racism now?
    There exists only two kinds of people:

1. The people who are politically correct (read:the non-racists)
    2. The people who are not politically correct (read: the racists).

It is possible to adopt non-racist terms.
    Say after me: African American spirituals. See? It is not so hard at all.
    You can learn it. The Italians did. Forza.

Old people are able to leave out racially offensive epithets. If they want to.
    Such epithets are an offence to African Americans. And they know it.

The N word pertains to colour only.
    If you are not a racist, you do not see colour.
    What you do not see, you do not mention.
    So thers only two options?

The problem with this is that its an attempt to hang up labels, poltcally correct labels and turn things into an "us vs them" scenario.

I think the article in the OP was simply saying that its possible to have mixed feelings about immirgation and seeing it as a more complex issue than the policially correct types make it out to be(either you want all immgirants from all countries regardless of their background or you're a Nazi *trollface*"). This isnt the same thing as being racist or xenophobic, simply that there are shades of grey.

LadyLazarus

Well, I've always been racist, especially towards my own race(I'm 9/12 Chupacabra, if you must know.[and if you must know, you're probably a racist tbh, 'cause why the fuck you asking huh, are you going to give me a speeding ticket you crooked metaphorical cop asking me for my cabras{I have CHILDREN ya sicko!}])

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I'm pretty much an equal opportunity hater. I just dislike loud, obnoxious, zealous, ignorant people.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    So thers only two options?

The problem with this is that its an attempt to hang up labels, poltcally correct labels and turn things into an "us vs them" scenario.

I think the article in the OP was simply saying that its possible to have mixed feelings about immirgation and seeing it as a more complex issue than the policially correct types make it out to be(either you want all immgirants from all countries regardless of their background or you're a Nazi *trollface*"). This isnt the same thing as being racist or xenophobic, simply that there are shades of grey.
    Countless chauvinist male gangs do not only treat white girls like chewing gum thrown in the street. They treat all girls like chewing gum thrown in the street. But the author of the miserable article could not resist using the word white! And there his cover was blown!

Our planet has come rather small lately, don't you think? Wake up to the realities of the modern world. Immigration is an asset. It must not and cannot be halted. Globalism is here to stay.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Countless chauvinist male gangs do not only treat white girls like chewing gum thrown in the street. They treat all girls like chewing gum thrown in the street. But the author of the miserable article could not resist using the word white! And there his cover was blown!
    By golly you're right:

Disgusted at countless male, Muslim grooming gangs treating vulnerable white girls like “chewing gum thrown in the street”? Racist!
    Very interesting that the author phrased it like this.

Also: my mom would be the first to tell you that her grandkids have opened her eyes to a lot of ways her upbringing reinforced prejudice, and she appreciates it.

FigerPuppet

In the case of Telegraph readers - yes.