User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    When my step-daughter and her little sister start to fight, which they often do, it is pure chaos around here.
    I'm the oldest of 8 children (6 boys, 2 girls) and my borderline sister was born immediately after me. She has alienated all of her siblings now, constantly starting fights with everyone over imaginary slights. And these aren't normal fights, to her everything is an earth shattering event. It's sad. She creates many times more discord than the other 7 of us combined. She has invented a childhood that never actually happened (I was there, I remember what actually happened). The worst part of it is that she has three young children and they're already showing signs of emotional abuse. Her husband enables her because it's easier for him to feed her delusions than to challenge her. That focuses her attention away from him onto others.

As for her MBTI type, I'd guess ESFJ, but I don't really know.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    But that's what government tries to do, reverse the laws of reality in order to attain some social ideal of its own mere invention. Government has for well over a century tried to ignore the laws of economics out of existence. Instead of treating economics as a science, government sees itself as a miracle-performing God that can reverse universal law.
    Which government? US? That country is notorious for it's failure in ridding social inequalities. Rich get richer and poor get poorer, and somehow it's their own fault.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Which government? US? That country is notorious for it's failure in ridding social inequalities. Rich get richer and poor get poorer, and somehow it's their own fault.
    Almost all, if not all, governments do it, and all governments will fail because it is like trying to reverse the laws of nature. However, some governments find more success at it because the populace beneath them is more willing to be dominated by a centralized authority. The successes, such as they are, are made possible by means of a culture that is the human variation on a doormat.

We Americans are not doormats. I'm not saying all of us, but there are enough of us to resist domination by central authority for as long as it takes. But as for financial inequality, it will always exist, at least until everybody possesses absolutely nothing.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm the oldest of 8 children (6 boys, 2 girls) and my borderline sister was born immediately after me. She has alienated all of her siblings now, constantly starting fights with everyone over imaginary slights. And these aren't normal fights, to her everything is an earth shattering event. It's sad. She creates many times more discord than the other 7 of us combined. She has invented a childhood that never actually happened (I was there, I remember what actually happened). The worst part of it is that she has three young children and they're already showing signs of emotional abuse. Her husband enables her because it's easier for him to feed her delusions than to challenge her. That focuses her attention away from him onto others.

As for her MBTI type, I'd guess ESFJ, but I don't really know.
    My step-daughter with BPD is an ESFP. She scored ISFP on a high school MBTI test (the kind that simply determines type by letter and not by function); but she is extremely extroverted, Se to the max. She is also diagnosed Bipolar and ADHD, but she takes medication for this. Not that it helps much, it does seem to keep the psychosis down. While the mood swings are under control - she used to go through daily if not hourly periods of mania and extreme gloominess - she now swings between loving and hating. But there is a central motivator behind these swings - getting what she wants versus not getting what she wants.

My step-daughter doesn't go on about her childhood or invent fantasies about it. That would be an Si trait, either dominant or auxiliary. As an Se-dominant, her focus is merely on getting what she wants NOW versus later, or worse yet, not getting it at all. So if you tell her we're going shopping in a few hours, she immediately starts getting ready (if this is an activity she wants) and then nags and nags us to leave until we finally give in.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

My sister has also been diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD, but I think those diagnoses are wrong. I think my sister has gone to an effort to fool therapists she's dealt with in the past. Borderline fits much, much better. My wife (an M.D. who is very interested in psychology) also believes she's borderline and not bipolar/ADHD. Medication isn't very helpful for borderline. Bipolar is a brain chemistry issue, so medication can help. But borderline is a brain structure issue. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the only thing that really works.

My sister has invented a childhood that never happened because she wants to be The Victim. In everything, she sees herself as a victim.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    My sister has also been diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD, but I think those diagnoses are wrong. I think my sister has gone to an effort to fool therapists she's dealt with in the past. Borderline fits much, much better. My wife (an M.D. who is very interested in psychology) also believes she's borderline and not bipolar/ADHD. Medication isn't very helpful for borderline. Bipolar is a brain chemistry issue, so medication can help. But borderline is a brain structure issue. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the only thing that really works.

My sister has invented a childhood that never happened because she wants to be The Victim. In everything, she sees herself as a victim.
    The nice thing about the bipolar diagnosis here (whether it's true or not) is that she gets some disability benefits out of it as well as free medications to treat it. I don't like gubmint assistance, on the other hand, gubmint hand-outs have so destroyed the economy over the last 80 years that it has created an environment of dependency in this country. At one time this would not have been socially acceptable, and according to many people around here it still isn't. On the other hand, it's better than trying to live out of a storage shed.

Ginkgo

Even if social inequality is natural, and that natural aspect of it is something of merit, it's equally natural that we resist and overcome it. So it seems foolish to venerate it or use that as an excuse to get a leg up on the disenfranchised.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    "Natural" is merely a descriptor, but often misinterpreted as a virtue.
    Sums up my thoughts.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Even if social inequality is natural, and that natural aspect of it is something of merit, it's equally natural that we resist and overcome it. So it seems foolish to venerate it or use it as an excuse to get a leg up on the disenfranchised.
    Who says that the naturalness of it is something of a merit? As for overcoming it, that would be impossible. It may be natural to resist it, however, humans do a lot of things "naturally" that are not meritorious.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Screw the poor. It's natural to have social inequality. I support the establishment. Anyone who thinks we need to raise taxes on the wealthy are a bunch of no good commies.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BWCB1890 View Post
    Screw the poor. It's natural to have social inequality. I support the establishment. Anyone who thinks we need to raise taxes on the wealthy are a bunch of no good commies.
    I don't think you read the article.