User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 144

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default Social Inequality Is Natural

    Physicists say it's simple

    "An equal sharing of income, in this [scientific] view, is as likely as the air in your office collapsing into your empty coffee cup."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #2
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    And yet we are humans, capable of value judgement and of impacting the natural world. So we are left with the question "is what is natural necessarily what is good?"
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    And yet we are humans, capable of value judgement and of impacting the natural world. So we are left with the question "is what is natural necessarily what is good?"
    Treating this as a mathematical problem - which is what it is - and you have the good completely left out. On the other hand, it is usually if not always a bad idea to try fooling mother nature. You wouldn't mess with mother nature, would you?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #4
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Some inequality is necessary to create flow of goods and services, and to reward the clever and industrious. The question becomes how much is acceptable. The west could share a lot with say, Africa, and it wouldn't hurt the west.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Some inequality is necessary to create flow of goods and services, and to reward the clever and industrious. The question becomes how much is acceptable. The west could share a lot with say, Africa, and it wouldn't hurt the west.
    The West is already sharing with Africa. It's called charity.

    Foreign Assistance Fast Facts

    Here, on the other hand, are the non-charitable "donations," what you call "sharing."



    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #6
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Treating this as a mathematical problem - which is what it is - and you have the good completely left out. On the other hand, it is usually if not always a bad idea to try fooling mother nature. You wouldn't mess with mother nature, would you?
    I do it all the time, along with pretty much every other human alive.

    • Eat pasteurized food (or any food that was grown on a farm for that matter)
    • Live in a built structure rather than in a cave or a hole in the ground
    • Receive vaccinations
    • etc etc
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I do it all the time, along with pretty much every other human alive.

    • Eat pasteurized food (or any food that was grown on a farm for that matter)
    • Live in a built structure rather than in a cave or a hole in the ground
    • Receive vaccinations
    • etc etc
    • Reverse the law of gravity
    • Have your cake and eat it too
    • Unbreak a Grecian urn
    • Turn water into wine
    • etc etc
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #8
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    So once again science has....pointed out the obvious.

  9. #9
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The West is already sharing with Africa. It's called charity.

    Foreign Assistance Fast Facts

    Here, on the other hand, are the non-charitable "donations," what you call "sharing."



    Good point. I was thinking something along the lines of large scale infrastructure and education, though.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Physicists say it's simple

    "An equal sharing of income, in this [scientific] view, is as likely as the air in your office collapsing into your empty coffee cup."
    Yersinia pestis is also "natural".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. If it Exists does That mean It is Natural?
    By Mal12345 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
  2. Ugandan Minister of Ethics says, "Men raping girls is natural."
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
  4. Nature is Round, and Humans are Square
    By Haight in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO