User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Science denial: Exclusive to conservatives?

The prevailing view in the US is that it's only conservatives who deny science, but is this actually the case? This is a good video on the subject.

This helps to explain why I have a problem with both conservatives (creationism) and liberals (feminism/social justice ideology). No concept, no idea...nothing should be sacred.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Interesting video.

The guy being interviewed(Jonathan Haidt) is the one argueing about both conservatives and liberals denying scientific evidence. The interviewer then goes on about how science is like a religion, in that scientists are taught to believe in alot of the stuff that is accepted as fact, but Haidt says that science does have a self-correcting mechanism of refuting past evidence that religion does not. They also have a disagreement about whether or not one can be scientific about the object of one's love, Haidt says its not.

This issue is rather complicated(about whether it is possible to be objective about the object of one's love), though really, its plain to me that liberals are just as unwilling to look at evidence than cosnervatives, generally speaking. This is less because of love for something than because of fanatism and fighting for "causes", in my opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There's an ongoing clash involving "things were meant to be that way" vs "everything is a social construction", "everything should be meritocratic" vs "government should provide everything", and both sides think they are the epitome of wisdom.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Can't watch the video at the moment, but absolutely not. I live and Oregon and it's annoyingly liberal here. Partly because of the science deniers.

It is a product of extremeism.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think conservatives deny science. I think non representative enclaves within the GOP electorate are focused on by the media to further the narrative that all conservatives deny science.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Can't watch the video at the moment, but absolutely not. I live in Oregon and it's annoyingly liberal here. Partly because of the science deniers.

It is a product of extremism.
    I don't think it's a product of extremism. It's part of being human. We're all capable of denying truths that challenge what we believe. It's most obvious (in the US) when conservatives do it, a little less obvious when liberal "extremists" do it, but we're all capable of it. I don't think this should be dismissed as something only extremists, or those "other people", experience.

That said, this is something I really try to avoid, personally. See my signature I've had for the last year or two.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    yupp

so many liberals and so many conservatives snub their nose at scientific evidence. It depends on what it is and who they are
    conservatives: more likely to snub their nose at global warming and evolution
    liberals: more likely to snub their nose at the fact that things like oil pulling is bullshit.

so really it depends on what it is. I think conservative: if what I don't believe was true would it be harmful to my views?
    liberal: does what I believe in give me the allusion of being really healthy and spirtually balanced? waith guis hold onz i need to balance my chakras LOL
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Try talking to the green wing of the democrats about nuclear energy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Try talking to the green wing of the democrats about nuclear energy.
    If you had watched the video you would know that nuclear power was mentioned, specifically. He also mentioned GMOs and how liberals accept evolution for the most part, but deny it when it comes to behavior. So conservatives aren't the only ones who deny evolution.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Everyone will deny science when what science is saying is inconvenient to your worldview. That's why science isn't a belief, it's a practice.